Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

03/27 Flight 5700, HNL - OAK, 6 hour delay leading to cancellation - IRROPS procedure

03/27 Flight 5700, HNL - OAK, 6 hour delay leading to cancellation - IRROPS procedure

Reply

Old Mar 29, 19, 5:29 pm
  #46  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 3,454
Originally Posted by KissFlyGoodbye View Post
Because the pilot and FAs were very transparent was happening. At 2:45 he said, "by the top of the hour, we are going to have a decision whether we fly or not." At 3ish the pilot said he made the executive decision not to fly the plane as it was unsafe.
I highly doubt it was the Captain's judgment call. Either the plane meets MEL (minimum equipment list) or it doesn't. ETOPS is obviously much less forgiving (oceanic radio and possibly satelllite phone comm equipment).

Captain may have put a 3pm deadline on getting an answer due to crew timing, and expected taxi/ATC time.

I assume this little mishap cost them nearly six figures. $25k in hotel bills, $5k in meals, $4k in transit. Figure $20k ferry an empty ETOPS plane and crew from OAK and $20k to limp the repaired aircraft back to the mainland.

Completly unacceptable to strand people one night in HNL then the second night in OAK. They should have paged those on the delayed Thursday makeup flight who would misconnect, pulled them off the flight, and booked them on other airlines.

Southwest doesn't interline but agents can buy tickets on other airlines with corporate credit cards when needed.
expert7700 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 19, 11:52 pm
  #47  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CLE
Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Posts: 3,468
Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
I highly doubt it was the Captain's judgment call. Either the plane meets MEL (minimum equipment list) or it doesn't. ETOPS is obviously much less forgiving (oceanic radio and possibly satelllite phone comm equipment).

Captain may have put a 3pm deadline on getting an answer due to crew timing, and expected taxi/ATC time.

I assume this little mishap cost them nearly six figures. $25k in hotel bills, $5k in meals, $4k in transit. Figure $20k ferry an empty ETOPS plane and crew from OAK and $20k to limp the repaired aircraft back to the mainland.

Completly unacceptable to strand people one night in HNL then the second night in OAK. They should have paged those on the delayed Thursday makeup flight who would misconnect, pulled them off the flight, and booked them on other airlines.

Southwest doesn't interline but agents can buy tickets on other airlines with corporate credit cards when needed.
Due to the logistics of Hawaii they should have established interline agreements with other airlines to help in these situations. They sure knew this could be a issue.
buckeyefanflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 19, 7:57 am
  #48  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 249
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer View Post


Due to the logistics of Hawaii they should have established interline agreements with other airlines to help in these situations. They sure knew this could be a issue.
To the first post, the captain absolutely does have the call to make.

To the later and other comments, this is just the beginning of service. Unfortunate it happened, but all airlines do have days like this (didn't Alaska recently strand people for 24+ hours in Buffalo or something? Even in the CONUS). Once full blown service, interisland, etc. starts there will be more planes and crews in Hawaii. At least WN did send an extra plane over and bring everyone back the next morning.
737MAX8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 19, 8:29 am
  #49  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Blue Ridge, GA
Posts: 4,228
Originally Posted by 737MAX8 View Post
Unfortunate it happened, but all airlines do have days like this (didn't Alaska recently strand people for 24+ hours in Buffalo or something? Even in the CONUS).
That was a diversion to Buffalo and AS sent out $1,000 vouchers. Hard to have a ground game landing at an airport you don't serve. You prove your corporate spine in a nasty situation.
LegalTender is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 19, 10:56 am
  #50  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,443
WN 808 Oak-hnl delayed for 90 minutes and counting due to mechanical...
iceman77_7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 19, 10:06 am
  #51  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 249
It's irrelevant. Based on everyone's posts about having a plan, should they not have a plan for that situation too? They couldn't send another airplane sooner? I don't get why folks continue to frequent here if they are so anti WN. Every airline faces the same challenges and folks work their butts off 24/7 to keep planes and pax moving.
737MAX8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 19, 10:15 am
  #52  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Blue Ridge, GA
Posts: 4,228
Originally Posted by 737MAX8 View Post
It's irrelevant. Based on everyone's posts about having a plan, should they not have a plan for that situation too? They couldn't send another airplane sooner? I don't get why folks continue to frequent here if they are so anti WN. Every airline faces the same challenges and folks work their butts off 24/7 to keep planes and pax moving.
It's not "irrelevant." They landed at 10p. AS replacement plane departed 3:45a. They weren't "stranded 24+ hours" in BUF.
LegalTender is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 19, 10:36 am
  #53  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 249
Originally Posted by LegalTender View Post
It's not "irrelevant." They landed at 10p. AS replacement plane departed 3:45a. They weren't "stranded 24+ hours" in BUF.
The overall issue was 30 hours or more. WN got an extra plane there and flight operated in the same time frame. It happens. But haters will always hate. Oh well. Plus I'd rather be in a hotel in Waikiki vs. in the BUF and BOS airports for extended periods of time

