Upgrades at Airport

Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
Upgrades at Airport

Hi,

Took advantage of the free companion pass that was offered earlier this year. The card also comes with four upgrades this year. Are the upgrades only good for the cardholder or can the companion also be included with the upgrade? f I charge with the RR CC does the upgrade get refunded? How does it all work?

Thank you

ML
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:16 am

You can purchase 4 upgrades for anyone with the Priority card, which will be refunded. You can purchase all 4 at once according to the below, so that would mean you can purchase for others.

Ts & Cs:

SOUTHWEST UPGRADED BOARDINGS

Each anniversary year you will be reimbursed for the purchase of up to 4 Upgraded Boardings which are positions A1-A15. Upgraded Boardings may be purchased at the departure gate or ticket counter on the day of travel only, when available. Price of Upgraded Boardings is based on your itinerary. Anniversary year means the year beginning with your account open date through the first statement date after your account open date anniversary, and the 12 monthly billing cycles after that each year. Eligibility for Upgraded Boardings for accounts that switch to this product: Account open date is the date the switch is official in the Chase system. After you make your purchase with your Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Card, you will receive a statement credit for the price of the Upgraded Boardings. Statement credit and purchase of Upgraded Boardings may not post on the same statement; please allow up to 8 weeks for the statement credit(s) to post to your account. You may purchase all 4 Upgraded Boardings at one time or on separate flights; you will only be reimbursed via statement credit for the first four Upgraded Boardings you purchase during your anniversary year. Account must be open and not in default at the time the statement credit is posted to your account.
drooley likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
And to clarify - one of your four upgrades per passenger.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
And to clarify - one of your four upgrades per passenger.
So you couldn't use 2 upgrades on the same passenger to get them into the cockpit?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
Thank you very much. This was very helpful.

ML
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: HH LifeTime Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt, AA, Delta
Are there sometimes NO upgrades for sale?

So you get the card, pay $149 annual fee ... but if lotsa' people buy the same card, then won't it become unlikely there will be NO upgrades for sale at check-in?

For example, flying out of Atlanta on a Sunday - - and there are only 15 positions so what are the chances of being out of luck?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:04 pm

Maybe too soon to tell, but I fly Southwest every week for the past 5 years and rarely see more that 8 BS pax lined up; usually about 3 on average
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by dmbolp
Maybe too soon to tell, but I fly Southwest every week for the past 5 years and rarely see more that 8 BS pax lined up; usually about 3 on average

I would agree. I have even been on flights where there one or two. A-16 is almost the first to board.
steved5480 and drooley like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp
Frequently 15 BS pax intra-CA...has been so for years.
drooley and nsx like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Mary Louise
Hi,

Took advantage of the free companion pass that was offered earlier this year. The card also comes with four upgrades this year. Are the upgrades only good for the cardholder or can the companion also be included with the upgrade? f I charge with the RR CC does the upgrade get refunded? How does it all work?

Thank you

ML
If you are traveling with a companion, buy one upgrade and save a seat for your companion.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justhere
If you are traveling with a companion, buy one upgrade and save a seat for your companion.

Need to go get some popcorn, and alert my horse.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Aw C'mon bring your emotional support horse on the plane like everybody else
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
Aw C'mon bring your emotional support horse on the plane like everybody else
Personally I have an emotional support dolphin. Still a little miffed they made me add him as the +1 on my Companion Pass. (My wife still has not forgiven me btw). Also---why doesn't Southwest serve herring like KLM? So much easier to give him a meal on long flights.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Had to laugh when I saw the word "upgrade" in this forum.
kennycrudup and Boraxo like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Had to laugh when I saw the word "upgrade" in this forum.
Hey man, you get to pick any coach seat you want

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.