Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Book 1 roundtrip or 2 one ways

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:53 pm

I'd also add that if your schedule changes where you want to add or subtract a day on either end but have the other flight booked for much cheaper, you only have to pay the increased difference in points or money on one leg instead of 2. That can be a valuable savings of money or points.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by vike16
I'd also add that if your schedule changes where you want to add or subtract a day on either end but have the other flight booked for much cheaper, you only have to pay the increased difference in points or money on one leg instead of 2. That can be a valuable savings of money or points.

Just in case it's not clear yet (it's been mentioned multiple times in this thread) you can easily change one half of a round trip now without affecting the other flight. That system limitation is no longer in place.
Air Houston and floridascgirl like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by glg
Additionally, though it's a bit more work, book each person individually if you have more than one. Then you can refare individually if only one ticket opens up at the lower fare.
While this is true, it is a pain come check in time. Having three different devices open for three different confirmation numbers at T-24 is not ideal. Obviously doesn't apply if you do EBCI.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
If I remember correctly, in the past a roundtrip booking only shows one amount for the total points used for the whole booking. Does a roundtrip points booking confirmation now show the points used for each flight or still just the total? I have only been booking one ways for awhile as it's easy to track the flight price changes when they are booked separately. I'll usually throw the info from the confirmation emails into a spreadsheet and work off that to check for price changes periodically.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
As described in that old post, when refaring down you must have sufficient availability in the lower bucket for it to work. 1 is easier to get than, say, 4.

And when you refare the max, wait awhile and more may appear.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 7:21 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, Hyatt Gold Passport
The scenario I see where booking two one ways is beneficial is when you’re flying to/from somewhere with more than one nearby airport. It makes it much easier to take advantage of a deal at a different airport on a segment without having to call in.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Funny how some say they have to keep track of booking number/code.

It is rare I ever even look at the booking code/record locater/etc.

I pull up my account and pick my trip - and I often have a half dozen sitting there.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Funny how some say they have to keep track of booking number/code.

It is rare I ever even look at the booking code/record locater/etc.

I pull up my account and pick my trip - and I often have a half dozen sitting there.
Agree...so much angst over legacy issues that are no longer a factor.
NoStressHere likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.