Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Alive!] Free changes in October (was: free changes in July/August/September)

Old Apr 26, 19, 8:38 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member

If you have a trip booked between July 1 and August 5 you should attempt a Change to a better date or time or a better co-terminal city. I have consistently seen the banner allowing a free change within plus or minus 14 days for the same cities or co-terminal cities. I have even been able to re-change a flight I already changed or one I just bought.

This looks like an unannounced mini version of the unlimited free changes offered in March. It could end at any time, so bloggers please please don't publicize it. This loophole is too small and short-lived to do anything but annoy your readers. The people here have much more use for it.

Everyone, please trust other readers to figure out how to use this opportunity to their advantage. We are all pretty smart here. There is no need to supply all the details in circles and arrows fashion. If you do that I will probably remove the details in the interest of not killing the deal. Just post that you were able to benefit.
sggolf, joshua362, Tanic and 7 others like this.
Old Apr 26, 19, 9:32 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I wonder if this is a precursor / foreshadowing of substantial flight cancellations & changes given the peak travel season and the MAX planes not coming back in time...
Old Apr 26, 19, 12:07 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Bottom line... no matter WHEN you are flying, login and try to make a change and see what happens. We were very lucky on a few June flights. Tried on some others and no luck. My wild a$$ guess is there might be some logic to this, but it just as well could be they open and close the window from time to time as they are dealing with issues.
nsx likes this.
Old Apr 26, 19, 1:37 pm

Southwest's systems lacks the ability to protect flights based on aircraft type. This allows customers to self-change which reduces telephone CS volume. This will likely end at or just after the point at which they finish manually rebooking individual itineraries / contacting customers, which was stated as the end of April.
Old Apr 26, 19, 1:52 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Thanks nsx et al, I was able to get my flights changed for the MUCH MUCH better. I appreciate the heads up!
nsx likes this.
Old Apr 26, 19, 6:00 pm

Thanks for letting us know! Worked out really well for me!
Old Apr 26, 19, 6:35 pm

Thank you for this post. I did not take proper advantage of this last time around, was able to use it to our great advantage today - many, many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Old Apr 26, 19, 10:20 pm

I was able to change late June flights from LAX to Long Beach for no charge. I was planning on paying the difference but was pretty happy to see it at no charge.
Old Apr 27, 19, 7:22 pm

Thanks, used this to get better times on two trips I needed to book in July.
Old Apr 27, 19, 11:06 pm
nsx
Original Poster

Since people have now had enough time to make their July changes I will mention a trick that's not obvious. Suppose you want a particular flight in the second half of June. Maybe you bought a different flight or maybe you haven't bought anything yet. Find the cheapest flight between the same cities or co-terminal cities on July 1 or 2. Change to that flight or book that flight. Then change your new July flight, which should give you a 14-day window extending back into June. Similarly you can extend from August 5 to mid-August. You can buy low and fly high for most of the summer.

Your savings can be substantial. Looking at Low Fare Calendars for July, minimum prices for the various intra-California markets range from $44 to over $90, not even counting the premium for peak Friday and Sunday hours.
Tanic and synergistic like this.
Old Apr 28, 19, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by nsx View Post
Since people have now had enough time to make their July changes I will mention a trick that's not obvious. Suppose you want a particular flight in the second half of June. Maybe you bought a different flight or maybe you haven't bought anything yet. Find the cheapest flight between the same cities or co-terminal cities on July 1 or 2. Change to that flight or book that flight. Then change your new July flight, which should give you a 14-day window extending back into June. Similarly you can extend from August 5 to mid-August. You can buy low and fly high for most of the summer.

Your savings can be substantial. Looking at Low Fare Calendars for July, minimum prices for the various intra-California markets range from $44 to over $90, not even counting the premium for peak Friday and Sunday hours.
I had not managed to figure that out during the first round of changes, but when you mentioned you were able to change a flight right after changing your flight, I tried it immediately. Again, thank you. You saved us something like 25k points for two Florida-West Coast trips.
Old Apr 28, 19, 8:19 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Worked great for me today. I booked a flight on Wed 7/10 this morning with points (doubt this matters) that was only $149 and then immediately changed to a flight Mon 7/8 that had only Anytime/Bus Select fares available for 500+. Got this message and changed my flight. Thanks!!!

You may change your trip date/time at no additional cost if you stay inside the restrictions below.
DEPART FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS
Departure airport must be: Portland, OR - PDX
Arrival airport must be: Chicago (Midway), IL - MDW
Travel dates are between: 6/26/2019 to 7/24/2019
Note: Changes made outside the conditions listed above will not be protected under our established reaccommodation practices and may result in a higher fare.
Old Apr 29, 19, 9:22 am

Is this book/change trick still working? I was unable to do it today.
Old Apr 29, 19, 9:35 am
nsx
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerchuk View Post
Is this book/change trick still working? I was unable to do it today.
Itís dead, Jim. No more red banner on the app when I click on a July trip. It lasted longer than I had expected. Iím glad several loyal readers were able to benefit.
FindAWay likes this.
Old May 9, 19, 11:33 am
nsx
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx View Post
It could end at any time, so bloggers please please don't publicize it.
I would like to belatedly thank all bloggers who read this forum for refraining from posting about this deal. It would have died immediately rather than continuing for a few days as it did, benefiting more people. Well done, everyone.
mile ho, Air Houston and aquanine like this.

Search this Thread