Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

MAX8 concerns trigger "no fare upcharge" changes for *everyone* systemwide thru 3/31

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MAX8 concerns trigger "no fare upcharge" changes for *everyone* systemwide thru 3/31

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:34 am

It's kind of amusing to watch, imagining the half-baked discussions that must have gone into the wild swing from "No [free] changes allowed" to "Everyone can change any flight to anywhere at anytime", probably because that's all they could arrange for their systems to do on short notice, to "Oh crap, now that the plane is grounded we have to modify the schedules anyway and could have just methodically rebooked/allowed changes to affected people. Maybe that would have been cheaper if we'd done it in the first place, and we'd have looked very safety proactive".

Yeah, it would be good if people more carefully read the notices and put them in context, but that is what it is. Boeing's marketing in hindsight is probably cringing at the decision to name the MAX series in a way that overlaps with the existing 737 series, leading to even more confusion between 737-800 and 737-MAX8 etc.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by ftnoob
Not a stupid question at all. I wondered the same thing and was surprised to find no discussion of that on this thread so far. I'm guessing that because there has been no report of an official announcement, the only way to answer the question is through trial and error. Given the 24-hour refund policy, it's a no-risk experiment. Who wants to give it a go?

​​​​​​​Works on points reservations, and also works for co-terminals (at least DCA/IAD/BWI). Had a bunch of travel for the family lined up for the last week of March. Rebooked everyone and saved a bunch of points.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MacStainless
Stupid question: if I bought the cheapest fare possible tomorrow to a destination I want, would I be able to change it to something better (closer airport / better time of day) that’s typically more expensive, or would this be limited to existing reservations prior to the announcement?
You probably have a good shot.

I had a flight booked early morning one day next week and actually wanted to change to a nonstop at 12:30 pm and was willing to pay the difference.

Was offered my choice of any flight that day free.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Often1
You have identified the bottom line problem. No way to tell at this point whether your MAX aircraft will be replaced (and then how many will need to be bumped) or whether, if you change to another flight which is not currently a MAX, that flight will be cancelled and the aircraft assigned to perform another flight.

You could just wait for things to settle down, but then you risk not finding space on other WN flights or even being able to buy tickets on AA (WN does not have interline agreements).

Just a datapoint for anyone with a future scheduled max flight. My flight is next Saturday the 23rd. I was watching the same flight for this Saturday the 16th, which was cancelled yesterday or this morning and now has been removed from the booking schedule.

I figured that was bad news for me, so I went to take another look at mine, and now the plane type on the schedule has been changed from a max to a 737-800.

So that givers me some hope. Still know I could get moved around at the last minute, but more willing to take my chances.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Now the bloggers have "discovered" that you can buy a cheap WGA fare and instantly trade it in for a flight with no WGA fares available. How long before WN kills this policy?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:26 pm

Protecting every single flight through the end of the month was a dumb implementation to begin with, and it really backfired on them, causing confusion and generating unnecessary calls/tweets/emails. I assume they're at work trying to figure out how to better address the grounding issues moving forward, and if they can do that before the 31st I bet they'll pull down the current advisory. If not, I can't see it lasting past then in any case.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by Tanic
Now the bloggers have "discovered" that you can buy a cheap WGA fare and instantly trade it in for a flight with no WGA fares available. How long before WN kills this policy?
Of course they will kill this policy as soon as they can address it from a software standpoint. There is no reason for the policy since the max planes are now grounded.

I greatly benefited from this policy as I had buyers remorse about the flight I chose, but the change was huge dollars when I looked to change and then suddenly - no charge.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:16 pm

Oh, so it's up to Southwest's crack IT team?
joshua362 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by ursine1
Oh, so it's up to Southwest's crack IT team?
Exactly, otherwise it would have been restricted to Max flights only from day one, no?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by joshua362
Exactly, otherwise it would have been restricted to Max flights only from day one, no?
as others have said -- IT limitations.

problem is that website/ticketing system doesn't know what flights are max. due to subs, day of issues, etc

in fact, website doesn't even always know when flight is cancelled. Often cancellation email comes in, it has occasionally shown same flight on sale (and is willing to ticket a booking even hours later, etc). Also, some flights with cancellation emails that DO show cancelled on flight status page STILL allow for a new online checkin to be done. Crazy
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why in the world did it take the bloggers so long to figure this out? It was obvious as soon as the WN policy was announced. Do you think some people were taking care of themselves and their own first (and perhaps using paid subscription feeds or paid subscription email updates?) and then spreading the word among their readers?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:57 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why in the world did it take the bloggers so long to figure this out? It was obvious as soon as the WN policy was announced. Do you think some people were taking care of themselves and their own first (and perhaps using paid subscription feeds or paid subscription email updates?) and then spreading the word among their readers?
They are busy making money selling credit cards. They needed the members of this forum to spoon feed them the information.
joshua362, Tanic, buschoi and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Originally Posted by lougord99
Of course they will kill this policy as soon as they can address it from a software standpoint. There is no reason for the policy since the max planes are now grounded.

I greatly benefited from this policy as I had buyers remorse about the flight I chose, but the change was huge dollars when I looked to change and then suddenly - no charge.
I think they have killed the policy now... the 737-MAX8 announcement on the Southwest website does not make mention anymore of free changes unless there is a cancellation of the flight.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by PHXflier
I think they have killed the policy now... the 737-MAX8 announcement on the Southwest website does not make mention anymore of free changes unless there is a cancellation of the flight.
Does look that way, The free change banner is gone from my remaining reservations.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Does look that way, The free change banner is gone from my remaining reservations.
DAMN IT!!!!

I was just about to take advantage of this!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.