Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Service to Kauai - On Hold?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:52 am
Original Poster

New Service to Kauai - On Hold?

I noticed that there is zero commentary from Southwest, or from even the (so called) outside experts, on when Kaui service will begin. Would you guess that the 800 MAX grounding has put this plan on hold (not because they planned to use this model to Kaui - they can't - but because they need large capacity planes on other routes while the MAX is grounded)? Has anyone seen anything more specific than "soon"? Mahalo.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
I have been scouring the internet for this info too. Nothing about LIH.

Last edited by ftnoob; Mar 21, 2019 at 10:52 pm Reason: Thread flow
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by pgh234
I have been scouring the internet for this info too. Nothing about LIH.
Loosing 5% of capacity is a pain, but something that can be managed. Probably easiest just not adding new flights to add to the strain.

I'd love to see how 737 lease rates changed after the Max grounding.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:43 pm

Why can't they use the MAX 8 to Kaui? I know they're grounded for now and as far as I know Southwest hasn't received ETOPS clearance on the MAXs but is the some other reason?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by rsteinmNSTB etz70112
Why can't they use the MAX 8 to Kaui? I know they're grounded for now and as far as I know Southwest hasn't received ETOPS clearance on the MAXs but is the some other reason?
Not yet. They still waiting from FAA. When they received ETOPS overwater certified for 737-MAX8. They still grounded. Right now, FAA, DOT, NTSB is still ongoing investigation. It will take a while.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA HA AS
My understanding is there is limited gate availability for them in Lihue
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by waddy
My understanding is there is limited gate availability for them in Lihue
Actually, they still have more gate space availability. There's no gate shortage.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Those are two really good, and wholly inflexible, reasons not to put Max 8s in the schedule to Hawaii for now.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Those are two really good, and wholly inflexible, reasons not to put Max 8s in the schedule to Hawaii for now.
As I read the post I was responding to the author indicated there was some other reason for the MAX 8 not being able to be used specifically for Kaui.
Perhaps I misread it but after re reading that post I still don't understand exactly what the poster meant.

800 MAX grounding has put this plan on hold (not because they planned to use this model to Kaui - they can't
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

They can't because.....

An ETOPS certification applies to specific planes (not airlines). In the case of Southwest, the 800 MAX is not the model/plane that received the certification. So the reference to "they can't" was intended to mean that they are not certified to fly that model to Hawaii now. Sorry for the confusion.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by bofc
An ETOPS certification applies to specific planes (not airlines). In the case of Southwest, the 800 MAX is not the model/plane that received the certification. So the reference to "they can't" was intended to mean that they are not certified to fly that model to Hawaii now. Sorry for the confusion.
737-800: WN ETOPS, not grounded

737-MAX8: Grounded, no WN ETOPS yet

There is no "800 MAX."
johnjagg likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by bofc
No. The airline has to have an ETOPS program in place that's approved by the FAA. That's independent of airplanes. It covers training, operations inside ETOPS airspace, maintenance, communications etc. The checkout flights aren't to validate whether the airplane can make it (it most certainly can, especially empty!), it's to verify the training and operations meet the FAA requirements.

Once the program is approved, adding additional aircraft to the ETOPS plan is far less intensive. It doesn't matter if it's a MAX8, MAX7, 73G, 787 or whatever.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:49 pm

My understanding:

Aircraft manufacturer's like Boeing get their plane type approved for ETOPS operation.

Carriers like Southwest get their operations ETOPS certified.

Then carriers get specific aircraft in their fleet ETOPS certified.

At the moment Southwest has a number of 737-800s ETOPS certified. They have not yet gotten certification for any of their 737-MAX8s.
tusphotog likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ursine1
737-800: WN ETOPS, not grounded

737-MAX8: Grounded, no WN ETOPS yet

There is no "800 MAX."
Right! The 737-MAX8 is still grounded, but they haven't received the ETOPS certified yet.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by N830MH
Right! The 737-MAX8 is still grounded, but they haven't received the ETOPS certified yet.
And it might be a long wait before it gets ETOPS. Perhaps unfair (as the 'issue' is likely unrelated to ETOPS requirements), but everything related t the MAX will become a political football.

The real question is, how much does the economics of not having the MAX effect the WN issue? The MAX is clearly the best plane for these routes. I could see WN pulling back some until they have clarity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.