Flight zeroed out. Can I change now?

Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by mmthomas44
no seats available at any price; but still listed as available.
What does that even mean? If no seats are for sale is it listed as "available" or is it simply just "scheduled"
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
What does that even mean? If no seats are for sale is it listed as "available" or is it simply just "scheduled"
Showing upon search but with no seats available, vs not showing at all.

Most likely (given the current situation) an indicator that the flight will ultimately be cancelled.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by carlitos
Ok, all my flights for June, even if they are zero out or not (I have 10) are allowing me to make changes without paying difference between the fare I paid and the actual fare for the flight I want to change them to (June 6 to Junes 28). Now, for the 5 flights I already have purchased in July, one of them is zeroed out and the other 4 are not. For those, I do not have the message allowing me to change them 14 days before or after without paying the fare difference. That means WN has not gotten to July yet, with the 737MAX situation, and that means you will not be able to change it for free without incurring in the payment of fare difference. Maybe you will have to wait a couple more days or weeks for that to happen, if it even happens. Just my 0.02 Cents.
My understanding is that Southwest is now processing the cancellations through August 5, and should finish contacting effected passengers by the end of April.
mmthomas44 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Online attempted change shows 3X original fare for desired flight change.

The question really is does southwest consider a zeroed flight a valid situation for a no cost change.
Totally confused here. If there are no seats, how can it show a 3x fare?

Please share flight and folks might be able to provide some assistance.

Until then, we are all shooting in the dark.
synergistic likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:48 am

I assume alt flights are 3x, but who knows with nothing to go on
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by ursine1
My understanding is that Southwest is now processing the cancellations through August 5, and should finish contacting effected passengers by the end of April.
Well, as always, what they do with humans does not compare to what the automated system does. I actually still can change all my reservations for June even to a co terminal (that works for me, as my local airport is mega expensive) meaning my employer might save a lot of money on this one. I usually book myself to the mega hub with really low prices due to competition. I changed only two of them that work better for me, but even after changing those, I still have the red letters that say I can still change it again 14 days before or after and the airports that apply as co terminals. But for July, NON of my reservations have that red wording allowing it.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:06 pm

My understanding is that the system zeros out the MAX flights, then humans take a look and decide what to keep and what not to, and who gets moved to which alternate flights. Then cancellations are made and notices are sent out. It's essentially a hybrid system, hence the time needed to finish processing July.

One question, when you make a change under the waiver doesn't the fare stay the same?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
My understanding is that the system zeros out the MAX flights, then humans take a look and decide what to keep and what not to, and who gets moved to which alternate flights. Then cancellations are made and notices are sent out. It's essentially a hybrid system, hence the time needed to finish processing July.
Bizarre. I got the big red warning (in the app) for a flight in July which had indeed been zero‘ed out for a long time. Yet the exact same flight is currently wide open & available for purchase.

If I choose to cancel for refund but this ticket was bought with a variety of old TTF’s, any chance of converting those back to cash?

Thanks FT!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
There is 0 chance you will get cash for the TTF portion of your purchase.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

OP here.

Original Flight on 7/15 cancelled today. I did not receive any notice. I was able to online rebook for 7/13 at no additional cost. Both PNRs were the same condition. New flights were 3x original cost.

Thanks to the responder who told me I could rebook online at no cost after the flight was cancelled. It was interesting I did not get any notice of the flight cancellation and rebook opportunity. I have been watching the flight for several days, a few times per day. It was still zeroed out at 8am today, noticed cancelled at 10pm.

N.B. The ticket number was reissued. Original ticket payed in points. Reissued ticket with new number shows $ payment at original price. Wanagetaway so no refund or redeposit if cancelled;

Last edited by mmthomas44; Apr 22, 2019 at 10:47 pm Reason: ticket reissue observations
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:00 am

OP here.

Original Flight on 7/15 cancelled today. I did not receive any notice. I was able to online rebook for 7/13 at no additional cost. Both PNRs were the same condition. New flights were 3x original cost.

Thanks to the responder who told me I could rebook online at no cost after the flight was cancelled. It was interesting I did not get any notice of the flight cancellation and rebook opportunity. I have been watching the flight for several days, a few times per day. It was still zeroed out at 8am today, noticed cancelled at 10pm.

N.B. The ticket number was reissued. Original ticket payed in points. Reissued ticket with new number shows $ payment at original price. Wanagetaway so no refund or redeposit if cancelled;
No notification isn't exactly shocking. Assuming you entered your email address correctly when booking you may still receive a notification, tomorrow... a few days from now.

Points rebookings should remain points bookings, even when protected by waiver. You might want to contact Southwest to double check you'll receive points back if you cancel.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:18 am

July data point: My 4 flights in July all now have the Red change message on the app, and overnight I received 2 e-mails changing the schedule for 2 of the flights

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.