Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

MAX8 concerns trigger "no fare upcharge" changes for *everyone* systemwide thru 3/31

MAX8 concerns trigger "no fare upcharge" changes for *everyone* systemwide thru 3/31

Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:21 am

On 03/11, I accidentally brought a friend to OAK instead of SFO for his flight to ATL. Panicked, I turned around and prepared to pay the fare difference to fly out of OAK when his SWA app on his phone gave him the offer to change his flight at no cost due to weather, etc. I assumed it was due to some sort of delay at SFO, but his original flight was still on time. Then I thought maybe the app was smart enough to know his location and offer to change his flight to OAK based on capacity. Nice to know what's really going on.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by AustinJoey
Nice to know what's really going on.
My view from the sidelines is that WN does not want to go public with an announcement causing rebooking panic but figures a much smaller percentage of the public will put 2 & 2 together and/or hear it from other sources then will be pleasant surprised & placated to find no charge rebooking.

It's not limited because there is no confidence or ability for programmers to limit the changes to affected aircraft only.

Much of the public doesn't obsess about FT, aviation and its related news like we do and they are "banking" on that...
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:12 am

I suspect that Southwest is trying to limit the changes to those people who are truly anxious. I also suspect that with the reports that several US pilots have reported control issues but recovered that the FAA may soon ground the MAXs. I suspect that as those reports are publicized more pilots will come forward with addiitonal unreported instances.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:12 pm

Southwest Flight Going to be Cancelled??

We have a flight out of MCI Friday morning to MDW on Southwest. We have a 5:40 pm flight to AGP from ORD on American. I got this message when I opened the Southwest app to check on the flight (knowing they've been cancelling flights). Should I be concerned we're going to be cancelled? My other issue is that we used flight credit from a previously cancelled flight for this and that credit was going to expire at the beginning of June and we have no other travel plans before then. If I need to cancel, will the credit show that old date or will it get an extension? Thinking maybe I need to book a different airline now before it's too late and we miss our overseas flight... ugh!!

Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:28 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Jfultz81
Should I be concerned we're going to be cancelled?
Literally everyone traveling on Southwest through Monday is seeing this message. It's a freebie to improve your flight date or time. Nothing more.

Edit: That was written just before the MAX8's were grounded. Now there will be a lot of cancellations.

Last edited by nsx; Mar 13, 2019 at 12:45 pm
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: Southwest Hilton Diamond
Just popped up on my AP News app that the US is now grounding all MAX8's, everyone can stop worrying now.....
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Literally everyone traveling on Southwest through Monday is seeing this message. It's a freebie to improve your flight date or time. Nothing more.
Let's hope.. because they cancelled a bunch of flights out of MCI today (and yesterday's SWA1212 flight was cancelled)... ugh!
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: WN (CP 6x, A+ 2x), Marriott (LT Titanium), Hyatt Explorer, Hertz PC, UA/*A Silver
FWIW, I'm trying to change a couple of non-MAX flight that used points (MDW-MCO-MDW). I don't see that message (shown in the previous few posts) in the app, nor on the website. The app and website both indicate I have to pay the fare difference in points. I called but the rep said I'd have to pay the difference in points. Of course, I may need to HUCA No complaints, because I'm happy with what I reserved, but what a windfall this would be if I was able to change at no charge.

Last edited by illinidad; Mar 13, 2019 at 1:05 pm Reason: added flight routes
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by illinidad
FWIW, I'm trying to change a couple of non-MAX flight that used points (MDW-MCO-MDW). I don't see that message (shown in the previous few posts) in the app, nor on the website. The app and website both indicate I have to pay the fare difference in points. I called but the rep said I'd have to pay the difference in points. Of course, I may need to HUCA No complaints, because I'm happy with what I reserved, but what a windfall this would be if I was able to change at no charge.
Interesting. I'm still getting the message in the Android app for my flights scheduled on 700s. I figure it will go away as the MAXes are grounded, but I guess we'll see when.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:22 pm

What are the flight dates? As I understand it, the current waiver only extends until March 18.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:07 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
It's now good for travel booked through March 31. New notice on southwest.com:

https://www.southwest.com/html/advis...510386822.html

737 MAX 8 Travel Advisory

Flexible Accommodation Options Available Through Sunday, March 31Currently, we are offering flexible accommodations through Sunday, March 31. Due to high call volumes and extended hold times, we strongly encourage Customers to cancel, rebook, and check flight status at southwest.com.Customers who are holding reservations may rebook in the original class of service or travel standby (within 14 days of their original date of travel between the original city-pairs and in accordance with our accommodation procedures) without paying any additional charge. Customers who purchased their itinerary via Southwest.com or our mobile app are eligible to reschedule their travel plans online or from their mobile device.

Customers who did not purchase a ticket via Southwest.com can call 1-800-435-9792 to speak with a Customer Representative.Customers in the U.S. scheduled to travel internationally must call 1-800-435-9792 to speak with a Customer Representative for assistance with rebooking.

HOWEVER the implementation of this policy is lagging: neither the website nor the app are currently showing me the necessary fare upgrade waiver.

Last edited by nsx; Mar 13, 2019 at 3:21 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: WN (CP 6x, A+ 2x), Marriott (LT Titanium), Hyatt Explorer, Hertz PC, UA/*A Silver
Originally Posted by ursine1
What are the flight dates? As I understand it, the current waiver only extends until March 18.
Mar 25 MDW-MCO
Apr 2 MCO-MDW
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
We have 737-MAX8 here in Phoenix, too. They will be grounded all MAX8 until further notice

Here’s the link:

GROUNDED PLANES: Southwest Airlines says you have options if you were set to fly on a 737 Max 8. Details in app.
https://www.azfamily.com/news/ap/tru...5ee9d61a5.html
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:20 pm

Mar 25 MDW-MCO
Apr 2 MCO-MDW

You weren't protected under the previous (unannounced) waiver. Looks like now your MDW-MCO should be, but your return flight is not (yet, at least).
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:36 pm

I have an SJC-LAS flight within the MAX Advisory (March 24th). The online portal is also showing that I would need to pay for a fare difference. FWIW the flight is scheduled on a -700.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.