Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Free changes now! (was: Southwest refusing to accommodate people who afraid of MAX8)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free changes now! (was: Southwest refusing to accommodate people who afraid of MAX8)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Originally Posted by compddd
Does Delta operate any MAX aircraft?

no

Southwest and American

United flies Max 9
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
The Points Guy has a nice comprehensive article on MAXes, including how to tell at booking time on WN whether the flight you're choosing is scheduled to be on a MAX:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/737-ma...hiopian-crash/

As for boarding, the AT winglets (both top and bottom at the end of the wing) are probably the fastest way to spot a 737MAX. Here is an article with five ways to spot one:

https://www.avgeekery.com/five-ways-...om-older-737s/

Last edited by DenverBrian; Mar 11, 2019 at 6:14 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Although I am flying much less than in the past, I have 7 more flights in the next five weeks. I might just up my flight insurance.

Now, something more thought provoking. According to Flight Aware my flight yesterday from BNA to BWI was to be on a 737 Max 8. It was Flight #4832 , scheduled departure from BNA was 11:00 a.m. The flight arrived in Nashville but was delayed for maintenance issues. We got a replacement plane and left for BWI about 2.5 hours late. This delay was about 12 hours after the latest crash in Africa. Lots of coincidences here, but it could all be coincidental or maybe they were being extra safe.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA4832

Last edited by InkUnderNails; Mar 11, 2019 at 6:28 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Did you ultimately fly (late) on a MAX and did it have the expected tail number?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did you ultimately fly (late) on a MAX and did it have the expected tail number?
No. It was what appeared to be a brand new 800.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Old Hickory
CNN, according to some.
fake news.
mendezka likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
As for boarding, the AT winglets (both top and bottom at the end of the wing) are probably the fastest way to spot a 737MAX.
It looks very similar to the split scimitars on some older airplanes. The AT winglets extend to the wing's leading edge where the scimitar does not.

The serrated nacelle looks like a fast ID.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DCP2016
The FAA is paid off by Boeing, nothing will happen until one crashes here in the US by AA, UA, or WN.

If we were talking about the A320 NEO crashing, the FAA would have every single Airbus aircraft grounded.
Sadly I agree with you. If this had been an Airbus, Embraer, etc. (read - non USA manufacturer) I think that the FAA would probably have a stronger reaction.
ursine1, Airrage and DCP2016 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Sadly I agree with you. If this had been an Airbus, Embraer, etc. (read - non USA manufacturer) I think that the FAA would probably have a stronger reaction.
wearing a tin foil hat eh?
mendezka likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Given people's impressions that it isn't an issue because these are "third-world nations" and they don't know anything about safety, I guess the solution is to only allow "first-world nations" to fly the 737max.
Yeah it's a good solution, until one of the "first world nations" has a crash, probably doing more damage and loss due to the dense infrastructure surrounding first world airports and everyone is up-in-arms about why we didn't address this sooner when two "third world countries" had crashes.
mikesyr18 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SJWarrior
wearing a tin foil hat eh?
I'm not generally a tin foil hat guy, but given the circumstances worth thinking about, given the current US administration's generally protectionist policy bent along side Boeing's failed assault on the C series, I mean A220, as a way to try to stamp out domestic competition.
Airrage likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:15 pm

Unless there's overwhelming evidence that this latest crash was also caused by the MCAS system there is no chance that the FAA would ground the MAX. Their reasons for not doing so are just as politically motivated as China's were for grounding them. Both decisions were made quickly after the crash and in the absence of any real data.
krazykanuck, FTA, Airrage and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I haven't read the entire thread, but I'm totally on the side of letting people change flights. With two planes going down, this is a non-irrational fear and not something that could have been anticipated at the time of booking. This isn't a case where a pax says at the last minute "Oops, I wish I had booked something different." It's not really costing Southwest anything.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: none
I'm going with what I read on the social media internet and what's being hyped on cable news. Sounds like a good enough basis, for me at least, to make a life or death decision.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:56 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by mendezka
Also, if you do decide to cause a scene outside one of your 4 flights in the coming months. Could you let us know around what time you'll be doing so? I'm an aspiring viral video producer & would love to see the police reaction to your event!

Thanks,
Ive talked to Southwest and they are doing the right thing in my case and I have different flights with no fees or upfare

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.