Passenger removed from flight after a joke

Old May 15, 19, 10:25 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Allan38103 View Post
From what has been reported so far on FT, how can anyone make an intelligent conclusion about what actually happened when you weren't even there? Let's see the video, let's read witness statements, let's hear from the pilot, from the FA. ...
I'm throwing the BS flag on this to everyone who jumped to conclusions with the whole story.. It's embarrassing to even read this.

Someone please tell me the other side of the story
I agree in principle and await the crew’s side of the story, if and when they decide to share it - so far Southwest hasn’t said anything substantive. It isn’t wrong to criticize based on the information we have.
Old May 15, 19, 10:47 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Many of us cope with inappropriate remarks at work and deal with it. If the FA is such a delicate flower that every offender must be removed from her sight immediately, she's too fragile to work as a FA and be responsible for the lives of strangers in an emergency.

Unless a passenger either threatens the aircraft or threatens to physically harm another individual during the flight, such as declaring an intent to rape one's seatmate, it's hard to imagine a remark that would justify removing someone from a flight.

I don't even interpret the vodka remark as a joke. Some airlines do serve (free) alcohol throughout coach during bad delays and vodka would be a normal PDB in FC on domestic flights in the USA. What would be wrong with requesting alcohol during an onboard drinks service while stuck at the gate? Does the FA object to the idea that an adult might wish to drink an adult beverage?
Agreed, and for the record... A policy should indicate that if a FA wants to boot someone, they should be booted as well. They might start thinking twice before going through with an ejection.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 15, 19, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by strickerj View Post

I agree in principle and await the crew’s side of the story, if and when they decide to share it - so far Southwest hasn’t said anything substantive. It isn’t wrong to criticize based on the information we have.
In these cases, WN NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER gives the FA’s side of the story.

Nor do other airlines. They stonewall.

Only way there are consequences is if someone films it, as in the stroller incident or the Dr. Dao dragging. And then it’s not much.
drooley and screeton like this.
Old May 15, 19, 11:46 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post

In these cases, WN NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER gives the FA’s side of the story.

Nor do other airlines. They stonewall.

Only way there are consequences is if someone films it, as in the stroller incident or the Dr. Dao dragging. And then it’s not much.
And if I was the airline, I would probably not share either. They can not win at that point.
Old May 15, 19, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
And if I was the airline, I would probably not share either. They can not win at that point.
Please envision any circumstances in which the events and actions as described could create a "win" for the airline. (Unless you want to call the entire story a lie. Something that is often offered as a defense of FA/GA behaviour on these fora, but is possibly the most useless comment possible).
Old May 15, 19, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Is this not the same airline where many FA’s do wild jokes during the safety briefing. I see nothing wrong what this guy did.
drooley, screeton and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 15, 19, 1:53 pm

I remember a flight I was on with a light load and one FA spent almost the entire flight standing in the aisle talking to another off duty FA in uniform. The working FA bragged about then number of passengers that FA had had removed.

As far as the incident described in the article I wonder if there was something going on before the FA had the passenger removed.
Old May 15, 19, 1:58 pm

Some more details here: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/man-...013949969.html

Still coming from the same witness, but he seems reliable to me. (And not just because he's not even the person removed, and seemingly has nothing to gain here.)

Never piss off an FA if you want to fly.

Little kingdoms, big kings.
Old May 15, 19, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
The link above has hundreds of comments if you want to waste even more of your day - LOL!
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/man-...013949969.html
strickerj likes this.
Old May 15, 19, 3:52 pm

Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
Why cant I get the BeeGees, I Started A Joke, out of my head?
strickerj likes this.
Old May 15, 19, 7:23 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
Oh I’m not so sure about that. Surely they’ve seen the negative PR surrounding these issues in the last few years (starting with Dr. Dao on United) that are often exacerbated by the lack of proper responses. If they really thought there was more to it and they were justified, they could say so to try to assuage fears that you can’t say anything to anyone. (This is risky since it might just come across as tone-deaf instead.) But I’d argue saying “we regret that someone had a bad experience” - not even that they’re investigating the incident - is worse than saying nothing at all.
ursine1 likes this.
Old May 16, 19, 9:54 am

Clearly no one would be kicked off for making a joke.
Funny how we’re not hearing from the actual passenger involved, only someone who claims he was sitting by said passenger.
A lot of details are missing. In this day and age only a fool would believe everything he reads. The online outrage is both laughable and pitiful.
Old May 16, 19, 11:06 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by PlaneJane1 View Post
Funny how we’re not hearing from the actual passenger involved, only someone who claims he was sitting by said passenger.
Not sure why that is funny - If I were removed from a plane I wouldn't be speaking to the media either.
Old May 16, 19, 11:35 am

A lot of details are missing. In this day and age only a fool would believe everything he reads. The online outrage is both laughable and pitiful.
PlaneJane1, let me guess by your username that you are a FA or GA.

Let me guess by your first statement that you are new to flying. Because contrary to your statement, just a simple joke can clear the plane and detain the joker if the subject is a bomb.

Perhaps the actual passenger has been advised by their lawyer to remain silent for now.

Perhaps you are right and it's all a hoax, despite a news outlet interviewing the husband wife witnesses, and the news outlet's fact checking resources before airing the story.

Perhaps, PlaneJane1, you work for Southwest and this is your attempt to minimize the negative things said about your employer and what appears to be one of its abusive FA's.

Perhaps.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 16, 19, 1:35 pm

There are many very good reason we are not hearing from the passenger.

* He is scared ........ and is not about to say anything
* He is smart enough not to seek out media and make it a big deal.
* He went with cops and then disappeared
* He was supposed to be somewhere else and opted to keep quiet
* Cops had him in back room
* SW made him a deal
* something else?

By the way, I checked Flightaware - the flight was delayed about 3.5 hours that day. I would agree the whole thing "could" be fake, but highly doubt it.

Search this Thread