Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Free changes now! (was: Southwest refusing to accommodate people who afraid of MAX8)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free changes now! (was: Southwest refusing to accommodate people who afraid of MAX8)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:28 am

How many of you nervous nellies will still go to a concert in Vegas, a night club in Orlando or send your kids to school?
How many of you nervous nellies are still smoking, eating unhealthy food and not exercising?

The Max is the least of our worries.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:43 am

There aren’t that many MAX 8 in the US

I wish more people read Plane and Pilot instead of CNN. Then you’d know that it’s a human/machine interface interaction with a rare malfunction in a sensor that only affects the MAX 8/9, not every MAX in the fleet. I have faith in WN and AA pilots being properly trained and I will happily get in one any day of the week. In my case, this Friday (although it looks like they already switched it to a -700).
https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/art.../#.XIe8GihKjuo

Last edited by pmiranda; Mar 12, 2019 at 8:05 am
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:46 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Thread title updated.

Southwest is now offering free changes to everyone systemwide, Max8 or not. You can even change your trip to fly on a MAX8 if you prefer that aircraft. Your new trip must be within 14 days of the originally booked trip. This could be a big win if you booked a low fare connection at an inconvenient time and you would prefer a nonstop.

See discussion at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sout...t-swa-app.html
pmiranda, steved5480 and ryw like this.

Last edited by nsx; Mar 12, 2019 at 8:47 am
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by tracon

The Max is the least of our worries.
Easy to say. 40% of them are now parked.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:51 am

Boeing 737 Max aircrafts have been banned from arriving, departing and flying in UK airspace after Sunday's Ethiopia Airlines plane crash, the Civil Aviation Authority has said.

In a statement, the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) said: "As we do not currently have sufficient information from the flight data recorder we have, as a precautionary measure, issued instructions to stop any commercial passenger flights from any operator arriving, departing or overflying UK airspace.

"The UK Civil Aviation Authority's safety directive will be in place until further notice.
MAX Banned Fron UK Airspace
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:52 am

How do I know beforehand if my plane will be a 737-700 MAX?

I am scheduled to fly Southwest next month from MHT to TUC through MDW. I tried to see what type of aircraft is scheduled and it just says 737-700. Do I assume this is a MAX or would it say that in the aircraft discription?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Easy to say. 40% of them are now parked.
Not in the US, where most of us are located.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck

Yes siree bob. And they all undergo mandated "flight control system enhancements" by April 30.

“This includes updates to the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) flight control law, pilot displays, operation manuals and crew training. The enhanced flight control law incorporates angle of attack (AOA) inputs, limits stabilizer trim commands in response to an erroneous angle of attack reading, and provides a limit to the stabilizer command in order to retain elevator authority."
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by chilipepper54
I am scheduled to fly Southwest next month from MHT to TUC through MDW. I tried to see what type of aircraft is scheduled and it just says 737-700. Do I assume this is a MAX or would it say that in the aircraft discription?
If WN doesn't have it, you can look it up on flightstats.com

Edit: You can click on the flight number when making the reservation.

Last edited by rrgg; Mar 12, 2019 at 8:44 am
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Hyatt, SPG, American
737-700 is not a MAX. If you are flying a MAX plane it will say that in the description. Will look like 737 MAX8..
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
I just heard from an industry source (pilot) that WN, AA, and UA have just voluntarily grounded their MAX fleets. Cannot confirm independently.

EDIT 945pm ET: Obviously this was not publicly confirmed Monday.
For what it's worth, I have four flights on Southwest (two round trips, each with a plane change) booked at the end of this month. I got curious to see if any of them were scheduled on a 737-Max. According to FlightAware.com, one of the four uses that aircraft. It's the one that brings me home, so I hope it works. I chose Southwest for this trip specifically because the reason for making it may evaporate before my scheduled departure, and their generous change policy would allow me to bank the money and use it for a future flight, as opposed to a $100-$125 change/cancellation fee on United, Alaska, American, or Delta. It was my choice, and, hopefully, I'll live with it.

On the news here (after I posted this) that Southwest (in the app) is now allowing changes from Max flights, I checked my flights in the app and it didn't directly tell me that I could change the one that's affected. Maybe it's too far in advance (DAL-DCA April 2) for them to give away that store yet.

Last edited by Mike Rivers; Mar 12, 2019 at 8:28 am Reason: Updated info
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Hyatt, SPG, American
Confirmation?

Originally Posted by nsx
Thread title updated.

Southwest is now offering free changes to everyone systemwide, Max8 or not. You can even change your trip to fly on a MAX8 if you prefer that aircraft. Your new trip must be within 14 days of the originally booked trip. This could be a big win if you booked a low fare connection at an inconvenient time and you would prefer a nonstop.

Do you have confirmation of this from Southwest? I cannot find on their website and that thread looks deleted..thanks
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Southwest is having another bad day with 90 flights canceled already today. In comparison, AA has canceled 30 and Delta has canceled 3.

per flightaware, none of the flights that I could see that were canceled were using the 737Max. It appears that SWA is still suffering from their operational issues from last week.

If they do ground the Max, cancellations will only get worse. But flying SWA this week remains a challenge as I found out the hard way on Saturday.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pmiranda
I wish more people read Plane and Pilot instead of CNN. Then you’d know that it’s a human/machine interface interaction with a rare malfunction in a sensor that only affects the MAX 8/9, not every MAX in the fleet. I have faith in WN and AA pilots being properly trained and I will happily get in one any day of the week. In my case, this Friday (although it looks like they already switched it to a -700).
https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/art.../#.XIe8GihKjuo
AFAIK there are only MAX 8s and MAX 9s currently in service. I don't think any other MAX aircraft types have been delivered yet. Moreover, it's the MAX 8 that's experienced the two crashes; I'm not aware of any problems that have been reported with MAX 9 aircraft, although of course they are similar to the MAX 8 and might have some of the same issues, if indeed a design flaw is involved (and there's no proof that this is true).

Originally Posted by nsx
Thread title updated.

That's an amazingly generous free-for-all.

Can someone book a cheap trip now and take advantage of the free change, which seems to mean that payment of the fare difference will not be required, to get more desirable and more expensive flights that are only available in much higher fare classes?

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck

It could be the case by now that most of the *ungrounded* MAXs are currently flying in the USA/owned by USA carriers/parked in the USA.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Mike Rivers
For what it's worth, I have four flights on Southwest (two round trips, each with a plane change) booked at the end of this month. I got curious to see if any of them were scheduled on a 737-Max. According to FlightAware.com, one of the four uses that aircraft. It's the one that brings me home, so I hope it works. I chose Southwest for this trip specifically because the reason for making it may evaporate before my scheduled departure, and their generous change policy would allow me to bank the money and use it for a future flight, as opposed to a $100-$125 change/cancellation fee on United, Alaska, American, or Delta. It was my choice, and, hopefully, I'll live with it.

On the news here (after I posted this) that Southwest (in the app) is now allowing changes from Max flights, I checked my flights in the app and it didn't directly tell me that I could change the one that's affected. Maybe it's too far in advance (DAL-DCA April 2) for them to give away that store yet.
What $100-125 change fees? Don't you mean $150 or $200? For instance, the domestic change fee on DL had been $150 but it was raised to $200 a couple years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.