Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

03/27 Flight 5700, HNL - OAK, 6 hour delay leading to cancellation - IRROPS procedure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

03/27 Flight 5700, HNL - OAK, 6 hour delay leading to cancellation - IRROPS procedure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Oh, the horrors of being without wifi. What did people do for 90 years of passenger aviation before wifi?
yep exactly what I was thinking
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
Shame on Southwest for this scenario! Surely, it was bound to happen at some point and they clearly had no plan. When flights are delayed this long, you have plenty of time to devise a plan and you either pay agents overtime or call new agents in to handle the situation. I understand the lack of spare aircraft, but the lack of planning for a cancellation seems ridiculous.
Between sending out $100 vouchers with an email apology and an "all-hands-on-deck" response plan, which is cheaper?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Oh, the horrors of being without wifi. What did people do for 90 years of passenger aviation before wifi?
I mean, how do people fly Alaska, United, American, Delta, Westjet, Air Canada etc across the pacific without wifi?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by formeraa
Shame on Southwest for this scenario! Surely, it was bound to happen at some point and they clearly had no plan. When flights are delayed this long, you have plenty of time to devise a plan and you either pay agents overtime or call new agents in to handle the situation. I understand the lack of spare aircraft, but the lack of planning for a cancellation seems ridiculous.
When you are on an island in the middle of the Pacific, who are you going to call? It isn't as though WN can dredge up help from elsewhere. On top of that, IRROPS handling can also be handled by phone as many carriers do. But, that doesn't remotely touch the real problem, e.g. lack of spare aircraft and crews.

This was thought through very well and WN had to know that it was a problem. It's just a risk it took and it has hit early on.

I suspect that people traveling on a leisure carrier to a leisure destination who arrive back from vacation a couple of days late, whether they received hotel vouchers or not, won't take this risk again. None of us know how the fares will shake out in the time to come, but it is safe to say that one of the things you purchase with a legacy carrier is redundancy.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
Passengers on 6569 received this letter and a separate $100 voucher right when we landed in OAK:
To be clear, $100 voucher received in OAK is in addition to the separate LUV voucher? Can you report back how much is the LUV voucher?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by tusphotog
I mean, how do people fly Alaska, United, American, Delta, Westjet, Air Canada etc across the pacific without wifi?
Earlier this month I flew SFO-HNL-SFO on AS. Great service, and even got an upgrade to F there and Premium Y back. This said the wifi boinked out about 200 miles outside San Francisco.

WN intends to dominate the Hawaiian market, and will eventually have enough planes there so that IRROPs are not an issue. I'd be surprised if we did not see orders of magnitude more WN flights to the islands five years from now...
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would wait five years before booking in that case. Until WN ramps up its service to a minimum acceptable level, it will be a no go for many.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by Troopers
To be clear, $100 voucher received in OAK is in addition to the separate LUV voucher? Can you report back how much is the LUV voucher?
The LUV voucher was for $100. That is all I got. I did not receive anything in OAK, but was also told to run to my connecting gate rather than speak with CS there.

KissFlyGoodbye will have to clarify whether the tarmac rule was violated as (s)he was on the flight that ultimately canceled. We spent ~45 minutes in total on the plane before we pushed.
ursine1 likes this.

Last edited by Mrp Alert; Mar 28, 2019 at 4:05 pm
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
Waiting now to board onto our Flight 8924. Today's flight from HNL to OAK consist of a 9:10, 12:55 and an 1:15. I suspect they added the 1:15 to accommodate the cancellation.

We returned to the gate within 3 hours (11ish is when we got back to gate), but sat at the gate till 3:20pm. Passengers were allowed to deplane, but not allowed to go back on. I stayed onto the plane the whole time.

The mechanics wanted to fix the guidance system. Management needed the plane to be at Oakland, but by 3:10 pm the pilot deemed it unsafe to proceed.

Issues

There was no way to rebook through a phone agent because we checked in a bag. The instructions given by the gate agent when we were on the cancelled flight instructed us to call, but with waiting to speak with someone in 30 mins, it was utterly useless. We had to wait for the few gate agents helping to rebook.

There clearly was no management for IRROPs here. No way to be able to effectively deplane if such an issue occurred (they had to check each individual ID and party in order to deplane). The instructions for the hotel voucher, accommodations, etc were not clear and literally printed on a white sheet of paper with a few sentences.

Whatever the MX issue was, the fact that the pilot had to call it unsafe to fly after 6 hours of a delay is incredible. Within the first two hours, the guidance or part issue was apparent. Nothing changed between 11am to 3pm for them to try and fix it. I can only assume upper management was trying hard to get that plane to OAK no matter what. 2 flight crews timing our and a cancellation, this was managed so poorly.

For $200 of a voucher for all of this and a waste of two days, it's almost not worth it (the $200 does not even cover a flight HNL - OAK.

It is apparent the WN did not have a concrete plan on executing IRROPs here in HNL. Good thing we were not connecting. For a majority of pax, a bit had connections and are in worse situations than us.

Rebooking

A lot of individuals connecting decided to purchase new tickets out of pocket on DL and UA that were departing the same day. I do not know what type of agreement they had with WN, but they were discussing how much they spent out of pocket for last minute tickets to get to LAX, DEN, PHX.

We were rebooked for next day at 1:15pm departure as we are terminating in OAK. We had to overnight regardless.

Accommodations, Food, Transport for the night

On a plain white sheet paper, there were three lines printed instructions of where we are staying, transport to and from airport, and that a voucher would be available for food at the hotel. Hotel was the Ala Moana. Voucher was for $14 per person, but if you have been in Honolulu especially at Ala Moana, $14 will buy you a children's dinner or a small salad. It was definitely not enough to eat on, especially the fact we were given only 2 servings of water while waiting from 9:10 AM till 3ish to be cancelled.

Travel voucher

There was a LUV voucher within hours of the cancellation for $200. There was an email with an executive number to call them. I did call them at the gate to get more information and whether that $200 can be increased due to the poor management of the whole situation. Agent did not budge.
Tanic, wrp96 and ursine1 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Due to the logistics of HNL, Southwest should have agreements with all the airlines to accommodate passengers in these situations. Did that have a plan when these cancellations happen.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Due to the logistics of HNL, Southwest should have agreements with all the airlines to accommodate passengers in these situations
But that would cost money man...
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:06 pm

The mechanics wanted to fix the guidance system. Management needed the plane to be at Oakland, but by 3:10 pm the pilot deemed it unsafe to proceed.
I wonder how the passenger found this out?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Based on current WN operations at HNL, WN basically leaves no room for errors, which is so unlike from others, having tolerance for IRROPS.

While I am sympathetic to those encounter these IRROPS with WN, still I hate to say this - WN is not an airline you should choose flying to Hawaii, at least this moment.

Originally Posted by tusphotog
UA - I sleep for most of the flight time. And then I still got a ETC for no WiFi.

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
WN intends to dominate the Hawaiian market, and will eventually have enough planes there so that IRROPs are not an issue.
Not going to happen when even HA does not dominate the market.
ursine1 and princeville like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Due to the logistics of HNL, Southwest should have agreements with all the airlines to accommodate passengers in these situations. Did that have a plan when these cancellations happen.
I don't think WN has the option to interline with other carriers only for HNL flights. Also, other carriers are unlikely to have sufficiently many open seats on HNL flights in high season to be able to help a carrier that isn't a partner.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't think WN has the option to interline with other carriers only for HNL flights.
Of course they do. It just costs money they don’t want to spend.
joshua362 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.