Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Why Rush to a Window Seat if You’re Just Going to Shut the Shade all Flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP

Is it me or do a large amount of people seem to rush to a window seat and then immediately shut the shade? This irritates me. As I board A16-A20, I typically grab exit row aisle. It seems that 75% of the time, a person strolls along a few people later, quickly grabs window and then SHUTS the shade for the entire flight. Might get lucky 1/2 through and have the person inch open the blind for 10 seconds and then shut again. I’ve even had this often on clear, night flights. I once had a guy fall asleep flying into Vegas at night (who does not want to see that?) so every 2 min, I reached over to inch up the blind until it was open. My contention is if you’re going to just shut the shade, take an aisle seat.

Now... I get if you’re trying to sleep, nestling into the window, if the sun is shining in your face, or if there’s lightning that you’d rather not see but come on, if it’s an hour or two flight on a nice day and you’re not being bothered, keep the shade open. Haha.
Old May 9, 2019, 6:52 am

Some people like to sleep on the flight and don't want to have to get up to let other people out to go to the lavatory.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
I get what you are saying. But...

There are lots of reasons to take a window seat.

Not needing to get up. Leaning against the wall. Sleeping. The hope that nobody sits in the middle seat. Not having to hand drinks to your seatmate. Not getting the back of your seat grabbed by the 40th person on their way to the lav. The ability to keep the shade pulled in hopes of forgetting that we’re 30,000 feet above the earth.

If having the window shade open is that important to you, then you should probably choose the window seat.
aquanine, Lehava, jliehr and 25 others like this.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by jb3t
As I board A16-A20, I typically grab exit row aisle. It seems that 75% of the time, a person strolls along a few people later, quickly grabs window and then SHUTS the shade for the entire flight.
You won't have that problem with me.... I always take the window seat and always leave the shade open, unless certain situations dictate maybe I should leave it closed instead (such as if the rising or setting sun is shining directly into someone's eyes). For flights near sunrise or sunset, I'll even choose which side of the plane I sit on based on being able to keep the window open without blinding anyone.
Spanish likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe they take the window seat just for the sole purpose of controlling the shade and ensuring it is shut, because they want the cabin (or at least their row) to be as dark as possible so they can sleep or look at a small screen with as little glare as possible, and hate the people who leave it up all flight when all there is to look at is boring clouds or Nebraska.
CO-PLAT, wrp96, FFlash and 2 others like this.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:52 am

While you covered the "if you're sleeping part", even if you're NOT sleeping, since you have to bring your own "entertainment", it's difficult to see the screen a lot of times if the shade is up and the sun is blaring in on it. I always close the shade (regardless of airline) in case others are trying to sleep as well, or trying to watch their devices (even if flying DL with their IFE).
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
1st off, almost nobody wants the middle.
Some do not like aisle as they want to just rest or be in their own little world. No bathroom. No getting up, etc.

Then, they want to sleep, or rest/sleep against that wall.
Or watch tv.
Or just do not like the bright sun.
Or want to cool off.

Personally, I am bothered when on the aisle, or maybe even ACROSS the aisle and the direct sun is blinding me and they guy at the window is totally unaware how bad it is for others.
Sorry.
nsx, wrp96, johnjagg and 3 others like this.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by Bear96
... all there is to look at is ... Nebraska.
I like to follow our progress and I'm better than almost anyone at identifying random small towns and highways from the air. Its one of my few real talents.

Just imagine "Rain Man" in an airplane: "That's Salina... Salina Kansas down there..." That would be me.
catawba, nancypants, wrp96 and 7 others like this.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:44 am

I like the European rule. Shades open on takeoff and landing. It's reassuring to see the last 2 minutes on approach.

Other than that, the aisle pax can have it.
ryw and screeton like this.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:04 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Isn't that what 7A/8F are for? (or 9A/10F on the 737-800), so people get the window space without the actual window? Or eye masks.

It used to annoy me a lot, but I've sort of given up being annoyed. It mostly bothers me on takeoff/landing when people close the shades; the rest of the flight I feel like they can do what they want, even if it bothers me.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by LegalTender
I like the European rule. Shades open on takeoff and landing. It's reassuring to see the last 2 minutes on approach.

Other than that, the aisle pax can have it.
I think that’s the US rule too. Especially for exit rows.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bear96
Maybe they take the window seat just for the sole purpose of controlling the shade and ensuring it is shut, because they want the cabin (or at least their row) to be as dark as possible so they can sleep or look at a small screen with as little glare as possible, and hate the people who leave it up all flight when all there is to look at is boring clouds or Nebraska.
Funny you mention Nebraska. I've always said that the speed limit should be inversely correlated to the pleasantness of the scenery. For example, the speed limit should be 185 in Nebraska.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Silver
I'm confused. If you want to look out of the window why don't you take the window seat?
Old May 9, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jb3t
My contention is if you’re going to just shut the shade, take an aisle seat.
You can't have it both ways. Window seat controls the window shade. If you want control over the window shade, I'd suggest you should take a window seat.
wrp96, copperred, Spanish and 6 others like this.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I don't sleep well in places not a bed, being able to lean against a cabin wall greatly improves the odds of a sky nap.
kennycrudup likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.