Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Free changes now! (was: Southwest refusing to accommodate people who afraid of MAX8)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free changes now! (was: Southwest refusing to accommodate people who afraid of MAX8)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum
I just got off the phone with someone at the Southwest corporate office. I have flights on June 4th and August 16th-both scheduled to be flown on the 737 MAX 8. When I tried to get the fare difference waived and placed on another flight not operated by the 737 MAX, they would not budge. This was at 4PM eastern today.

I just saw that they seem to be allowing changes until May 27th. I don’t understand why this waiver can’t be extended, especially for those who purchased their ticket prior to the latest crash.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by gregman858
I just got off the phone with someone at the Southwest corporate office. I have flights on June 4th and August 16th-both scheduled to be flown on the 737 MAX 8. When I tried to get the fare difference waived and placed on another flight not operated by the 737 MAX, they would not budge. This was at 4PM eastern today.

I just saw that they seem to be allowing changes until May 27th. I don’t understand why this waiver can’t be extended, especially for those who purchased their ticket prior to the latest crash.

Because by that time, SW, along with the rest of the world hopes to know what caused this crash & Boeing should have time to correct anything, if there is really anything, systematically wrong. If by May 27th, no new news it out, or the world comes to find out it truly was Boeings error & a fix has not been instituted. I'm sure SW will extend this waiver. However, they have 3+ months to correct. Let them do so. You purchased the ticket, something happened, they are looking to correct. If they cannot, you'll be due a refund. But, you don't have the right to change your flight for free....
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:25 pm

Also, just out of curiosity. What is the purpose of flying SW when you have Delta Platinum? I'm sure a difference in fare is extremely minimal compared to the amount you spend on flying with Delta every year. Why not even just eat the fare you paid, switch your business over to Delta where you get the status perks & then you won't have to worry about flying a MAX... I just don't see the point of fighting with SW over this when you can be much "safer" running with your standard loyalty airline?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by mendezka
Because by that time, SW, along with the rest of the world hopes to know what caused this crash & Boeing should have time to correct anything, if there is really anything, systematically wrong. If by May 27th, no new news it out, or the world comes to find out it truly was Boeings error & a fix has not been instituted. I'm sure SW will extend this waiver. However, they have 3+ months to correct. Let them do so. You purchased the ticket, something happened, they are looking to correct. If they cannot, you'll be due a refund. But, you don't have the right to change your flight for free....

I don't have the right to change my ticket for free, but everyone else does until May 27th? LOL, do you work for Southwest? I have the same right as anyone booked on the 737 MAX right now-I booked before the crash and no longer feel comfortable flying this model plane. It's not like I booked yesterday and I am trying to game the system. Give me a break...
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:32 pm

Also, just out of curiosity. What is the purpose of flying SW when you have Delta Platinum? I'm sure a difference in fare is extremely minimal compared to the amount you spend on flying with Delta every year. Why not even just eat the fare you paid, switch your business over to Delta where you get the status perks & then you won't have to worry about flying a MAX... I just don't see the point of fighting with SW over this when you can be much "safer" running with your standard loyalty airline?
First, my status with Delta has nothing to do with this issue. I am Platinum with Delta (based on a status match) but I would rather fly non-stop if possible. Southwest offered a non-stop on my desired route from my home city so I bought that ticket. I'm not going to "eat the fare I paid" since I spend soooooo much money on Delta.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:34 pm

I don't have the right to change my ticket for free, but everyone else does until May 27th? LOL, do you work for Southwest? I have the same right as anyone booked on the 737 MAX right now-I booked before the crash and no longer feel comfortable flying this model plane. It's not like I booked yesterday and I am trying to game the system. Give me a break...
Um yes, as per the airline. That is precisely the case... And no you don't have the same right as anyone booked on the 737 MAX right now. SW clearly states they are giving a waiver until May 27th. You may disagree with what they are doing. But you don't have a right to change your ticket for free, like others do. I get you aren't trying to game the system or anything. If you no longer feel safe. Pay the fare difference, or switch airlines.... I don't see whats so difficult? You agreed to a fare, they accepted. New information may have come out that you deem changes your mindset on whether or not the flight is safe. But the FAA, Southwest, & Boeing all agree, as of right now with the current information. The flight is safe.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:40 pm

Um yes, as per the airline. That is precisely the case... And no you don't have the same right as anyone booked on the 737 MAX right now. SW clearly states they are giving a waiver until May 27th. You may disagree with what they are doing. But you don't have a right to change your ticket for free, like others do. I get you aren't trying to game the system or anything. If you no longer feel safe. Pay the fare difference, or switch airlines.... I don't see whats so difficult? You agreed to a fare, they accepted. New information may have come out that you deem changes your mindset on whether or not the flight is safe. But the FAA, Southwest, & Boeing all agree, as of right now with the current information. The flight is safe.
I agreed to the fare before the second 737 MAX 8 went down this Sunday. What don't you understand about that? How do you know the flight is safe? How do you know the flight poses a danger? YOU DON'T. That's the problem here. There hasn't been a completed investigation so nobody can say with certainty what the problem is or isn't. You are entitled to your own opinion, as am I. But my opinion is there should be a waiver in place for all passengers booked on this flight until an investigation is completed. I simply came on here to post my experience trying to change my flight, not to start an argument.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:44 pm

SW clearly states they are giving a waiver until May 27th.
Where are people seeing a waiver through May 27?

