No plane change 45 min layover

Old Mar 17, 19, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

No plane change 45 min layover

Hi all. I donít fly SWA very often, and I donít think Iíve ever done a flight like the one I just booked. It has a 45 minutes (on paper) layover in Denver, with no plane change.

How exactly does this work? Do you (can you) stay on the plane the whole time? If you get off, what boarding number do you use to get back on? If you stay, can you ďupgradeĒ to a better seat after the non-continuing passengers deplane?
Old Mar 17, 19, 9:25 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Yes you stay on the plane. I doubt with that short a stop they will let you off. You can change to any seat after the flight attendant does their count. Or you can move while people are exiting as long as you do not disrupt the flow.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 19, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold
I did it once last year in Kansas City. Yes, you stay on the plane. The flight attendants will do a headcount and collect trash. Yes, you can move to a better seat. I wasn't given a boarding pass for the second flight so I don't know how I would have gotten back on if I had gotten off.
Old Mar 17, 19, 11:32 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
If you are early or they are not going to board next flight for a bit, they will often let you deplane. Sometimes they will announce it, other times you can request it. Gate agents need to know you are deplaning...then before they even start pre-boarding, you just show your ID and they let you back on first.

With 45 min I have gotten off, grabbed a to go bite and hopped back on before boarding, but it is tight.

I have had flights where we were early and they threw us all off to do a crew change....same deal, you board before the pre boarders.

Either way, you have your choice of seats to move to. You just can't take an exit row if you were a pre-boarder on you first flight...but no one is really checking at the point!

Last edited by PAX62; Mar 17, 19 at 11:38 pm
Old Mar 18, 19, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Yes, you can improve your seat before others get on.

Be prepared that some FAs will tell you that you cannot. This is not correct. You may have to appeal to the head FA.

I have even had FAs tell me that premium seats are ďreservedĒ for BS passengers about to get on the plane.

Yeah, I know.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 19, 9:23 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Move seats after they get the count, or do it surreptitiously during deplaning. Just leave your stuff in the overheads and get it after the count.
Old Mar 18, 19, 9:44 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Be forewarned, though: Moving to one of the popular seats like bulkhead or exit row during a layover will result in yet another "A List / BS / EBCI is a scam!!) thread here on the forum because you've taken someone else's favorite seat.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 19, 1:39 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1 View Post
Be forewarned, though: Moving to one of the popular seats like bulkhead or exit row during a layover will result in yet another "A List / BS / EBCI is a scam!!) thread here on the forum because you've taken someone else's favorite seat.
They are more than welcome to fly the through flight.

(To be fair, this is a minor annoyance, especially if it's a very full thru flight).
Old Mar 19, 19, 7:53 am

I was on a LGA-HOU-DAL thru flight a few weeks ago and we were an hour early into HOU and it ended up being 2 hours on the ground. I had a full sitdown meal 🤣🤣

Search this Thread
Search Engine: