Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

obtaining proof of canceled flight for trip insurance

Old May 1, 2019, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

i had a recent prepaid hotel stay where i missed the first night because WN canceled my flight (due to weather). i am pursuing a claim with trip insurance, and they are asking for proof the flight was canceled. i tried calling WN and it was clear the rep did not understand what i was asking for, so i got nowhere.

does anyone know either a direct contact for proof that a specific flight on a specific date was canceled, or a better way of explaining what i need so that i might have better success calling WN's general phone number again? thanks!
Old May 1, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
HUACA.

Tell WN you need proof for insurance. Then the agent may know what you are looking for.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:05 pm

Does it need to come from Southwest? If not, you can search flights for recent dates at www.flightaware.com and get a screen shot or printout.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:34 am

For questions or comments regarding a past trip with Southwest, please contact Customer Relations at 1-855-234-4654 (M-F Business Hours)
When Customer Service is unable to help with a issue a Call to Customer Relations usually is best.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:39 am

If you want to avoid lengthy hold times, try Twitter (or the chat function in the Southwest app). Both are serviced by the Customer Relations team.
Old May 3, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
I needed one and sent an email to the customer service email. I had a response within 48 hours.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

update:

chat - they say they can't handle requests like this through chat
email - sent 5/2, still waiting for a response (beyond the automated "thank you for taking the time to contact us" response)
calling customer relations - got a message saying to call back during their open hours, but i did call within those times, so not sure what the issue is.

thanks for all the responses so far. fyi rove312 i originally tried a flightaware.com printout, but it was rejected and they told me it has to come from the airline.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by crabbing
email - sent 5/2, still waiting for a response (beyond the automated "thank you for taking the time to contact us" response)
calling customer relations - got a message saying to call back during their open hours, but i did call within those times, so not sure what the issue is.
There’s a backlog they’re trying to clear. Email response should come early this week if they don’t try and route it to another person to be worked.

As for the phones, they were testing different hours Thursday and Friday to see what impact that would have on email and social inquiries. Calling has been about an hour hold though.
Old May 6, 2019, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott, Hyatt
My wife is currently trying to do the exact same thing. She had a flight cancelled by Southwest the day before she was to depart for a cruise. Fortunately, she had purchased the insurance. Of course the insurance company also needs the reason the flight was cancelled, which is not readily accessible from SW. It wasn't due to weather. We think maybe maintenance, but we aren't certain. In any event, she sent an email to SW Customer Relations a couple of days ago. So far, she has just received the automated response. Hold times have been ~ one hour, so no luck there. We are going to try the FlightAware screenshot approach, but I doubt that will suffice.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: none
Originally Posted by Travel22
We are going to try the FlightAware screenshot approach, but I doubt that will suffice.
Why not find out first, from the insurance company, what THEY will accept as documentation? Then give it to them.

Simple. Instead of wasting time.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Panther02

There’s a backlog they’re trying to clear. Email response should come early this week if they don’t try and route it to another person to be worked.

As for the phones, they were testing different hours Thursday and Friday to see what impact that would have on email and social inquiries. Calling has been about an hour hold though.
You should probably be smarter with sensitive information.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.