Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Restored! -- book WN w/ UR pts via Chase/Expedia phone call

Old May 18, 19, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

For those who prefer (for various reasons) to book Southwest flights using Chase UR points, you can *finally* do so again via phone call.

The process is similar to previous w/ Connexions except the initial CSR will transfer you to a "Southwest desk" (essentially someone w/ ability to pull up WN, purchase your ticket, and deduct your UR points).

So there's my first post... maybe for my second I should focus on something never discussed before... like what's the policy on saving seats... or why can't I bring my emotional support pack mule on board (how else am I supposed to carry my stone tablet boarding pass)... ;-)

(n.b., I fully support *appropriate* emotional support animals!)

Peaceful travels
synergistic and ENOTTY like this.
Old May 18, 19, 5:54 pm

Hooray! I won't have the opportunity to try this for a bit, but I sure hope you're right!
Old May 18, 19, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I have just transferred points in the past, but this would be more effective costwise for sure.
Old May 20, 19, 11:52 am

if ChaseUR handles WN bookings the same as AMEX treats pay-with-points by booking the paid ticket on your personal Chase Sapphire Reserve & then issuing a statement credit to offset (at $0.015/point), then this is an indirect opportunity to cut Chase & Expedia out of all future redemptions via dummy WN refundable booking subsequently cancelled.
Old May 20, 19, 1:39 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
if ChaseUR handles WN bookings the same as AMEX treats pay-with-points by booking the paid ticket on your personal Chase Sapphire Reserve & then issuing a statement credit to offset (at $0.015/point), then this is an indirect opportunity to cut Chase & Expedia out of all future redemptions via dummy WN refundable booking subsequently cancelled.
I have canceled refundable UR points bookings, but not WN tickets. The result was redeposit of points. In short, I don't think your trick would allow you to convert points to money.
Old May 20, 19, 2:06 pm

the refund was to points because the original payment to the airline was on a master credit card

the relevant data point for this new WN option is which credit card is used to pay WN - your own or the master
Old May 20, 19, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Colin View Post
the refund was to points because the original payment to the airline was on a master credit card

the relevant data point for this new WN option is which credit card is used to pay WN - your own or the master
While I don't have a personal data point yet, my understanding from talking with this "Southwest desk" is:

They're actually part of previous vendor Connexions

Any amount purchased w/ UR points will be using their "master" as before (any cash portion using your personal Chase)

Refund requests (incl WGA within 24hrs) will simply unwind these to their respective sources

Sorry...
​​​​​​​
Old May 20, 19, 6:26 pm

​​​​​​​For those of us who didn't do this before the vendor change, I just want to make sure - WGA cancelations after 24 hours are 'refunded' only as travel funds?

Last edited by ftnoob; May 22, 19 at 11:04 pm Reason: Thread flow
Old May 20, 19, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Yes (unless anyone knows an exception)

Also in that situation you can then interface directly w/ Southwest (web, app, phone) to manage the reservation (incl obtaining Travel Funds from price decreases)
synergistic likes this.

Last edited by ftnoob; May 22, 19 at 11:05 pm Reason: Thread flow
Old May 22, 19, 9:58 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Awesome

Fantastic news.
This will make requal for A list so much easier.
Although I do shudder at the thought of calling each time to make a reservation.

Would everyone agree that booking WN with UR points over the phone will always be a better deal than transferring UR to RR? In my rough calculations the net point/financial difference is largely miniscule. The true benefit is the elite credit, either for A list or Companion Pass, that you would not be getting if booking just with points.
synergistic likes this.
Old May 22, 19, 10:36 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Wonder what other folks think of this idea...

If I just make a high value dummy booking, say value of $600, then cancel it *after* 24hrs and get TTF, I could then just feed off of those TTF's to make future online bookings on the Southwest website without the need to call Chase UR at least for $600 worth of flights.

The only caveat to this as I understand is that the TTFs are locked with a 1 year expiration from the date that the ticket was initially booked.
But as long as I'm confident that I'll use the funds (*and* must complete travel by) the 1 year anniversary date - this should make booking tickets much more palatable, right?
Old May 22, 19, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA*G MM, AC 75K, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Short of cancelling, is booking through Chase less flexible if seeking day-of flight changes on an Anytime or Biz Select Fare, or in irrops situations? Also, if I cancel are the travel funds restricted to use by the same traveler, or within a year? Redeposited RR points have no such restrictions.

I wasn’t impressed when I called the Chase WN line last night, and the agent couldn’t tell me whether security fees were included in the UR points total.
Old May 22, 19, 10:43 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by mrkymark View Post

If I just make a high value dummy booking, say value of $600, then cancel it *after* 24hrs and get TTF, I could then just feed off of those TTF's to make future online bookings on the Southwest website without the need to call Chase UR at least for $600 worth of flights.

The only caveat to this as I understand is that the TTFs are locked with a 1 year expiration from the date that the ticket was initially booked.
But as long as I'm confident that I'll use the funds (*and* must complete travel by) the 1 year anniversary date - this should make booking tickets much more palatable, right?
I did this with Cit points. Book an Anytime fare if you want. When you cancel you have the option to select Refund or Travel Credit. Choose the Travel Credit and you have ticketless funds you must fly within a year of the original purchase.
Old May 22, 19, 1:06 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Would everyone agree that booking WN with UR points over the phone will always be a better deal than transferring UR to RR?
No. Cheaper flights often exceed 1.5 cents/point. If you are not chasing status, I'm not sure you are not almost always better off transferring to RR as the points have tremendous flexibility, but that is just my opinion.
Daze likes this.
Old May 22, 19, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Realizing you're aware, however for others would highlight caveat that funds become locked to "originally ticketed passenger"

Originally Posted by Explore View Post
Short of cancelling, is booking through Chase less flexible if seeking day-of flight changes on an Anytime or Biz Select Fare, or in irrops situations? Also, if I cancel are the travel funds restricted to use by the same traveler, or within a year? Redeposited RR points have no such restrictions.

I wasn’t impressed when I called the Chase WN line last night, and the agent couldn’t tell me whether security fees were included in the UR points total.
My data points for same-day & irops have been w/ WGA, and I interfaced directly w/ Southwest as though purchased ticket myself. My understanding is that would also apply w/ Bix & Anytime

If you cancel refundable fare, you can have UR pts redeposited (non-refundable results in travel funds restricted to traveler/year)

Sounds like your agent needs more training, security fees should be included w/ UR pts total (they essentially take the total cash fare and divide by 1.25 or 1.5)

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck View Post
No. Cheaper flights often exceed 1.5 cents/point. If you are not chasing status, I'm not sure you are not almost always better off transferring to RR as the points have tremendous flexibility, but that is just my opinion.
Concur there are advantages to each, and it's good to have options for different situations :-)

Search this Thread