Wiki Posts
Search

Question about flights in general

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG / Airmiles
Question about flights in general

I am planning to book a WN flight for 3 days from Maui to Oahu and back, which will be in between my flight between Maui and Canada.

I was wondering if I miss my flight from Hawaii to Canada, and since it is a different airline. What happens then? I tried googling this online and everything is about missing a connecting flight.
Old May 3, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
You buy a new ticket
Old May 3, 2019, 9:27 am

If you buy an AT ticket you can cancel and get your money back or re-book.
Old May 3, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
As long as you cancel your Southwest flight more than 10 minutes before departure, they will give you the $ that you spent to use towards another Southwest ticket up to one year from the date you originally booked.
ATL10A likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Are you talking about a no show for your WN ticket or your AC ticket?

WN will either refund or issue a credit for future use (depending on the type of ticket) if you cancel at least 10 minutes prior to departure.

AC will depend on the fare rules of the specific ticket you purchase. Most likely is that if you no show, you lose the entire value of the ticket and must purchase a new one. But, you can't know that without checking the fare rules.

As these are separate tickets, they are dealt with entirely separately.
ursine1 likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by RhaspberryWind
I was wondering if I miss my flight from Hawaii to Canada, and since it is a different airline. What happens then?
This is your return/last flight, right? What would it have to do with any WN flights taken previously?
Old May 3, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
If you have not already booked your flights, I would recommend booking your entire itinerary as a "multiple city" flight. This way, if there is a problem with a delayed or cancelled flight the airlines involved will work to get your to your destination. I expect your inter-island flights would be on Hawaiian Airlines, which has more than 25 flights/ day between OGG and HNL. (Southwest only has 4). Since Hawaiian Airlines is competing with Southwest on inter-island fares, you may not save any money by booking on Southwest. Right now both Hawaiian and Southwest offer $29 fares on some OGG - HNL flights.

If you do book Southwest for your inter-island flights, consider getting to the airport early on the day you connect to your flight back to Canada in case something goes wrong with the Southwest flight. You can then cancel your Southwest flight (and keep 100% credit toward a future flight) and purchase a "walk up" fare on Hawaiian Airlines to Maui. This fare should not exceed $150 or so.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
You buy a new ticket
Not an ideal situation

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
If you buy an AT ticket you can cancel and get your money back or re-book.
Not an AT ticket

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
As long as you cancel your Southwest flight more than 10 minutes before departure, they will give you the $ that you spent to use towards another Southwest ticket up to one year from the date you originally booked.
We might never use SW again.

Originally Posted by Often1
Are you talking about a no show for your WN ticket or your AC ticket?

WN will either refund or issue a credit for future use (depending on the type of ticket) if you cancel at least 10 minutes prior to departure.

AC will depend on the fare rules of the specific ticket you purchase. Most likely is that if you no show, you lose the entire value of the ticket and must purchase a new one. But, you can't know that without checking the fare rules.

As these are separate tickets, they are dealt with entirely separately.
Originally Posted by dmbolp

Ah, and I was reading WN flights are luck of the draw.
This is your return/last flight, right? What would it have to do with any WN flights taken previously?
Nope, this will be my first WN flight ever.

Originally Posted by dlaue
If you have not already booked your flights, I would recommend booking your entire itinerary as a "multiple city" flight. This way, if there is a problem with a delayed or cancelled flight the airlines involved will work to get your to your destination. I expect your inter-island flights would be on Hawaiian Airlines, which has more than 25 flights/ day between OGG and HNL. (Southwest only has 4). Since Hawaiian Airlines is competing with Southwest on inter-island fares, you may not save any money by booking on Southwest. Right now both Hawaiian and Southwest offer $29 fares on some OGG - HNL flights.