I just tried to change some flights I have booked in April and I'm seeing the usual fare differences to change.

Has anything at all been published regarding the MAX waiver?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:44 pm

First, my status with Delta has nothing to do with this issue. I am Platinum with Delta (based on a status match) but I would rather fly non-stop if possible. Southwest offered a non-stop on my desired route from my home city so I bought that ticket. I'm not going to "eat the fare I paid" since I spend soooooo much money on Delta.
Fair enough. Don't eat the fare, fly your direct flight on the 737 MAX. Like you agreed to. I don't see a valid argument on your end. Besides you don't feel safe anymore. Frankly, SW, nor any other airline give a d*** about feelings. I don't feel like having a stopover on an upcoming flight with SW. 1 of the legs uses a 737 MAX. Should I call & get myself a non-stop? Maybe I want to arrive a bit earlier in the day than before? The list goes on and on. You agreed to a fare, unless new information comes out, proving that the aircraft is not suitable to fly. You are bound to your contract. That's it.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Where are people seeing a waiver through May 27?

I just tried to change some flights I have booked in April and I'm seeing the usual fare differences to change.

Has anything at all been published regarding the MAX waiver?
Sorry, I was just quoting his May 27th date. I genuinely have no clue how accurate that is. Maybe someone posted it on another of the 100 threads here. I'd take that date with a grain of salt. Originally I read somewhere it was just through March 19th or some date in the immediate short term. Apologies again for confusing, I was just using his data point.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:49 pm

I saw the date on this boardingarea.com post. It seems they have edited the date now to March 27th.

https://dealswelike.boardingarea.com...492.1541512203
ursine1 likes this.

Last edited by gregman858; Mar 12, 2019 at 4:55 pm
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:52 pm

I agreed to the fare before the second 737 MAX 8 went down this Sunday. What don't you understand about that? How do you know the flight is safe? How do you know the flight poses a danger? YOU DON'T. That's the problem here. There hasn't been a completed investigation so nobody can say with certainty what the problem is or isn't. You are entitled to your own opinion, as am I. But my opinion is there should be a waiver in place for all passengers booked on this flight until an investigation is completed. I simply came on here to post my experience trying to change my flight, not to start an argument.
That doesn't give you any legal right to demand a change waiver though. I get you would like one, just as many many people would. But they can't do it. Your flight isn't for another 3 months. Information should come out by then, and if it doesn't. Then come back & people (myself included) will be more sympathetic. I get someone flying on the plane this week requesting to change. But you have a flight in June. Wait until Boeing either corrects the error, or proves that there is nothing wrong with the aircraft.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
Also, I don't know if your doing this or not, but please don't denigrate the Chinese. Yes, I know lots of people out there are saying they made an essentially corrupt decision that had nothing to do with safety. However, the opposite could also be true: the FAA is making a corrupt decision by NOT grounding the planes in order to protect Boeing. Of course, nobody would argue the fine people in the Trump Administration are corrupt, or would sacrifice safety to satisfy America's largest exporter, now would they????
Of course. Imagine it would be A320neo crashes. They would probably ground A350 for good measure too. People would be calling it Scarebus and Sully will be in TV saying how side-sticks are inherently unsafe etc. etc.

Edit: Found the link, it took 2 days for FAA to ground a French jet with trim issues - https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...or-rap-423129/

Last edited by danielSuper; Mar 12, 2019 at 5:17 pm
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:13 pm
jmw

I'm one of the anti-Southwest/Boeing/FAA folks who believe the 737max is unsafe until proven otherwise. I have flights during the next week and many flights over the next month that I have to watch for last minute aircraft swaps because I will not ride this bird. That being said, your flight isn't for 3 months. Southwest is already letting us change flights at the last minute so I can protect myself against last minute swaps and you'll probably have the same ability if the situation isn't resolved by late May. Southwest's reaction isn't the best, but it is good enough since I can avoid the 737max for my close-in flights. I am very confident that Boeing will fix the problem and the 737 max will be safe because it will cost them big money to continue the status quo. I have flights longer out and I won't deal with them until it's closer to departure. You should be patient and do the same as well. You'll have plenty of company and help if June comes around and the 737max situation isn't resolved.
diburning and mendezka like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:58 pm

We fly often but are far from aircraft gurus. Is the 737 MAX marked as such on the flight # ? I read that WN only has 31 of the 737 MAX aircraft so all of the 737-800 are not the MAX, correct ? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.