Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Free changes now! (was: Southwest refusing to accommodate people who afraid of MAX8)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free changes now! (was: Southwest refusing to accommodate people who afraid of MAX8)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK there are only MAX 8s and MAX 9s currently in service. I don't think any other MAX aircraft types have been delivered yet. Moreover, it's the MAX 8 that's experienced the two crashes; I'm not aware of any problems that have been reported with MAX 9 aircraft, although of course they are similar to the MAX 8 and might have some of the same issues, if indeed a design flaw is involved (and there's no proof that this is true).
Pending mandatory software update = design flaw, no?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:41 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Mike Rivers
. Maybe it's too far in advance (DAL-DCA April 2) for them to give away that store yet.
Correct. Free changes are for original travel dates through March 18 currently. My guess is that this will be extended, but that it will become narrower in scope.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Another bad day for LUV stock in the market today. So far, another 2.5% drop in value. Total 30 day drop of 12% of value. They were getting hit hard by the maintenance issues already and this has exacerbated their value issues.

Only reason I am mentioning it here is that this drop in value might have more influence than the ACTUAL safety of the 737 Max in forcing SWA in to action on either grounding the planes or offering free change alternatives.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:58 am

That is changing rapidly. There should never be throwing caution to the wind when it comes to airline safety. They ones that are not grounding these aircraft have relocated to airline Las Vegas.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by tracon
How many of you nervous nellies will still go to a concert in Vegas, a night club in Orlando or send your kids to school?
How many of you nervous nellies are still smoking, eating unhealthy food and not exercising?

The Max is the least of our worries.
And which of the above is something you do to earn status?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: DL DM 360, Qatar Plat, Etihad Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by jmw
I have four flights in the next month on MAX. Southwest better let me change it or I will make sure everyone at the gate area know that the flight is 737MAX that's crashed twice in Asia. WN can't possibly let this go on. It's none of my concern that Boeing, Southwest, and the FAA look bad because the Chinese acted first. Whether the Chinese acted due to politics or genuine concern for passengers doesn't matter to me either. I don't want to fly on 737MAX anymore and I will not be charged extra for changing flights.

Before you look crazy and ignorant, let me help you a bit on geography. Ethiopia is on the continent of Africa not Asia.

Also, given that multiple “witnesses” have told different stories, one going so far as saying clothes and paper were flying out of the plane as sparks and fire came from the rear before it crashed, I’m not sure we are at a point to say they are related. Maybe they are, maybe they aren’t. I just don’t think there’s enough evidence for you to start making scenes at airports.
mendezka likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
I get it, I wouldn't want to fly on a Max myself right now, but I also get that SW is waiting on guidance from Boeing, and the FAA, and there is not a smoking gun as to what is going on yet. They were newer planes, so you would not think maintenance, but who knows what will come from the investigations. For South West if they re-accommodated everyone on each of their flights it would be a pretty big hit. I get that they are relying on their maintenance, and the training and experience of the pilots, and what to look for. I would trust in the pilots, they know what happened to the Lion Air flight, and what caused it to occur, and what they need to do to avoid it. As for the recent one, the investigation has barely started, time will tell what happened.

Patrick
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Thumbs up Most MAX flights in USA and Canada yet

Most MAX flights are in USA and Canada yet there have been no similar crashes in North America. If there had been similar incidents in North America in which the pilots were able to recover then we would know about it. I doubt it could be kept secret.. Statistically, I would say that the problem is related to maintenance or pilot error or the climate at the airport and not to the plane itself. I would fly in a MAX but only in the Western Hemisphere. If airlines can accommodate the passenger with their own flight schedule then that would be reasonable but not on another airline. This would be just one more thing that would force the airlines to raise our ticket prices.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lighthouse206
Roughly 1/3 of worldwide fleet is grounded due to safety concerns... and United is re-accommodating those with concerns who don't want to fly on it. Yet, at Southwest it's "pay the difference in fare or screw you."

Who would have thought United would have better customer service than Southwest?

Herb must be turning over in his grave...

People can disagree, but there are legitimate concerns about this aircraft. People shouldn't be forced to fly on it or forced to pay a penalty.

Talk about "nuts."
Yup.
United has 7 in the air right now .... whoops, make that 6
WN has 12 ... Whoops, make that 11 .... errr 10!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: AS, Hyatt , Marirott
Cool What if......

So, if they find out that these planes went down due to maintenance issues, or flight crew error, or training issues not completed by low time crews, can retro change fees (you know ...those fee-fees for nuthin) be collected?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: DL,EK
And now banned by:

China
Australia
Oman
UK
Norway
Iceland
France
Germany
Malaysia
Ireland
Singapore

Last edited by DesertNomad; Mar 12, 2019 at 11:00 am
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
And now banned by:

China
Australia
Oman
UK
Norway
Iceland
France
Germany
Malaysia
Norway
Ireland
Singapore
Wow, Norway and Iceland gave them the dreaded double ban!
mendezka likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by geo979
Wow, Norway and Iceland gave them the dreaded double ban!
Only Norway (edited my post) Ireland and Iceland are different countries.

Also according to Al Jazeera:

Indonesia
Ethiopia
South Korea
Mongolia

And specific airlines:
Gol Linhas Aereas (Brazil)
Aeromexico
Aerolineas Argentinas
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:05 am
Original Poster

SAD to watch a (formerly) great American company behave this way. The world has spoken, and these things need to be grounded until the situation is addressed. WN should get in front of this rather than lead from behind. Sad.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: HH Silver
Now Turkey has banned it, and AA flight attendants union is calling for it to be grounded. I think the US will soon be pressured into grounding it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.