Trump grounds Max8/9

Old Mar 13, 19, 1:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, US Gold
Originally Posted by ryw View Post
I'm curious from an operations standpoint, what happens in a groundstop if the plane is currently in the air and lands at an outstation somewhere? Does it just stay there? Or is WN allowed to ferry it without passengers to more of a base, or airport with more parking stands, etc?
I can't answer directly, but I have read other threads where wide bodies that have mechanical issues in faraway places can be certified for flights to maint locations-crew only. That has to be OK here too. If its a mechanical fix ultimately, they need to get to a maint location.
ryw likes this.
Old Mar 13, 19, 1:35 pm

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
Hopefully SWA was already making contingency plans.... it has seemed probable for at least 36 hours or more, the odds have been on the side of the planes eventually getting grounded. This is not peak travel season, so perhaps there is some inventory flexibility on other flights to pick up some of the displaced passengers. The others? an extra 5000 rapid reward points and a free ticket on Amtrak.
Old Mar 13, 19, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker View Post
Wasn't that only 9 or 10 years ago????? or am I getting old???
I was being a smart ***. Yeah, it was recent.
Old Mar 13, 19, 1:42 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by mile ho View Post
And what happens to Hawaii now?
You didn't hear? He's going to "make a great deal" and give it to China
Old Mar 13, 19, 1:47 pm

Probably nothing. They'll likely run the flights as scheduled and probs with some priority. None of the MAXes were ETOPS certified yet so they were just using -800s.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 13, 19, 1:48 pm
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Plat
For the immediate future, WN was planning to fly Hawaii routes on 737-800s anyways (I believe they were still waiting ETOPS certification for the MAX8), so existing scheduled flights should be fine. Shouldn't be any changes there

If the MAX8 problems take a long time to resolve, I suppose it's possible that the expansion for Hawaii routes from other mainland locations on WN might have a slower rollout.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 19, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by ryw View Post
I'm curious from an operations standpoint, what happens in a groundstop if the plane is currently in the air and lands at an outstation somewhere? Does it just stay there? Or is WN allowed to ferry it without passengers to more of a maintenance base, or airport with more parking stands, etc?
They'll probably move it to a MX base under a ferry permit, no pax...
ryw likes this.
Old Mar 13, 19, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Here's the official order: https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=93206
Old Mar 13, 19, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG S/KIC, NCR EC
I'm curious to see if any 737-800 lines get cancelled to put those planes on Max 8 routes instead. May as well cancel the lines with lower revenue and the higher flexibility of rerouting passengers. I'd think that shuttle routes like DAL-HOU might temporarily lose a frequency or two.

The fact that Spring Break is coming up isn't going to help.
Old Mar 13, 19, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

WN responds:
Old Mar 13, 19, 2:22 pm

The US and Canada apparently acted on data supplied overnight.

Canadian Transportation Minister Garneau referenced “new data that we received this morning and had the chance to analyze” as a driver behind the decision. The latest information provided to Transport Canada came courtesy of Aireon, whose new space-based ADS-B service is tracking aircraft globally.
Old Mar 13, 19, 2:25 pm

Programs: Southwest Airlines Self Loading Freight, AP, CP; BA Gold
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick View Post
I'm curious to see if any 737-800 lines get cancelled to put those planes on Max 8 routes instead. May as well cancel the lines with lower revenue and the higher flexibility of rerouting passengers. I'd think that shuttle routes like DAL-HOU might temporarily lose a frequency or two.

The fact that Spring Break is coming up isn't going to help.
Flight cancellations resulting from fleet shrinkage are seldom a revenue only decision. It is a massively complex puzzle of planes, crews (and their qualifications) and current positioning of both.
Old Mar 13, 19, 2:31 pm

Programs: Once again lowly AA Gold. Lots of AA & AS miles & BA Avios + some DL & UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by argolfer View Post
Yep. And he clearly has the legal authority.

I'm guessing the call went out today based on the same satellite data that forced the Canadians to change their direction on this.

Boeing will now be forced to put all hands on deck and get this fixed. The lawsuits are going to be insane. And lots of orders will be cancelled. But I'm old enough to remember when they grounded the 787. Boeing made it through that, too.....
Yep, and I remember when the DC-10 was grounded. That aircraft is still hauling freight as well as being used as a tanker by USAF. And I totally agree that Boeing will make it through this......
Old Mar 13, 19, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta, American, Continental, US Airways, United
My family and I are flying MCO-DEN tomorrow on SW 2199, original equipment was 737-MAX8. Within 15 minutes of the FAA announcement the equipment was changed to 737-700. Hopefully weather/grounding won't impact the family ski vacation.
GottaLuvCruising likes this.
Old Mar 13, 19, 2:35 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTG, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
There were about a dozen SWA Max8s airborne when the announcement was made according to Flightradar24. Would imagine those folks watching CNN onboard had a uncomfortable feeling to say the least.
jjmadison and PhotoJ like this.

Search this Thread