Cancelled & Delayed

Old Apr 27, 19, 2:29 am
JRF
Original Poster

Programs: DL Flying Colonel, Hilton Diamond & a few other lower levls here and there
Cancelled & Delayed

My flight was delayed over an hour when I checked it before sunrise. One the way to the airport it was delayed another hour. Once at the airport, delayed another hour. (The flight was from Charlotte to Dallas non-stop.

My colleague texted me that his Seattle flight was delayed, delayed, cancelled.

My flight was delayed again.

I decided I could not risk my flight being cancelled. I had already cleared security at CLT so I walked to another terminal and paid the walkup fare and purchased a one way ticket on AA from CLT to DFW. Cost me more than half of a round trip ticket to Europe.

What did I learn? I had not flown on AA in over 20 years. The leg room in AA coach on this bird had more leg room than on newer WN planes. The flight crew was outstanding. I should consider AA in the future as well as WN as I cannot trust WN to tell me when a flight will be cancelled when they play the never ending delay flight game.

Be it weather, the max 8 problem, WN seems to be headed down the wrong path on how they are pushing delays further and further out. I think WN had a good idea before the day started that my fight was going to be delayed way further out or cancelled. If they had just said that up front, I could have managed to change within the WN system.

This is the 3rd time in the past 6 months WN has let me down!

Frustrated loyal as they get WN flyer.
Old Apr 27, 19, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Surely not going to defend WN.

Just know problems with other carriers happen. You can visit just about any of them (UA, AA, DL, etc) and find people that will never fly them again.

The MAX8 thing and a bit of weather yesterday may have just pushed WN a bit too far.

Just watching ABC morning news -900 flights cancelled across the country on Friday and 5,000 delays for all airlines. Not sure if any of that caught you.

Last edited by NoStressHere; Apr 27, 19 at 8:45 am
Old Apr 27, 19, 6:19 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Southwest operations have been dismal this year. They had the highest cancellation percentage of any domestic airline in the first quarter. This was even before the MAX issues.

They supposedly worked out their issues with their mechanics which was to fix a lot of these delays and cancellations.

I spent a Saturday trying to get from BNA to DAL in March and after 3 flight cancelations and 14 hours of waiting, I simply gave up and got my money back.

To add to the insult, they refused to give me the money back for the Early Bird boarding on the return, and lost my luggage for two days in the process.

I think they are really challenged this year and I am going to give them some time to work on themselves and I am going to see other airlines for a while.

WN and I are on a break.
Old Apr 27, 19, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by JRF View Post
My flight was delayed over an hour when I checked it before sunrise. One the way to the airport it was delayed another hour. Once at the airport, delayed another hour. (The flight was from Charlotte to Dallas non-stop.

My colleague texted me that his Seattle flight was delayed, delayed, cancelled.

My flight was delayed again.

I decided I could not risk my flight being cancelled. I had already cleared security at CLT so I walked to another terminal and paid the walkup fare and purchased a one way ticket on AA from CLT to DFW. Cost me more than half of a round trip ticket to Europe.

What did I learn? I had not flown on AA in over 20 years. The leg room in AA coach on this bird had more leg room than on newer WN planes. The flight crew was outstanding. I should consider AA in the future as well as WN as I cannot trust WN to tell me when a flight will be cancelled when they play the never ending delay flight game.

Be it weather, the max 8 problem, WN seems to be headed down the wrong path on how they are pushing delays further and further out. I think WN had a good idea before the day started that my fight was going to be delayed way further out or cancelled. If they had just said that up front, I could have managed to change within the WN system.

This is the 3rd time in the past 6 months WN has let me down!

Frustrated loyal as they get WN flyer.
Was your original flight eventually cancelled?
Old Apr 27, 19, 2:05 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Well each airline has their pros and cons but AA probably has the most. If you hate rolling delays, then AA will make you want to pull your hair out. I am no fan of Southwest but I think you'll find that they are better than AA.
Old Apr 27, 19, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
One of the reasons not to book WN, as you have now learned, is that it does not have interline agreements with other carriers. You had to pay the walk up fare on AA because WN could not rebook you onto AA, no matter how many delays or cancellation.
Old Apr 29, 19, 9:52 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by NextTrip View Post
Was your original flight eventually cancelled?
Looking at flightaware for last week, it appears all of the flights made it. Thursday and Friday flights were late by about 3 and 4 hours respectively.
Originally Posted by jackvogt View Post
Well each airline has their pros and cons but AA probably has the most. If you hate rolling delays, then AA will make you want to pull your hair out. I am no fan of Southwest but I think you'll find that they are better than AA.
All airlines do rolling delays, and yes they are annoying.

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
One of the reasons not to book WN, as you have now learned, is that it does not have interline agreements with other carriers. You had to pay the walk up fare on AA because WN could not rebook you onto AA, no matter how many delays or cancellation.
Would AA (or UA or DL) really have interlined him over to another airline for a delayed flight? I am doubting it.
dmbolp, lougord99 and NextTrip like this.
Old Apr 29, 19, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
DEN-BOS horribly delayed last Friday. I did the same thing - found a JetBlue flight leaving within 15 minutes of WN's original flight, booked it, canceled the WN flight. Now then: When will I use the travel bank funds? Could be a while, given their scheduling messes.
Old Apr 29, 19, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
DEN-BOS horribly delayed last Friday. I did the same thing - found a JetBlue flight leaving within 15 minutes of WN's original flight, booked it, canceled the WN flight. Now then: When will I use the travel bank funds? Could be a while, given their scheduling messes.
Cant you demand a refund (actual cash) in this case?

Old Apr 29, 19, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA/DL/UA
What did I learn? I had not flown on AA in over 20 years. The leg room in AA coach on this bird had more leg room than on newer WN planes.
You must have sat in Main Cabin Extra. Sit in "regular" economy and you'll want the spaciousness of WN seating.

DL and UA do the same thing... more legroom in the front of the coach cabin for either more money or a higher priced ticket, and less legroom in the back.
NextTrip likes this.
Old Apr 29, 19, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by spongenotbob View Post

CoC says refund due back via method of original payment (except gift card, which is "refunded" as travel funds) in case of delay or cancellation.
Old Apr 30, 19, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by spongenotbob View Post

When I canceled online, the only option was travel bank.
Old Apr 30, 19, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
When I canceled online, the only option was travel bank.
How long ultimately was the "horrible" delay?
Old Apr 30, 19, 12:38 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
I had not flown on AA in over 20 years. The leg room in AA coach on this bird had more leg room than on newer WN planes. The flight crew was outstanding.
Maybe they've finally moved away from their "East German prison guard" flight crew attitude?
Old Apr 30, 19, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL PM
Notified around 3pm today that today's 7:30pm nonstop TPA-STL flight is canceled.

Last edited by dalehill; Apr 30, 19 at 1:25 pm Reason: typo

Search this Thread