Wiki Posts
Search

No more DTW-ATL nonstops?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
No more DTW-ATL nonstops?

I just looked at the WN website for late June, only to find no more nonstops. As of early June, everything goes thru MDW or BNA. Cant find any announcements on their website or any threads here. Anyone have more info about this?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:11 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Well Southwest clearly has no desire to be competitive in Atlanta. You'd think of all routes that would be one they would try to compete on.
LegalTender likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Both DTW-ATL and MSP-ATL flights are ending on June 9th (was announced some time back -- November 15th schedule extension). Presumably squeezed between DL and NK on these routes. Tough to compete with DL with big time FF bases on both ends and oodles of frequencies.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...le/2010189002/

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 22, 2019 at 12:34 pm
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by jackvogt
You'd think of all routes that would be one they would try to compete on.
I would actually think the exact opposite.
ryw likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In what world could WN compete? DL has 11 frequencies to WN's 2. For roughly the price of BS on WN, you can fly in F on DL.

Competing would mean adding a lot of frequencies and cutting fares. That might generate revenue, but it won't generate profit.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
In what world could WN compete? DL has 11 frequencies to WN's 2. For roughly the price of BS on WN, you can fly in F on DL.
Same dilemma with other markets ex-ATL. Why 'would could' WN compete at any airport where they have ~9% of the traffic? LAX being an exception.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by xliioper
Both DTW-ATL and MSP-ATL flights are ending on June 9th (was announced some time back -- November 15th schedule extension). Presumably squeezed between DL and NK on these routes. Tough to compete with DL with big time FF bases on both ends and oodles of frequencies.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...le/2010189002/
Thanks for the link I couldn't find anything online.

WN at least kept DL fares reasonable on a hub-to-hub route. I can only imagine how bad Delta fares will be in the near future!
Air Houston likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DavidDTW

WN at least kept DL fares reasonable on a hub-to-hub route. I can only imagine how bad Delta fares will be in the near future!
It wasn't WN setting low fares in the market - it was Spirit.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It wasn't WN setting low fares in the market - it was Spirit.
Not really any more. I just checked a flight in September and Southwest was $2 less than Delta and Spirit was $30 more than Delta.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I just checked a flight in September and Southwest was $2 less than Delta and Spirit was $30 more than Delta.
Southwest doesn't offer DTW-ATL non-stops in September. Spirit and Delta do.

Spirit's one-way fare is $62.34 (T,W,Sa) and $103.29 other days.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Not really any more. I just checked a flight in September and Southwest was $2 less than Delta and Spirit was $30 more than Delta.
A single flight (or single date) in September is not a robust statistical case.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Same dilemma with other markets ex-ATL. Why 'would could' WN compete at any airport where they have ~9% of the traffic? LAX being an exception.
Well sure, DL is going to be stronger than just about anybody in ATL. When WN has a "hub" or strong city on the other end, they can probably compete. DTW being a DL hub however makes is doubly hard.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
When WN has a "hub" or strong city on the other end, they can probably compete. DTW being a DL hub however makes is doubly hard.
Then ATL-LAS should be owned by WN under that premise. Though WN only dropped fractionally year-over-year (9.87%-9.18%), Atlanta is a diminishing asset. MAX not yet calculated, of course.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Then ATL-LAS should be owned by WN under that premise. Though WN only dropped fractionally year-over-year (9.87%-9.18%), Atlanta is a diminishing asset. MAX not yet calculated, of course.
I said they could compete not own it. ATL for DL is the largest hub in the country. It is going to dwarf anything that WN has anywhere.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I said they could compete not own it. ATL for DL is the largest hub in the country. It is going to dwarf anything that WN has anywhere.
Facts known before ATL-DTW and ATL-MSP were attempted.

It will be instructive to see how ATL-BNA performs for WN. They launched 5x-a-day nine months ago and still operate all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.