If you do book Southwest for your inter-island flights, consider getting to the airport early on the day you connect to your flight back to Canada in case something goes wrong with the Southwest flight. You can then cancel your Southwest flight (and keep 100% credit toward a future flight) and purchase a "walk up" fare on Hawaiian Airlines to Maui. This fare should not exceed $150 or so.
We already booked our flight, but considering we decided to spend two weeks in Maui might be excessive, we wanted to check out other islands. We probably won't be using WN again, but that is definitely an option! Thank you!
Old May 3, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
What is the time period between flying WN from HNL to OGG, and onward on WS/AC to YVR/YYC?
Old May 3, 2019, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by RhaspberryWind
I am planning to book a WN flight for 3 days from Maui to Oahu and back, which will be in between my flight between Maui and Canada.

I was wondering if I miss my flight from Hawaii to Canada, and since it is a different airline. What happens then? I tried googling this online and everything is about missing a connecting flight.
What happens is up to the airline you are taking to Canada. Has nothing to do with Southwest. I would change your flight back to Maui to an earlier flight, maybe even the day before, to make sure you are there for your flight to Canada. Southwest doesn't charge a "change fee". But, you will have to pay the price difference if the earlier flight costs more.
ursine1 likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
If you miss your flight...you miss your flight and you are SOL.

Unless you are dealing with a connection mid itinerary on their airline booking, no airline is gonna give a rats arse why you missed the flight. Southwest however is one of the most accommodating on making cancellations and flight changes without fees. Book an AT fare that is fully refundable if your connection is in question going into it, otherwise you are subject to the flight credits of the AT fares if you want to do it on the cheap and roll the dice.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:51 pm

Assuming the language in the OP's initial post is correct and the question is regarding missing the flight back to the mainland, what would happen would be up to whatever carrier it is that they're flying back to the mainland.

If not and they're actually asking about missing a Southwest flight: If you arrive at the airport within 2 hours following scheduled departure, you'll be re-accommodated on a standby basis on the next available flight to your destination. Otherwise, failing to cancel within 10 minutes of departure means you forfeit the funds associated with the itinerary. Cancel in time and you can reuse those funds toward future travel on Southwest.
Old May 5, 2019, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ursine1
Assuming the language in the OP's initial post is correct and the question is regarding missing the flight back to the mainland, what would happen would be up to whatever carrier it is that they're flying back to the mainland.

If not and they're actually asking about missing a Southwest flight: If you arrive at the airport within 2 hours following scheduled departure, you'll be re-accommodated on a standby basis on the next available flight to your destination. Otherwise, failing to cancel within 10 minutes of departure means you forfeit the funds associated with the itinerary. Cancel in time and you can reuse those funds toward future travel on Southwest.
Ah, nope, my flight is WN (maybe if I choose to inter-island hop) and Air Canada. Unfortunately.

Originally Posted by PAX62
If you miss your flight...you miss your flight and you are SOL.

Unless you are dealing with a connection mid itinerary on their airline booking, no airline is gonna give a rats arse why you missed the flight. Southwest however is one of the most accommodating on making cancellations and flight changes without fees. Book an AT fare that is fully refundable if your connection is in question going into it, otherwise you are subject to the flight credits of the AT fares if you want to do it on the cheap and roll the dice.
What is an AT fare? Air Transat fare? I don't know how big I am at rolling the dice, but my husband did say, he's not too fond of spending two days in airports to get back to Canada.

Originally Posted by Tanic
What is the time period between flying WN from HNL to OGG, and onward on WS/AC to YVR/YYC?
Actually more like AC from Canada to OGG, then from WN to OGG to HNL and back. So, we wanted to see if we could do an island hop in the end of the trip, but it seems very risky. What are the chances flights are delayed and cancelled?
Old May 5, 2019, 5:09 pm

None of this makes any sense
Old May 5, 2019, 8:36 pm

AT is Anytime fare, Southwest's fully refundable fare.

So as I understand, you have a return flight booked from OGG to Canada, and you're worried about making the connection from a separately booked HNL-OGG. How much time does the flight you're looking at allow for that connection?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.