Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Free changes now! (was: Southwest refusing to accommodate people who afraid of MAX8)

Free changes now! (was: Southwest refusing to accommodate people who afraid of MAX8)

Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by tatterdema
Now Turkey has banned it, and AA flight attendants union is calling for it to be grounded. I think the US will soon be pressured into grounding it.
Boeing 737 MAX operations suspended in Europe

EASA Press Release
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: WN A+ Preffered CP, DL SK GOld, AA Gold
Lion Air (JT) founded in 1999 has had 16 incidents with 2 events involving death, one with 25 deaths and one with 189. Ethiopian Airlines (ET) was founded in 1961 and has had 67 incidents with 492 deaths. WN was founded in 1971, is the largest US domestic carrier, operates over 3,200 flights a day has had 7 incidents with one of those causing a death on the ground and one death caused in midair. I get it that the amount of cancellations and the dispute with the Mechanics have put WN in the news, a lot, and needs to be addressed. The ET co pilot had 200 hours of flying. 200 hours. New Plane, new pilot, most US Carriers won't look at you till you have 1,500 hours. If you don't want to fly WN, ask for a refund.
Dallas49er likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

tracon, do the numbers and you'll find out you're wrong. How many concerts with thousands of people have there been in Las Vegas? How many Max 8 flights with hundreds have there been? Not even comparable.

Last edited by PaulMSN; Mar 12, 2019 at 12:54 pm
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:21 pm

One in Asia, one in Africa.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:43 pm

I say just wait it out. Either they will crash and there won't be left to fly, or they won't crash and it is ok.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Arguing about whether these frames are safe is plain silly. There is not enough known.

That said, I would err on the side of caution. Until an investigation determines that the aircraft are airworthy, they ought to be grounded. If not, I would not fly one. Period.

Hope it turns out to be either nothing or the software upgrade Boeing is rolling out today solves it. But, until then, this is a simple call.
tatterdema and PhotoJ like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:36 pm

Sorry, no.

In the US, as long as the airline, BOEING, or the FAA deem the aircraft to be airworthy, such changes should continue to be considered as voluntary, with the customer subject to the fare limitations s/he had purchased.
mendezka likes this.

Last edited by californiadreamin'; Mar 12, 2019 at 2:38 pm Reason: .
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by californiadreamin'
In the US, as long as the airline, BOEING, or the FAA deem the aircraft to be airworthy, such changes should continue to be considered as voluntary, with the customer subject to the fare limitations s/he had purchased.
You realize that Southwest is allowing free changes, right?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
You realize that Southwest is allowing free changes, right?
Okaaaayyy, and so......?!? No contradiction there... voluntary changes do not have to be accommodated. They sometimes are, for various reasons.

Last edited by californiadreamin'; Mar 12, 2019 at 3:05 pm Reason: .
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
Look, if you want to put you and your kids on an airliner with two remarkably similar crashes in 4 or so months, and with a highly-controversial flight control system, then be my guest. All I'm saying is people should have a choice, and Southwest should be a good enough company to allow for that choice to occur without any sort of penalty or impediment.
I see your point. And thanks for bringing in small children to the conversation.

Please try to see my point- 2 data points out of x thousands +/- of flights is just that-2 points. Add in 3rd/4th world pilots who have never really, really flown an aircraft, ever.

If one wants wring one’s hands over the injustice, decry corporate villainy/insensitivity, and overreact at the speed of light-Go Greyhound might a viable option.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Mar 12, 2019 at 4:00 pm
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ObscuredByClouds

Source for this? You are incorrect, the double mandate to promote aviation was removed after the crash of Valujet 652 as another poster mentioned.
Here?

https://www.faa.gov/about/mission/activities/

Encouraging and developing civil aeronautics, including new aviation technology
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I think I may be an outlier here. I really have no compulsion or need to change my schedule just to avoid flying on a MAX-8 when I return home at the end of this week. I will not do it for my next R/T at the end of March or my last scheduled R/T the second week in April. It is just not something I worry about.

However, if by some random act of graciousness WN offers me the choice of a MAX-8 or some other aircraft, I take the other, but I am not going to seek it out.

I may end up on a plane all to myself and the flight crew. I bet they still don't comp a drink.
Dallas49er and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by InkUnderNails; Mar 12, 2019 at 3:49 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I may end up on a plane all to myself and the flight crew. I bet they still don't comp a drink.
You could head over to the newly revived "Seat Saving" thread and gloat.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
Encouraging and developing civil aeronautics, including new aviation technology
The top FAA job has been vacant for 14 months, airline enforcement fines have dropped 88% in two years and lengthy tarmac delays have doubled.

WSJ
Airrage likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by californiadreamin'
Okaaaayyy, and so......?!? No contradiction there... voluntary changes do not have to be accommodated. They sometimes are, for various reasons.

You said "No" as if it meant something. I just wanted to point out, since it seemed maybe you weren't aware, that Southwest has already decided on the issue. And that's all that matters.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.