Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

MAX flights zero'ed out through end of schedule

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Have you received any proactive cancellation notices yet? How did WN contact you?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Have you received any proactive cancellation notices yet? How did WN contact you?
I have two flights in May that were on a Max 8, that are now zeroed out. TPA-ROC RT , direct flights. I guess I'm just going to wait and see for now, I know they have a flood of calls on more immediate flights to handle at the moment. But will keep an eye on this thread as well.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: DL GM, WN A+/CP, HH Diamond
I just had the banner pop up this morning. Are all flights getting this or only those booked on a max 8? Flying in two weeks
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: Southwest Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Buzzardgut
I just had the banner pop up this morning. Are all flights getting this or only those booked on a max 8? Flying in two weeks
I have a DAL-DCA-DAL day trip booked for next Wednesday March 20th and have seen no activity related to it. I fly it a lot and don't know that I have ever flown a MAX8 on the route so maybe that is why. I flew the route this week and had a -800 on the way back but that was the closest to a MAX8 as I get. I would think it would be focused on routes that are typically flown with that aircraft.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There will be all manner of speculation on FT.

Until WN rearranges aircraft assignments and adjusts its operations, particularly in light of its ongoing "operational emergency," there is no way to tell whether flights will be cancelled, timing adjusted, or otherwise moved around. One might be on a flight scheduled to be performed by a MAX, which still goes out and is performed by another aircraft, while one might be on a non-MAX flight which is cancelled or rescheduled in order to repurpose that aircraft to a MAX flight. All speculation until the schedule changes.
Cledaybuck and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
I received a text around midnight of a cancellation of my flight tomorrow night that was scheduled on a MAX.
Fortunately, I had already made alternative arrangements
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:03 am

I have two MAX flights at the end of April. They are zeroed out on the schedule. I hope a waiver or alternate booking can be arranged sooner rather than later. This trip is time sensitive so I'll be hoping to keep my original itinerary or something close to it.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by maybebehindyou
I have two MAX flights at the end of April. They are zeroed out on the schedule. I hope a waiver or alternate booking can be arranged sooner rather than later. This trip is time sensitive so I'll be hoping to keep my original itinerary or something close to it.
Same. And in my case, they were the only non-stop TPA-ROC flights. So I'm waiting it out for now to see if they they reschedule with another aircraft before changing to a route with one stop.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:44 am

I have a BWI-LAS flight on 3/20 (#2127) which is running today but cancelled tomorrow. It appeared that flight is on both an 800 and a max flight. No idea if mine on 3/20 is still running - its zeroed out on schedule and haven't heard anything from SW yet. I'm sure ill find out the night before as is custom with SW.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:48 pm

I have a PHX-DTW nonstop on 4/14 scheduled for a MAX8 that still appears the same as it did 3 days ago. No changes to the reservation or the availability of the flight to book again.

Upon second look, yeah, it's marked as sold out. Same with a couple other flight i have coming up.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
In reality folks...

Some MAX8 flights will still fly as normal, with a different aircraft.

Some NON-MAX flights will be cancelled so they can use the aircraft for flights cancelled because of MAX issue.

If you think you can figure it out, I am sure there are people in WN operations that can use your help.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
In reality folks...

Some MAX8 flights will still fly as normal, with a different aircraft.

Some NON-MAX flights will be cancelled so they can use the aircraft for flights cancelled because of MAX issue.

If you think you can figure it out, I am sure there are people in WN operations that can use your help.
This is exactly why I may not retain A+. I cannot take an increased chance of cancellations and have booked all my travel this week and going forward,which would have gone to WN, on another carrier.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
If Southwest is short aircraft due to the Max grounding they need to consider adding red eye flights to add capacity. Late night west bound flights to for aircraft positioning for red eyes. Southwest is I believe the only airline that has no red eye schedules.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
They have a whole bunch of perfectly good 737-300s stored that went out before their time when the MAX8 came in. It would be good to get some of those back from storage assuming that they still have pilots certified to fly them. Their capacity is the same as that of the -700, not the -800, but it is better than having to cancel flights.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by PHXflier
They have a whole bunch of perfectly good 737-300s stored that went out before their time when the MAX8 came in. It would be good to get some of those back from storage assuming that they still have pilots certified to fly them. Their capacity is the same as that of the -700, not the -800, but it is better than having to cancel flights.
No pilots are current on the 300s. They've been out of the fleet for 16 months or something.

Aside from none of them being stored for reactivation, unless they were being sold/leased to someone else, they'd need to comply with the FAA ADs on the nitrogen inerting system in the fuel tanks (not cheap!) and whatever additional ADs are required.

In reality, this is not that big of a deal down the line. There are ~30 Max 8s a fleet of 750 airplanes. Might be some short term issues while they work through the holes, but if this grounding lasts through October, they'll be able to backfill the Max 8s easily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.