Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plenty of bumps this Winter

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Plenty of bumps this Winter

Hey folks. New guy on the forum. I have been a WN guy for years. A+ listed for probably the last 6 or so. Needless to say, I travel relatively often. Has anyone noticed a more than usual amount of trips that have been very bumpy? I have done 4 in the past month that have all had at least one leg where the attendants were unable to carry out service. BWI is my home airport. I have done Buffalo, Dallas, SLC and STL. Is this simply a function of the winter weather (I don't recall it ever being this bad), or, something with operations? I even had my first 'go around' on the Buffalo to BWI landing.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:34 pm

Thought you meant bump as in giving up your seat to fly later. Wife got $775 for traveling 4 hours later last SUN.
dlaue and nsx like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I had a landing into BWI that was probably the second worse ride of my flight life. Also a DEN-ABQ segment that was a fun armrest gripping rodeo, interestingly the crew managed a full service on that after "the catch you next time" apology on the 4 smooth segments prior.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
During this past winter the jet stream, instead of making a nice straight west-east path across the country, has been looking more like a slithering snake making large north-south gyrations. Also the jet stream is reaching down to lower altitudes than usual. Especially during polar vortices.

It is harder to flight plan to avoid this, thus your airplane may encounter more turbulent air than in a normal winter (if those still exist).
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Yeah, I also got excited when opening this thread. VDB's are quite a unicorn on WN these days since it was determined modern day society is not capable of handling overbooking.
dc2 and kennycrudup like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:14 pm

VBDs are up right now with the maintenance issues, with passengers stranded overnight and the need to get them out on the first flight next morning
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by dmbolp
VBDs are up right now with the maintenance issues, with passengers stranded overnight and the need to get them out on the first flight next morning
Seriously??? Did you actually read the OP's post?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
Seriously??? Did you actually read the OP's post?
I did, it's about bumpy weather, so what?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
So, if the post is about BUMPY weather, and not your post... I am also confused.

YOUR POST: VBDs are up right now with the maintenance issues, with passengers stranded overnight and the need to get them out on the first flight next morning
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
So, if the post is about BUMPY weather, and not your post... I am also confused.

YOUR POST: VBDs are up right now with the maintenance issues, with passengers stranded overnight and the need to get them out on the first flight next morning
Look at the post directly above mine, a reference to VBDs, that's what I was responding to. I doubt a thread about "bumpy" weather has a lot of legs
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:12 am

Misleading thread title.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:26 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Misleading thread title.
You've got to be kidding me
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:01 pm

It could be my imagination, but it seems to me that flying is in general more bumpy these days. (Little anecdote: my family flew overseas during the dawn of the jet age, and my dad consoled my nervous-flyer mother by balancing a cigarette on end on the tray table). As I understand climate change, this is to be expected, with generally warmer temperatures and more moisture in the atmosphere.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why is this even under WN. Hopefully a MOD will be along to move it to the weather channel or whatever.
joshua362 and kennycrudup like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
I would say most of my flights this winter had some bumps, and I had 3 or 4 that were predominantly bumpy. I have had worse over the years. I flew WN a few times but mostly UA/AC, worst one was some storms in Chicago made a bit of an exciting approach (flight attendants take your seats please type), and then some super windy days in Toronto made some exciting takeoffs. I also though had the smoothest flight of my life from GSO to IAD on of all things a CRJ 200 (aka devils chariot) on United.

The WN flights from BUF - TPA and BWI - BUF and one from BUF-MDW-STL were all just average - just a few bumps here and there.

I really do wish WN flew from Toronto or Hamilton, it would be very convenient for me. Not their thing I know but . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.