Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slow ATL baggage claim for Southwest

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I used to travel to ATL a lot, first DL, Airtran then WN, it didn't matter, horrible slow baggage return, especially Sunday evenings.
Old May 2, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
LOL.

Don't think for a minute the grass is greener on the other side. In this case, the south side baggage claim.

Last time I checked a bag with DL, I looked all over for my bag. All the monitors said it was one carrousel--I scanned others for my flight number on the bag tags. Finally stood in line at the baggage desk to see what was going on. While standing there, I saw my bag at one of the (now stopped) carrousels I'd checked earlier). Went back by our announced carrousel and let the other pax know what was going on. (At some point I checked the app and was able to find the correct carrousel number there).
Old May 2, 2019, 3:19 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I have often been surprised by how long Southwest takes for luggage in ATL. I also have found it weird that they can't get the bags on the correct carousel and have to use staff to announce it. I quite like Delta's 20 minute guarantee but since bags are free on Southwest, I understand why they wouldn't be doing something like that. Usually, my bags are waiting for me after a DL flight. I guess it's just one of those minor annoyances that come with flying. Everything is "hurry up and wait"
Old May 10, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I set a new record yesterday at Midway. Seat belt sign turned off at the gate at 7:47pm. 17 minutes later I reached the baggage claim and both my bags were already on the conveyor.

However, my luck ended there. Long wait for a bus to the parking garage. Had to fight my way onto the bus as several people waiting did not get on. When I got to the pay lanes it was chaos. I have never seen so many cars there. The back up was onto the road way and no clear lines existed. It was almost 8:45 before I was able to pay and get out of there. Midway is not a fun airport to travel from.
Old May 11, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
. . . unless you take the Orange line.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:27 am

Transit doesn't go anywhere near my house.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
I set a new record yesterday at Midway. Seat belt sign turned off at the gate at 7:47pm. 17 minutes later I reached the baggage claim and both my bags were already on the conveyor.

However, my luck ended there. Long wait for a bus to the parking garage. Had to fight my way onto the bus as several people waiting did not get on. When I got to the pay lanes it was chaos. I have never seen so many cars there. The back up was onto the road way and no clear lines existed. It was almost 8:45 before I was able to pay and get out of there. Midway is not a fun airport to travel from.

17 minutes seems... astounding. Any chance your bags came in on an earlier flight?
Old May 13, 2019, 3:32 am

No. Other bags from my flight were falling onto the carousel as I was walking up. My 2 bags were early ones.
ursine1 likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by jackvogt
I have often been surprised by how long Southwest takes for luggage in ATL. I also have found it weird that they can't get the bags on the correct carousel and have to use staff to announce it. I quite like Delta's 20 minute guarantee but since bags are free on Southwest, I understand why they wouldn't be doing something like that. Usually, my bags are waiting for me after a DL flight. I guess it's just one of those minor annoyances that come with flying. Everything is "hurry up and wait"
Could it be since DL charges for bags they have less to unload faster to the belt vs WN people check free bags, more luggage to unload, but less crowded overhead

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.