Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Why Rush to a Window Seat if You’re Just Going to Shut the Shade all Flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Rush to a Window Seat if You’re Just Going to Shut the Shade all Flight?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
1st off, almost nobody wants the middle.
Some do not like aisle as they want to just rest or be in their own little world. No bathroom. No getting up, etc.

Then, they want to sleep, or rest/sleep against that wall.
Or watch tv.
Or just do not like the bright sun.
Or want to cool off.

Personally, I am bothered when on the aisle, or maybe even ACROSS the aisle and the direct sun is blinding me and they guy at the window is totally unaware how bad it is for others.
Sorry.
I used to think "oh the sun is on this side I don't want the glare so I'll sit on the opposite side". Then one flight I did that and the sun was blasting me through the guy's open window on the opposite side. Ever since if I have a morning or daytime flight I sit on the sun side and close the shade so I can control the glare.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
To keep it closed. I rarely sit at a window, and the first thing I normally do is close the window on the aisle I'm in (in the hope it stays closed), but if I'm tired or don't want the light I'll take the window so it stays closed.

(... and I put the people who look out the window at the first sign of turbulence in the same category as those who sit there in the back with me yet pop up the minute the "ding" goes off, so ....)
Old May 9, 2019, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by DCAFly
... For example, the speed limit should be 185 in Nebraska.
I drove thru NE once; for all intents and purposes, it is (... and probably for the reason you've described ).
Old May 9, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
I lean on the wall and sleep.
swaluvr likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
I like the European rule. Shades open on takeoff and landing.
Originally Posted by dlaue

I think that’s the US rule too. Especially for exit rows.
I dunno about exit rows as I'm never in one, but they don't seem to care in the back; if the flight is lightly loaded I'll close a few shades on the other side of the aisle too and they'll stay down for the duration of the flight

It's reassuring to see the last 2 minutes on approach.
Eh ... unless you're Clark Kent, there's f-all you can do about it anyway ....
Old May 9, 2019, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Maybe if WN had rows reserved for people without overactive bladders or some nervous tick which requires that they hop up 6 times during a 90-minute flight. But, it doesn't.

It you want not to be disturbed by others, take a window. You can pretend you don't speak English, can't hear anyway, and stare at the closed shade.
DCAFly likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Personally I look for the seat without the window. I like to lean against the wall and sleep, even on a short flight. I close the window. If you want it open I suggest to take the window seat.
swaluvr and synergistic like this.
Old May 9, 2019, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Eh ... unless you're Clark Kent, there's f-all you can do about it anyway ....
I don't think you've thought this through.

If the airplane crash lands, gets hit by birdstrike on landing, has an otherwise issue like a fire, it's important to actually notice whats going on directly outside for things like evacuation or even informing the crew (they can't see it all themselves, and cockpit doesn't really get a 360 degree view either!) about it.

I've never flew an airline that didn't enforce window blinds up during taxi, takeoff and landing. And I guess if an airline wouldn't strictly enforcing it, I wouldn't feel safe flying it.
Old May 9, 2019, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
...I've never flew an airline that didn't enforce window blinds up during taxi, takeoff and landing. And I guess if an airline wouldn't strictly enforcing it, I wouldn't feel safe flying it.
Though I would agree it would be a positive safety issue in a crash.... saying it was unsafe to fly is a stretch.

With over 16 million flights a year.. having a crash is very, very low. And, then having an issue with a closed window is even less. And of course, most emergency situations have advance warning to open the shades....

No safe?
Old May 9, 2019, 7:46 pm

Most accidents occur during take-off or landing. Crews not able to see outside can't evaluate which doors to use and won't see hazards, debris or fires that may affect an evacuation. We're talking two minutes at each end.
Often1 likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Though I would agree it would be a positive safety issue in a crash.... saying it was unsafe to fly is a stretch.

With over 16 million flights a year.. having a crash is very, very low. And, then having an issue with a closed window is even less. And of course, most emergency situations have advance warning to open the shades....

No safe?
Obviously "no safe" doesn't mean your chance to die will increase tenfold, but in the very unlikely case of evacuation during a failed take off or landing, open shades WILL DEFINITELY increase your chances quite a bit when you see whats going on outside (maybe even BEFORE the crashlanding itself making you aware of it)

And unfortunately quite some situations DID EXIST in the past where there was no advance warning. Strong sidewind turning the bird into a ditch? Brakes not working properly and the aircraft overshooting the landing strip?

It's not a MAJOR issue, but it's definitely something that increases safety.
Old May 9, 2019, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
I like sitting in the window seat and staring out the window.

Window shades should be banned. Problem solved.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
When I get stuck in a window seat the first thing I do is close the shade. Its really annoying when someone leaves the window shade open when the rest of the passengers are trying to watch the IFE. I will open it for the last couple minutes prior to landing. I will leave it up for night flights.
Old May 10, 2019, 2:31 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Never ending debate. I cannot even decide myself. On some flights I am bothered the shades are open, but on other flights bothered the shades are shut. Go figure.
Window blinds are the ”sweet spot” of service enhancements. U cant fix that and U need always something to be annoyed about it is so sweet
skyhighlander likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
OP Here...

i get it if you’re trying to sleep or if there’s glare (or lighting) but 90% of the time, that’s not the case. I see a lot, people quickly hopping in the window seat and immediately shutting the shade while the plane is loading (and I sit in the exit row 90% of the time). And it stays like that all flight.

Most of the time there’s no sleeping, no sun glare, or nothing spooky outside. They just shut it to shut it. I say, if you’re going to do that, sit in an aisle.

I like aitting in the aiale and having rhe shade open, unless bright. Haha. I like it both ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.