Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

03/27 Flight 5700, HNL - OAK, 6 hour delay leading to cancellation - IRROPS procedure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

03/27 Flight 5700, HNL - OAK, 6 hour delay leading to cancellation - IRROPS procedure

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Ditka
You can only improve if you recognize there’s a problem.
Real solutions are expensive, cut in to profits. WN's typical solution to service failures has been to advertise a sale, offer a few teaser fares to select markets, most passengers who were previously burned come running back for a "deal" - often end up overpaying. Until the public wises up, only changes will be those imposed by the FAA.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by diver858
Real solutions are expensive, cut in to profits. WN's typical solution to service failures has been to advertise a sale, offer a few teaser fares to select markets, most passengers who were previously burned come running back for a "deal" - often end up overpaying. Until the public wises up, only changes will be those imposed by the FAA.
Right. All of us who fly this airline are stupid.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99

It may be helpful to know that the poster to whom you’re referring long ago said he would never participate here again due to his disdain for WN, yet he persists. Not much credibility IMO. Best to avoid.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:15 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Isn't this a good example of you get what you pay for? You are paying less, in some case BOGO (using companion pass). This is why people always warn others about flying Spirit. Their ability to recover from IROPS is slow/non-existent. Personally, if the price was right, I would take the risk. Obviously there will be growing pains with this endeavor. Southwest may be a "big" airline but they are still quite small in terms of resources. I am sure things will improve the longer they continue to serve Hawaii.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:45 pm

Wow - not quite sure where that conclusion came from.
1. Airlines know that a majority of the flying public is focused primarily on price, will whine about poor service, inconvenience and discomfort, have a very short memory when offered a "deal".
2. WN continues to be successful convincing a significant portion of the flying public it is still the low price carrier.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:01 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
2. WN continues to be successful convincing a significant portion of the flying public it is still the low price carrier.
True, WN often costs more.
With the Hawaii intro sale and/or using Companion Pass, WN is much cheaper.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Due to the logistics of HNL, Southwest should have agreements with all the airlines to accommodate passengers in these situations. Did that have a plan when these cancellations happen.
What sort of possible motivation would the other carriers have to accommodate IRROPS WN PAX as WN comes in and just causes havoc with their Hawaii market??

I'm sure AS, UA and others are popping corks or high five-ing each other as they watch them struggle and happily let WN twist in the wind.
diver858 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:53 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Wingrider
What sort of possible motivation would the other carriers have to accommodate IRROPS WN PAX as WN comes in and just causes havoc with their Hawaii market??

I'm sure AS, UA and others are popping corks or high five-ing each other as they watch them struggle and happily let WN twist in the wind.
Exactly. Make it as tough as possible for your adversary as a lesson to anyone else who might consider picking a fight. Cf. the EU negotiating Brexit with an eye to deterring other nations from copying Britain.

This is simply how the world works.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I don't believe U.S. carriers have any long-standing route-specific (or route exempt) interline agreements. Southwest just doesn't have interline agreements with anybody. American, Delta, United, Alaska and Hawaiian all have interline agreements with each other and can (emphasis can, as with a mechanical, not shall) reroute on another carrier. Who are the other U.S. carriers that lack interline?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Wingrider

Why are interline agreements even needed? There should be someone at the airport at all times with a corporate credit card and the authority to buy passengers tickets on other airlines in the event of IRROPS.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Wow - not quite sure where that conclusion came from.
1. Airlines know that a majority of the flying public is focused primarily on price, will whine about poor service, inconvenience and discomfort, have a very short memory when offered a "deal".
Got it. You don’t think those of us who read FT are stupid. Thank you for that.

You think that ‘a significant portion of the flying public’ is stupid.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:42 am

You disagree?

Seems like a fair statement to me.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Stupid or not - what I can say is you get what you pay for. The problem of WN in IRROPS isn't something new.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:05 am

Got it. You don’t think those of us who read FT are stupid. Thank you for that.

I do not understand the repeated attempts to associate the word stupid with my comments.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by t325
Why are interline agreements even needed? There should be someone at the airport at all times with a corporate credit card and the authority to buy passengers tickets on other airlines in the event of IRROPS.
That's the hard way. You're always paying last-minute fares. There's no mechanism to move checked luggage from WN to carrier XX. There's something like 270+ carriers worldwide that have IATA-compliant interline agreements. Like getting ETOPS, Southwest could do this if they wanted to.
ursine1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.