Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some new nonstops announced today

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Blitzjb
Buffalo is the 2nd largest city in NY. Much business is conducted there. many large firms have thousands of employees in the Buffalo area. Jet Blue and Delta fly numerous
flights a day from NYC to BUF.

ISP ≠ NYC. This discussion is just silly. WN just added flights to Hawaii. That's the only domestic market island(s) they are looking for growth through.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Actually... I find many of these discussions humorous.

They add flights based on a few factors - biggest one being - "CAN WE MAKE A PROFIT?" serving this city and how many flights? That is driven by passenger loads, price the market will bear and cost to establish or expand a market. Among those costs are what the airport will charge them for landing and facilities and of course utilization of employees.

Folks writing letters or begging must be among the low end of decision factors.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
ISP ≠ NYC. This discussion is just silly. WN just added flights to Hawaii. That's the only domestic market island(s) they are looking for growth through.
Exactly. ISP does not have anywhere near the demand of JFK, LGA, or EWR. Maybe folks should consider taking the existing non-stops from major airports to Buffalo, instead of complaining that SW won't make a non-stop that's likely to lose money on a regular basis.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
Everyone is an expert?
joshua362 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:08 pm

Everyone is an expert?

Let me know when they announce the BUF>ISP non-stop service.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:43 pm

Let me know when they announce the BUF>ISP non-stop service.
They just started Buffalo>Nashville N/S........You never know.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:18 pm

The NY Lottery uses the same motto. Chances are very low for both. A dollar and a dream is another good motto they use.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:07 am

Something else to consider is that by adding these flights to Nashville, WN just made flying to western destinations a little easier and provides more options flying south out of BUF. BNA serves about 20 markets non-stop that provide alternate routings, avoiding BWI and MDW, especially in the winter travel months.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Smile

But, a few years ago ISP + LIRR = NYC
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:59 am

ISP is solid hour+ from the other NYC airports. Relative to the OP's point of WN adding flights to ISP from BUF, I don't know many business execs who would want to add 2+ hours to their trip to save how much?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
ISP is solid hour+ from the other NYC airports. Relative to the OP's point of WN adding flights to ISP from BUF, I don't know many business execs who would want to add 2+ hours to their trip to save how much?
I think that too much dependence on college students would be a bad economic move. Look at the destinations from SW from ISP, it is a heavy leisure market, not business. I would love a ISP-SNN-European destination! That would be awesome!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:35 am

If you are really familiar with ISP, what you lose on travel time to ISP you gain with easy parking (walk to terminal) and next to no security TSA lines (I am usually through security in 5-10 mins).

Not saying business people in Manhattan will elect to use ISP. But I live about equal distance to both ISP and LGA and will use ISP every chance I can get.

I am annoyed though they took away nonstop ISP-FLL service and didn't restore it in the latest schedule extension. I wonder if/when they will restore this. Most of ISP's destinations are to Florida and I always thought ISP-FLL is a great route for them. I use FLL as a backup when I can't get a decent flight/time to PBI.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
1) neither ISP nor BUF are hubs for WN. Yes, I'm aware WN does not have hubs. Don't be pedantic.
2) How much time do you lose making a connection elsewhere flying ISP-BUF vs driving or riding the train an hour to the city?
2a) You sound like the people in Kansas City complaining they'd rather keep their ...... terminal and close parking vs having a new terminal with better flight options.
3) You can't seriously compare ISP with other NYC airports and their non-stops to BUF as I've previously noted.
4) WN isn't in the charity business. They are in this for PROFIT. College students traveling maybe once a week don't provide that, and are generally looking for flights at the absolute lowest cost. I guarantee you that most of these students are flying out of NYC airports at most once a week.
4a) I guarantee you that WN has evaluated the passenger trends of who is flying into/out of BUF and ISP and from where, and decided to not offer the service. They didn't just forget to check this out.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:16 pm

Another ridic comment. Many of the executives live on Long Island. Much easier than JFK
joshua362 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by aaronp84
You sound like the people in Kansas City complaining they'd rather keep their ...... terminal and close parking vs having a new terminal with better flight options.
How is that relevant? MCI gate-to-lot timing factor doesn't affect flight options. Replacing it was approved by more than 3-1 public vote. And airlines switched from supporting terminal renovation to backing a new facility 3 years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.