Standing by for nonstop?

Old Mar 22, 19, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SW A-list, Marriott, National
Standing by for nonstop?

Question about standby policy:

I have confirmed seats Den-Las and Las-Sna late in the day (anytime fare). Den-Sna earlier nonstop flight is sold out, but I ask at the gate to standby. Agent says if she adds me to the standby list, I will lose my confirmed connection through Las, because it's a connection. Is this right? Why?

I suppose I can still wait at the gate for an empty seat, but I would be at the bottom of the standby list in any case - so the odds aren't good.

In the end, it may not matter, but I'm giving up places in line because I cant get on the standby list sooner.
Old Mar 22, 19, 6:27 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
placing you on standby changes nothing unless you clear.
if you clear but never show up at podium for your new boarding pass you should still be on the original flight(s)

standby with a connection to a nonstop = very low risk

standby to a connecting flight = risky. unless they confirm you on and hand you the connecting boarding pass immediately.
Old Mar 22, 19, 10:02 pm

If the OP isn't A-List my guess would be that the gate agent told them that just to make them go away.
Old Mar 22, 19, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SW A-list, Marriott, National
Turns out I got on the flight. 3 agents assured me I couldn't be added to the standby list, but when I asked again after they called the first standby passenger, the agent said: I'm glad you came back, I'll put you next on the list. But it appeared they had to do some extra work, that it wasn't easy.

And I got on the flight.

And it turns out the den-las was over an hour late tonight, I would have misconnected. So I'm very happy I went back to ask.

No. Not A-list. But I paid a lot for that flight, getting an anytime fare so I could more easily change or standby.
Old Mar 23, 19, 12:44 am

It's odd that the gate agent(s) didn't know how to put a passenger with an Anytime fare on the standby list. Perhaps they knew/thought there were already "too many" displaced pax or A-Listers (both have priority) that would have kept you from getting on. Glad it worked out for you.

Note: If your connecting flight is showing a significant delay, even with WGA you should qualify for no-fee standby.
Old Mar 23, 19, 8:06 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by Chris737 View Post
No. Not A-list. But I paid a lot for that flight, getting an anytime fare so I could more easily change or standby.
So Standby is only available to A List...the only option for non status passengers is to pay difference in fare...but sounds like that was not clearly communicated.

You were accommodated because your original flight would have missed the connection. In that case SW will make avery effort to rebook passengers and not leave them stranded but had that flight been on time you would have been SOL except to rebook at whatever additional fare the flight you were trying to get on was.
Old Mar 23, 19, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by PAX62 View Post
So Standby is only available to A List...the only option for non status passengers is to pay difference in fare...but sounds like that was not clearly communicated.

You were accommodated because your original flight would have missed the connection. In that case SW will make avery effort to rebook passengers and not leave them stranded but had that flight been on time you would have been SOL except to rebook at whatever additional fare the flight you were trying to get on was.
My understanding is that anyone can fly standby with a full Anytime fare, though standby on WGA fares requires A list (or delay accommodation etc).
joshua362 and ursine1 like this.
Old Mar 24, 19, 1:12 am

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by mdword View Post
My understanding is that anyone can fly standby with a full Anytime fare, though standby on WGA fares requires A list (or delay accommodation etc).
Oops...you are correct. Anytime is eligible for Standby as well.
Old Mar 26, 19, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club
You can standby on a WGA fare but not for free. If you clear you'll pay the fare difference. You keep your original flights but the agent has to use the right button.

At least that's what I was told yesterday. I wasn't interested in paying $200+ so I didn't do it.
Old Mar 26, 19, 4:41 pm

WN standby:

-- Free, priority: Displaced pax, A-Listers (priority in that order)
-- Free: BS & AT fares, significantly delayed
-- Pay upgrade to current unrestricted fare: WGA (no delay)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: