FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Flight Cancellation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1966579-flight-cancellation.html)

scott_w Apr 23, 2019 6:48 am

Flight Cancellation

I am scheduled on a mid-morning flight out of LAS on Thursday. I noticed that the same flight was cancelled yesterday and today. I have never had a flight cancelled that I was booked on. So, I don't know what the process is if my flight gets cancelled Thursday. What is the process? After you learn of the cancellation do you call WN? Do they give you options for other flights? Can you rebook online? Thanks.

H_X Apr 23, 2019 7:07 am

In February I received a text message about 6 hours before my scheduled departure time (evening), that my flight was canceled because of anticipated winter weather at my destination. Later in the afternoon, I received another text that I had been automatically rebooked on a flight the next afternoon. The next morning's flights had also been canceled. Since the rebooked flight didn't meet my needs, I went to the WN website to cancel. I flew out the next morning on a different airline.

lougord99 Apr 23, 2019 7:47 am

Originally Posted by scott_w (Post 31028375)
I am scheduled on a mid-morning flight out of LAS on Thursday. I noticed that the same flight was cancelled yesterday and today. I have never had a flight cancelled that I was booked on. So, I don't know what the process is if my flight gets cancelled Thursday. What is the process? After you learn of the cancellation do you call WN? Do they give you options for other flights? Can you rebook online? Thanks.

All of the above. The last time my flight was cancelled, they emailed me a special number to call which had no wait time. However, I would not call before I knew which flights I want. Don't count on them to give you all options.

NoStressHere Apr 23, 2019 7:50 am

Originally Posted by scott_w (Post 31028375)

First off - where to and flight number - some folks might be able to help.

As to the other questions... there are a few threads here about cancels happening recently due to MAX8 issues. First think you want to do is to look and see if there is a better flight you want. Do this yourself BEFORE calling. Also, if you are concerned right now and you see a flight you would prefer - there is a good chance you can log on and change it yourself.. at no extra charge. Maybe.

Bottom line - get online and check out your options.

scott_w Apr 23, 2019 9:57 am

LAS-BWI flight number 2032.

NoStressHere Apr 24, 2019 7:35 am

Interesting - that flight was cancelled on Mon and Tues this week. That flight comes from Phoenix to Vegas to BWI. Phoenix leg was cancelled Tues but not on Monday.

Both flights are still on track for Wed. I would check those.

PHX-LAS showing sold out for today - Wed, but still selling for Thurs
LAS-BWI - showing sold out for Wed - but still selling for Thurs

Might be okay, but I think your concern is valid. Assume you have the SW app... keep checking. If you are open to the earlier or later flight, I would consider calling to change before it is possibly cancelled - guessing they would do the change without cost. Let us know what happens.

Often1 Apr 24, 2019 7:56 am

As with all travel, you should have your backup plans researched in case there is a cancellation or significant delay. Don't count on others to offer you what may be the best option.

In the event that your flight is cancelled, there are two later nonstop flights to BWI as well as other options with stops and perhaps other acceptable destinations such as PHL. All depends where you are ultimately headed after you leave BWI.

Have those flight numbers handy and call immediately. WN will have a planeload of passengers to deal with and the better options will go quickly. Read off the exact reroute you want to the agent and, if it is available, it will be yours. Don't worry about fare as that will be covered.

scott_w Apr 24, 2019 9:48 am

I do have my backup options ready. I have just never had a flight be cancelled on me before (knocks wood) and did not know what the process is when that happens. Flight looks good today and tomorrow so far. Maybe they are done cancelling it for the week.

carlitos Apr 24, 2019 10:28 am

Originally Posted by scott_w (Post 31032819)
I do have my backup options ready. I have just never had a flight be cancelled on me before (knocks wood) and did not know what the process is when that happens. Flight looks good today and tomorrow so far. Maybe they are done cancelling it for the week.

Well, I, on the other hand, did know what to do in case it happened and it happened this past weekend.
Thing is, it happened while on the weirdest situation for me. I hold Companion Pass and I am the one who travels WN for work (UA being my other preferred carrier) and I am always attaching my SO to my reservations. Well, my SO went for the January promo and got Companion too, without telling me (yea, I know ...), meaning she wants to use her CSR points now, and she is travelling to see the family every time she can.
She attached ME as her companion and WN cancelled my late Sunday (after Easter Party) from the East side of the country flight to PHX connecting to SNA. Guess what, it is impossible to change that as companion. My wife, who always calls everyone and anyone, called WN and of course, no way of getting out on a Sunday, as the most they had is one open seat (yes, companion gets screwed, LOL). Ended up flying AA to PHX and then to LAX, while SO re-booked herself for late Monday. And yes, I have my $5.60 back :rolleyes:

BTW, absolutely NO email of cancellation from WN, so figured it out while trying to check in. Can't hold WN accountable, after all, I displace soooo much Revenue from them while activating companion on super expensive fares, that I do take the hit and go to another carrier.