Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest 737 Max Makes Emergency Landing at MCO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest 737 Max Makes Emergency Landing at MCO

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by ursine1
The plane was a 737-MAX8, not a 737-800, correct?
The aircraft that ingested debris (?) and returned to Orlando was a 737-8, aka 737-MAX8 or 7M8.

Originally Posted by OPNLguy
With Boeing producing 50+ 737s per month, and the grounding possibly lasting until July or August (depending upon which media reports to believe), I think VCV (and MHV) will very likely be seeing more of them. After 9/11, (or was it the 2007/2008 mess?) SWA kept taking deliveries, and they went straight to MHV for awhile. Up in the PacNW, BFI, RNT, PAE, and MWH can only hold so many parked aircraft, in addition to the non-737s, so I expect the desert to see most of the the Max8s and Max9s..
I think that 50+ number includes a mix of current NGs and MAX7/8/9 aircraft. Renton was nearly full when I was there a few months ago. I know engine production issues from CFM was delaying completion of the aircraft a few months ago and they had partially completed airplanes stashed everywhere at RNT.

In any event, the completed MAX airplanes will likely find their way to the Southwestern part of the US or to Moses Lake (MWH) in eastern Washington. I'm surprised AA or UA haven't moved their airplanes to one location either.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:17 pm

The vast majority of "reporting" on this incident is of course abysmal -- journalism is nearly dead, and what passes for it these days is mostly clickbait.
Sorry..what? You hold off until there's a respectable body count? MAX8 has safety concerns. One takes off from a major American city and lands on one engine 11 minutes later. This is reportable. It was neither notable nor reckless. There was no "crippled 737 MAX suffers near catastrophe" perjury.

Is the EASA allowing the MAX to be re-positioned?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by OPNLguy
so I expect the desert to see most of the the Max8s and Max9s..
As of last Friday, there were a gaggle ( OK it was only 7) of Max 8's in the back 40 of MDW.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
The aircraft that ingested debris (?) and returned to Orlando was a 737-8, aka 737-MAX8 or 7M8.
Understood. I wasn't sure what OPNLguy meant by "it was an -800 MAX." (I assume now it was a typo.)

737-800 = B738 or 738
737-MAX8 = B38M or 7M8

I don't think ICAO or IATA use "737-8" for 737-MAX 8 aircraft.

Boeing has confusing names for it's planes.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by LegalTender
MAX8 has safety concerns.
It sure does. Almost all of the media oxygen is being consumed about the MCAS software fix. Hardly anyone in the media is asking: "Why was MCAS necessary on this airplane in the first place"? That rabbit hole might scare away too many pax.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:07 pm

Sorry..what? You hold off until there's a respectable body count? MAX8 has safety concerns. One takes off from a major American city and lands on one engine 11 minutes later. This is reportable. It was neither notable nor reckless. There was no "crippled 737 MAX suffers near catastrophe" perjury.

Is the EASA allowing the MAX to be re-positioned?
Oh please. You understand completely what I'm saying.

Responsible journalism (places like the Washington Post, the New York Times, Reuters) reported on this incident correctly, noting that it appeared to be different from the previous issues but that it was newsworthy because it was the same type of aircraft that had just been grounded.

​​​​​​​Everywhere else -- the places that, sadly, most people get their information these days (Facebook, random internet blogs) -- used salacious headlines that linked to articles scant of fact. Or with incorrect info. Even FlyerTalk (who really should know better) said it was a "test flight."

Incidents like this one happen all the time. Getting debris in the engine on takeoff is not aircraft-specific.

You should know by now my position on this topic. Boeing's mistakes killed people. They put money ahead of safety, and the regulators failed because the FAA is in the pocket of manufacturers and airlines. This incident has nothing to do with the MCAS system issues, and unless it can be shown that the plane failed engine inspections or some other connection to FAA oversight problems I see no reason to connect the two.

The EASA airworthiness directive does allow for limited non-commercial ferry flights, albeit with greater regulation than the FAA requires.
DenverBrian and tusphotog like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:28 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/25/business/boeing-simulation-error.html

In Test of Boeing Jet, Pilots Had 40 Seconds to Fix Error
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:41 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by Betterthanyou
Is there another kind of "correct"?
Yes...intentionally including or omitting key facts and phrased in such a way as to intentionally deceive, mislead, or otherwise insunate something that was not the whole story. It is not a lie, but it is also not entirely correct in its context for the purpose of evoking an emotion reaction vs conveying facts of a story. It is called spin.

...unless you just believe everything you read on the internet and in the media at face value.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PAX62
Yes...intentionally including or omitting key facts and phrased in such a way as to intentionally deceive, mislead, or otherwise insunate something that was not the whole story. It is not a lie, but it is also not entirely correct in its context for the purpose of evoking an emotion reaction vs conveying facts of a story. It is called spin.

...unless you just believe everything you read on the internet and in the media at face value.
Correct needn't be detailed, it only has to be accurate. That's why the headline is not the news, and you have to actually read the article.
LegalTender and DenverBrian like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Tanic
Hardly anyone in the media is asking: "Why was MCAS necessary on this airplane in the first place"? That rabbit hole might scare away too many pax.
Quite simply, it's because the engines are heavier, taller and mounted farther forward on the pylon than the 737-NGs. This article does a good job of talking about it.

I don't think ICAO or IATA use "737-8" for 737-MAX 8 aircraft.

Boeing has confusing names for it's planes.
They're running out of numbers!

Seriously though, the type certificate says 737-8. The 737-MAX 8 is a marketing name by Boeing, and 7M8 B38M is what ATC uses.
ursine1 likes this.

Last edited by tusphotog; Mar 28, 2019 at 3:50 pm Reason: Fixed a typo
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Did a bunch of posts get deleted?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
Did a bunch of posts get deleted?
Moved to the Peanut Gallery.

I understand that the conversation had strayed way off track, but it's going to be challenging dscussing the MAX situation (and the FAA) in a way that's politics-free.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:14 pm

Incidents like this one happen all the time. Getting debris in the engine on takeoff is not aircraft-specific.
The safety check on 12 other LEAP 1B engines was aircraft-specific. That it happens all the time isn't revealed. Issues with new technology may not show up until the engines have been used for several thousand hours in all kinds of climate conditions.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/southwe...on-11555116989

"Southwest spokeswoman Brandy King said results of the reviews were handed over to the manufacturer, CFM, and did not say whether the engines were found to be safe or unsafe."
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:58 pm

The safety check on 12 other LEAP 1B engines was aircraft-specific. That it happens all the time isn't revealed. Issues with new technology may not show up until the engines have been used for several thousand hours in all kinds of climate conditions.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/southwe...on-11555116989
Those are all true statements. Without knowing more about why, one suspects the engine inspections were directed in response to the increased attention MAX aircraft are receiving, perhaps as manufacturer due diligence.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:14 pm

Without knowing more about why, one suspects the engine inspections were directed in response to the increased attention MAX aircraft are receiving, perhaps as manufacturer due diligence.
Could be.

Or, as the article suggests, something else.

''The engine suffered internal damage after a component broke off in the high-pressure portion of the engine."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.