Community
Wiki Posts
Search

nonstops FLL - LGA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:49 am
Original Poster

nonstops FLL - LGA

I was searching on SW site for nonstops from FLL-LGA and was surprised there were hardly any. I thought they had more. Same with FLL-LGA - maybe 1 nonstop a day , if that
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by jmsnyc
I was searching on SW site for nonstops from FLL-LGA and was surprised there were hardly any. I thought they had more. Same with FLL-LGA - maybe 1 nonstop a day , if that
There are hardly any at this point. I think in April it's like once a week or something similar. EWR is no better. I don't know the history of this route but it seems that WN has ceded the entirety of NYC-FLL to others: if you want nonstop LGA-FLL you still have plenty of options with NK, B6, or DL. If you absolutely have to fly WN (to take advantage of the companion pass, for example), then you'll probably just have to deal with stopping somewhere along the way.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:24 am

There are also no nonstops from FLL to ISP (and vice versa) for all of the summer and fall. Totally removed from the system. Really lousy.
joshua362 and jmsnyc like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:05 pm

Hardly any FLL-LGA, either ;-)

In all seriousness, I'm finding that I don't expect to use our companion pass as much as we did when we lived near Orlando. Part of that is just a general increase in WN pricing, but the schedules out of FLL and PBI just don't seem to work optimally for us.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ave1024
There are also no nonstops from FLL to ISP (and vice versa) for all of the summer and fall. Totally removed from the system. Really lousy.
Actually, Frontier still flies FLL-ISP. If he want to fly on Frontier Airlines. That's his choice.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
I was searching on SW site for nonstops from FLL-LGA and was surprised there were hardly any.
It took 52 years for WN to finally serve the most southwest state. Guess they had to lighten up on the northeast.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
ISP to PBI -non stops available
synergistic likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
It took 52 years for WN to finally serve the most southwest state. Guess they had to lighten up on the northeast.
LGA is still slot limited they are flying all slots available
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
NYC-South Florida (FLL/MIA/PBI) is, I think, the most heavily trafficked domestic air route. Given the size of WN ops at FLL I'm surprised they don't make this work. On FLL-LGA alone they compete with Delta, JetBlue and Spirit - but many routes support 4 (or even five/six) carriers. Maybe it's too competitive to be among their more profitable uses of LGA slots.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
NYC-South Florida (FLL/MIA/PBI) is, I think, the most heavily trafficked domestic air route. Given the size of WN ops at FLL I'm surprised they don't make this work. On FLL-LGA alone they compete with Delta, JetBlue and Spirit - but many routes support 4 (or even five/six) carriers. Maybe it's too competitive to be among their more profitable uses of LGA slots.
WN tried EWR-FLL and EWR-MCO but wasn't successful. If it was going to try, FLL should have been tried from LGA and ATL from EWR, post AirTran acquisition, but WN has been hard-set keeping LGA-ATL at 5x daily while giving EWR nothing to ATL.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, National Executive, Alaksa MVP
Does WN still own the slots at HPN they acquired from AirTrain?
Old May 30, 2019, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by rpk113
Does WN still own the slots at HPN they acquired from AirTrain?
There are no slots at HPN but there is an hourly passenger cap. Also there’s no airtrain at HPN but I’ll give you a pass on that.
Originally Posted by Flythefuture
LGA is still slot limited they are flying all slots available
Correct and they use the weekend for leisure flying to maximize revenue for their model. If it works why question them. FWIW the FLL-LGA flights still tend to be full
Originally Posted by ave1024
This has been mentioned time and time again. Monday morning starts a 5 month north runway refurbishment. Airlines we’re asked to voluntarily reduce their schedules as the airport will be operating with the south runway only. This is the reason for the reduction.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, National Executive, Alaksa MVP
Originally Posted by jco613

There are no slots at HPN but there is an hourly passenger cap. Also there’s no airtrain at HPN but I’ll give you a pass on that.

Correct and they use the weekend for leisure flying to maximize revenue for their model. If it works why question them. FWIW the FLL-LGA flights still tend to be full

This has been mentioned time and time again. Monday morning starts a 5 month north runway refurbishment. Airlines we’re asked to voluntarily reduce their schedules as the airport will be operating with the south runway only. This is the reason for the reduction.

fair fair.. meant when WN gobbled up Airtran...
Old May 30, 2019, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by rpk113
fair fair.. meant when WN gobbled up Airtran...
WN left HPN because they couldn't make any route work (or get around the passenger cap) with their 737's. AirTran used the 717 and it worked great, so much so that Delta now operates a couple ATL flights with the 717.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:58 pm

WN never tried HPN.. but yes at the time 737's were too big. B6 wasn't using the A320's yet at the airport. They were using the smaller planes. But now B6 is using the A320 on almost every HPN-Florida flight (and they're full). Just wondering if that market is ripe for some competition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.