Wiki Posts
Search

Trump grounds Max8/9

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Trump grounds Max8/9

Max 8/9 grounded, per POTUS.

What will this do to WN in the short-term?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/so...ets-2019-03-13

Last edited by argolfer; Mar 13, 2019 at 1:02 pm Reason: Link added.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:51 pm
jmw

I wonder how the mechanics will maximize the hurt on Southwest with all those planes out of action.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by jmw
I wonder how the mechanics will maximize the hurt on Southwest with all those planes out of action.
Mechanics and SWA had two days of negotiations set for today and tomorrow. Forward movement - or even a tentative agreement - strikes me as more, not less likely.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by jmw
Might make it more likely that management settles with them, management now having much bigger problems on their plates..
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Not sure he has the legal authority to do that.
nancypants and Betterthanyou like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
Did we delay this grounding so the POTUS could grandstand, or did he understand that the grounding was coming and just decide to take credit? Did Elaine Chao have a rough flight in the MAX from Austin to DC yesterday? Or, more probable, did she get an earful from other passengers who were similarly dissatisfied that the FAA had not taken a more aggressive and safety oriented stance.
bbbb, jjmadison, flyer4512 and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by dlaue
i don’t know but who wants to be the ding-dong to challenge Trump’s grounding of The planes?
jlemon and theboss7593 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:08 pm

If the whole world (bar the US) has banned the aircraft already (Thanks to China for starting it! Otherwise we might see this dangerous aircraft still in the air!) then it's really a no brainer, Trump or not..
joshua362 and screeton like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:12 pm

Atcscc advzy 063 dcc 03/13/2019 ground stop all b38m/b39m type acftmessage:
Destination airport: All
facilities included: All
ground stop period: 131900-ufa
remarks: Ground stop is for all b38m and b39m type acft

***airborne acft are allowed to continue to destination airport*** effective time:
131905 - 141900signature:
19/03/13 19:05
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
The FAA does, and the FAA works for the president.

I'm not a fan of the grounding, but in light of pretty much everyone else grounding it there isn't much choice for now.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
If the whole world (bar the US) has banned the aircraft already (Thanks to China for starting it! Otherwise we might see this dangerous aircraft still in the air!) then it's really a no brainer, Trump or not..
Yep. And he clearly has the legal authority.

I'm guessing the call went out today based on the same satellite data that forced the Canadians to change their direction on this.

Boeing will now be forced to put all hands on deck and get this fixed. The lawsuits are going to be insane. And lots of orders will be cancelled. But I'm old enough to remember when they grounded the 787. Boeing made it through that, too.

The question I have is, how does WN recover in the short-term? What is their capacity to absorb and what can they do in terms of pulling in other planes? It seems like they were already in a tough spot.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by argolfer

The question I have is, how does WN recover in the short-term? What is their capacity to absorb and what can they do in terms of pulling in other planes? It seems like they were already in a tough spot.
SWA could, conceivably, arrange short-term leases for some of the youngest -300s that are sitting in the desert I don't know how long it takes to reactivate an aircraft, and they'd at least have to get FAA's blessing to run the temporary -300 with segregated crews, since that was an issue that led to the Classics' retirement to begin with.
argolfer likes this.
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I'm curious from an operations standpoint, what happens in a groundstop if the plane is currently in the air and lands at an outstation somewhere? Does it just stay there? Or is WN allowed to ferry it without passengers to more of a maintenance base, or airport with more parking stands, etc?

Last edited by ryw; Mar 13, 2019 at 1:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by argolfer
. But I'm old enough to remember when they grounded the 787. Boeing made it through that, too..
Wasn't that only 9 or 10 years ago????? or am I getting old???
CO-PLAT and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
And what happens to Hawaii now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.