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...re/2526179002/
737MAX8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 19, 10:57 am
  #54  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Blue Ridge, GA
Posts: 4,228
Originally Posted by 737MAX8 View Post
The overall issue was 30 hours or more. WN got an extra plane there and flight operated in the same time frame. It happens. But haters will always hate. Oh well. Plus I'd rather be in a hotel in Waikiki vs. in the BUF and BOS airports for extended periods of time

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...re/2526179002/
Yo, thanks for the correction.

Alaska's failure doesn't redeem Southwest. WN operates out of HNL. Some were stranded one night in HNL then the second night in OAK. "At least WN did send an extra plane over" is a hoot.
LegalTender is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 19, 12:49 pm
  #55  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 41,236
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer View Post


Due to the logistics of Hawaii they should have established interline agreements with other airlines to help in these situations. They sure knew this could be a issue.
Interline agreements are a two-way street. I'm not sure why any other carrier serving HI-Mainland would want an interline agreement and why, if they did agree to one, it would cover only HI-Mainland. I'm not even sure that the restriction would work. Particularly because WN has its own proprietary ticketing and baggage systems, specifically designed for a system which does not interline.

Going the other way, the lack of premium cabins, seat assignments and meals would make interlining a passenger onto WN a last option. Interlining only works when both sides of the equation need it in a pinch. This is one of those situations where it is WN which needs to interline and other carriers which likely don't need it as much. A lousy economic deal for UA/DL/AA/AS/HA.

WN chose its business model and it is one which isn't geared to the rigors of the long-haul market requiring eTOPS aircraft and crew specially-certified for eTOPS ops..

While the option of WN purchasing tickets on other carriers exists, the prospect of paying top rate (walk-up fares are generally at the high end) for 100+ people is not enticing and not likely to happen.

The real solution is that anyone who finds value in WN for this route should hedge either with a solid travel insurance policy which will pick up the cost of new air tickets after some reasonable time period or by "self-insuring" and pulling out one's own CC.
diver858 likes this.

Last edited by Often1; Mar 31, 19 at 1:57 pm
Often1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 19, 9:34 pm
  #56  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Posts: 33,771
Wow, wow! What is happening?!? Your flight was delayed. Due to mechanical problem. They always got a problem all the time. You could stuck in Hawaii. There's no way to put you on another airlines.
N830MH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 19, 9:59 am
  #57  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: La Jolla, Ca
Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Posts: 2,900
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer View Post
In the most recent statistics, HA has
57
% market share at HNL would one could argue is domination. They're 53% at OGG, 57% at LIH, 49% at KOA...and 95% at ITO.
Can't find the stats, but it is my understanding that AS has the largest number of weekly flights between Hawaii and the mainland US - many more than HA.
diver858 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 19, 10:13 am
  #58  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: La Jolla, Ca
Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Posts: 2,900
from https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/s...november.html:
Southwest basically just launched a Hawaiian takeover.
LOL

Talk about a shill...
diver858 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 19, 5:21 pm
  #59  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: PDX
Programs: AS DL
Posts: 1,991
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Oh, the horrors of being without wifi. What did people do for 90 years of passenger aviation before wifi?
In the past, there used to be newspapers for First Class, with a few extras for economy as well as magazines in both classes. No more magazines.
Toshbaf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 19, 8:36 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Programs: SWA CP, UA MP, Hilton G, SPG G
Posts: 69
Originally Posted by 737MAX8 View Post
It's irrelevant. Based on everyone's posts about having a plan, should they not have a plan for that situation too? They couldn't send another airplane sooner? I don't get why folks continue to frequent here if they are so anti WN. Every airline faces the same challenges and folks work their butts off 24/7 to keep planes and pax moving.
sorry man, but thatís the wrong attitude to take with this issues.
every airline doesnít have the same issues because they have interline agreements at non hubs that prevent the type of meltdowns that SWA seems to have once per quarter. SWA does some things really well and they suck at other things. You can only improve if you recognize thereís a problem.
Ditka is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread