Took advantage of Anniversary Sale

Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Took advantage of Anniversary Sale

During the sale I scored a r/t SJC LAX in July for $106.50 and switched to an earlier flight that opened up.
$206 for my Parents and I from TPA-SJC after a, trans Atlantic cruise much better than ChoiceAir as 2 bags are free.

$134 tickets after $200 RR statement credit card r new credit card and $60 off as fare went down from SJC-PHXr/t for December break.

How did I do? Can I improve on any fares? Much better than Basic Econ or bag fees
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
KOA-HNL in September $29, at those prices the tickets are free for alot of people due to the lack of a $30 fee for a bag. No need for EBCI on such a short flight either.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:47 am

Can't imagine taking a $200 credit instead of almost $1000 in points, but to each their own. Perhaps you've already gotten the other bonus and aren't worried about 5/24.

Otherwise, not bad. We haven't been using WN much as of late, I think six flights so far this year. We do have some coming up that were a great deal with the free changes 'promo.' Keep an eye out on yours, you might find a more optimal routing that you can change to for free.

Last edited by synergistic; Jun 11, 2019 at 10:24 am Reason: Words and such
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by danielonn
During the sale I scored a r/t SJC LAX in July for $106.50 and switched to an earlier flight that opened up.
$206 for my Parents and I from TPA-SJC after a, trans Atlantic cruise much better than ChoiceAir as 2 bags are free.

$134 tickets after $200 RR statement credit card r new credit card and $60 off as fare went down from SJC-PHXr/t for December break.

How did I do? Can I improve on any fares? Much better than Basic Econ or bag fees
You should have actually gotten a credit card separately. Most people will get a card and earn 50-60,000 miles worth some $1,000 in future flights. They love it when people get a card via the ticket process as it saves them lots of money. But, at least you saved $200. And if you rarely ever fly WN, then $200 is better than points not used.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:45 am
jmw

You did fine. There are still $44 one-way fares SJC-BUR in July on certain days of the week. There were $39 fares during the anniversary sale SJC-BUR but they are long gone.

The points deal on the credit card is better, but only if you don't accidentally let the points expire. You probably have to spend money to keep the points alive and actually remember to do it. A redemption does not reset the expiration clock. I bet a lot of the credit card bonus points actually expire worthless from average folks forgetting about their RR accounts for two years.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by jmw
The points deal on the credit card is better, but only if you don't accidentally let the points expire. You probably have to spend money to keep the points alive and actually remember to do it. A redemption does not reset the expiration clock. I bet a lot of the credit card bonus points actually expire worthless from average folks forgetting about their RR accounts for two years.
This would be my son and his wife. They do not fly enough to even keep track of. A bit different than us - we add a new credit card every few months just to build up points, and fly at least monthly, usually multiple times. Companion pass for 11 months last year and all of this year. Second time around. Just upgraded WN credit card for more miles, perks.

Will be getting two new cards for us in November and work towards companion pass again.

Last edited by NoStressHere; Jun 11, 2019 at 7:00 pm
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I briefly looked but didn't find any good ex-MCI fares that aligned with my fall travel needs. In most years I book a few trips during the June sale but didn't get any this year.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:35 pm

Points don't expire as long as you keep the card account open.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:05 am

Southwest is now advertizing an anniversary Sale, looks like the last one wasn't official.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.