Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Why Rush to a Window Seat if You’re Just Going to Shut the Shade all Flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Rush to a Window Seat if You’re Just Going to Shut the Shade all Flight?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 9:41 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I have a solution that will please everyone: Auction window shade rights to the highest bidder. Another ancillary fee for airlines!
SCGustafson likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by jb3t

Most of the time there’s no sleeping, no sun glare, or nothing spooky outside. They just shut it to shut it. I say, if you’re going to do that, sit in an aisle.
It could be they just assume they're supposed to fill in the rows starting at the window, just to be polite or whatever, or if they think its a rule or something. My elderly mother, for example, would NEVER break an unwritten rule even when no rule exists (ask me sometime about her crazy rules about wearing heavy vs. lightweight coats!). But if they've climbed over you (in the aisle seat) to get to the window (and shut the shade), than that's just weird.
Old May 10, 2019, 1:59 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I avoid the window seat now (unless that’s the only exit row seat left) ever since that poor woman got sucked out the window.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I take the window for two reasons
1) I don't fit in one seat, so I purchase two seats and need a middle plus either a window or aisle.
2) I need to lean against the wall to be comfortable when sleeping due to herniated disks in my upper spine. Leaning my head back hurts, no matter what kind of pillow or cushion I've tried.

I rarely close the shade, even when I'm sleeping. I only do so if the sun is shining directly in and causing me discomfort, or glaring on my tablet. Which is rare, since I'm tall and my eyeline is generally near the top of the window, and I hang my tablet from the literature pocket, so it's fairly high as well (thank god for the Evolve interior!)

But I'm with everyone else - if you want the shade open, sit at a window and keep the shade open.

Originally Posted by ALARISstl
I avoid the window seat now (unless that’s the only exit row seat left) ever since that poor woman got sucked out the window.
* Blown out. Common mistake.
SCGustafson likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Why sit in the aisle if what you really want is to look out the window all flight?
Old May 11, 2019, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by jb3t
Is it me or do a large amount of people seem to rush to a window seat and then immediately shut the shade? This irritates me. As I board A16-A20, I typically grab exit row aisle. It seems that 75% of the time, a person strolls along a few people later, quickly grabs window and then SHUTS the shade for the entire flight. Might get lucky 1/2 through and have the person inch open the blind for 10 seconds and then shut again. I’ve even had this often on clear, night flights. I once had a guy fall asleep flying into Vegas at night (who does not want to see that?) so every 2 min, I reached over to inch up the blind until it was open. My contention is if you’re going to just shut the shade, take an aisle seat.

Now... I get if you’re trying to sleep, nestling into the window, if the sun is shining in your face, or if there’s lightning that you’d rather not see but come on, if it’s an hour or two flight on a nice day and you’re not being bothered, keep the shade open. Haha.
1) It's definitely just you and you might need to think about it.

2) Reaching over someone to open the shade is creepy and weird. Don't do it.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
I don't think you've thought this through.
Yeah, I have, and on many levels:

- I'm of the opinion that if something does happen, we're all pretty much fornicated anyway

- but in the rare case we're not, looking out the window won't help me much, as what's it going to tell me? "Oh excrement, we're on fire!" ... thank you, Captain Obvious

- For the last decade, 99% of the ~700-odd flights I've been on are on WN, so all 73Xs of pretty much the same airframe. Add to that unless I'm the one of the few people getting on via standby, I'm in the same seat on every flight- the penultimate rear starboard seat- and I know exactly where the closest exit doors are.

So yeah, I've thought it thru, not the least bit worried, and my shades will remain down as long as I can keep them that way.
joshua362 likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by ALARISstl
I avoid the window seat now ... ever since that poor woman got sucked out the window.
I'll never understand the irrationality of people.

How many times has that happened in the entire history of aviation?!
joshua362 likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I think most of us agree that whoever is in the window seat controls the shade, but with airlines cramming more seats into planes, the windows don't always align with the seats. So the more interesting question is who controls the shade if it is between seats. I like to look out the window and sometimes the only one I can look out of is ahead of my seat aligned with the headrest ahead of me. I find it really annoying when the person ahead of me reaches behind their head to block my view, but so far, I haven't had the nerve to actually reach ahead and reopen it. This isn't really an issue with Southwest, but has happened on other airlines where you can't just choose whatever seat you like on boarding.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Low Roller
....the windows don't always align with the seats. So the more interesting question is who controls the shade if it is between seats.....

Now - that is a question with no easy answer.

Does the person more forward control it, or does the person behind control it?
SCGustafson likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
* Blown out. Common mistake.
The Difference between blowing and sucking depends entirely on which side you are on.
Old May 12, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
The Difference between blowing and sucking depends entirely on which side you are on.
I've got multiple replies to that, but the only one of them that meets the FlyerTalk code of conduct standard is: it sucks to get blown out of an aircraft in flight.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by copperred
...Reaching over someone to open the shade is creepy and weird. Don't do it.
+1000. This is a gross invasion of the sleeping window-seat occupant's personal space.

Flyertalkers don't always agree, but in this case it's pretty universal: Sit in the window seat yourself if the open/close status is so important.
moondog and copperred like this.

Last edited by ehallison; May 15, 2019 at 1:08 pm
Old May 12, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
deleted

Last edited by Daze; May 12, 2019 at 8:07 pm Reason: wrong forum
Old May 13, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Now - that is a question with no easy answer.

Does the person more forward control it, or does the person behind control it?
Depends on where the sun is. Whoever is in the position to be more bothered by the sun (either because it is ahead of the plane and therefore could be in the eyes of the person in the rearward seat, or because it is behind the plane so there could be screen glare for the person in the forward seat) should control it.

Default at night or if there is no sun angle issue I would say should be the person in the rearward seat because they can see the window better - it is more in their perceived "territory."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.