Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trump grounds Max8/9

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by OPNLguy
SWA could, conceivably, arrange short-term leases for some of the youngest -300s that are sitting in the desert I don't know how long it takes to reactivate an aircraft, and they'd at least have to get FAA's blessing to run the temporary -300 with segregated crews, since that was an issue that led to the Classics' retirement to begin with.
Do they still need to be segregate since (obviously) the max is not operating? I thought the issue was they couldn't operate all three at the same time?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by ALARISstl
There were about a dozen SWA Max8s airborne when the announcement was made according to Flightradar24. Would imagine those folks watching CNN onboard had a uncomfortable feeling to say the least.
24 hour news channels profit from trying to make the world seem like a scary place.
joshua362, lokijuh, stef and 7 others like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by pgh234
24 hour news channels profit from trying to make the world seem like a scary place.
Be afwaid. Be wery,wery afwaid.
Lehava, pgh234 and dlaue like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by ALARISstl
There were about a dozen SWA Max8s airborne when the announcement was made according to Flightradar24. Would imagine those folks watching CNN onboard had a uncomfortable feeling to say the least.

Or worse, they could have been watching Fox News.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA
Can Trump unilaterally do that?
I know it was technically the FAA that did it, but is the FAA not at all independent?

I'm just curious, I'm not making a judgment call either way.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:35 pm

So what does Norwegian do? They have quite a few of these and unlike Southwest, dont have hundreds of other planes to fill the gap with. Fair amount of their transatlantic flights use these and they were already struggling financially
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
If the whole world (bar the US) has banned the aircraft already (Thanks to China for starting it! Otherwise we might see this dangerous aircraft still in the air!) then it's really a no brainer, Trump or not..
Still, being the last country to ground them is not really a good look. Though, I wonder if would the US grounding have happened when it did if those pilot complaints hadn't come out.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by argolfer
I was being a smart ***. Yeah, it was recent.
whew
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by ryw
I'm curious from an operations standpoint, what happens in a groundstop if the plane is currently in the air and lands at an outstation somewhere? Does it just stay there? Or is WN allowed to ferry it without passengers to more of a maintenance base, or airport with more parking stands, etc?
It finishes it's flight and stays where it landed.
Southwest will probably be able to ferry them with no passengers in a day of so.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Good move although I think it should have been done sooner. IMO WN made a big mistake with how they initially responded after the Ethiopian crash. Between the ongoing drama with their mechanics and the fact that WN had the fatal accident not too long ago I think they have been burning through a lot of the goodwill that the general public has had for them.
screeton, IndyHoosier and Rd3 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by alggag
Between the ongoing drama with their mechanics and the fact that WN had the fatal accident not too long ago I think they have been burning through a lot of the goodwill that the general public has had for them.
This is hardly an inflection point. Personality over protocol remains a deep-rooted fascination.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by wiivile
Can Trump unilaterally do that?
I know it was technically the FAA that did it, but is the FAA not at all independent?

I'm just curious, I'm not making a judgment call either way.
The way it works is that all agencies in the administration have a political appointee at the top. They will do what the President tells them.

There are some independent and quasi independent agencies (like the FED) but the FAA is not such.
screeton likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by ursine1
Or worse, they could have been watching Fox News.
That's what Trump was doing, I'm certain.
screeton and kimberlyrose like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Troopers

i don’t know but who wants to be the ding-dong to challenge Trump’s grounding of The planes?
The person who actually cares about over-reach by the executive branch. "Justified" and "Legal" are not always the same thing.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Do they still need to be segregate since (obviously) the max is not operating? I thought the issue was they couldn't operate all three at the same time?
Technically, maybe not, but I suspect they'd still need to get the FAA's blessing for the related training program, since nobody's likely current on the -300 any more. They could probably keep the training costs in-check by only re-qualifying a number commensurate with the the number of re-activated aircraft.

Again, this is all speculation. I have no knowledge that the -300s will return...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.