Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Free changes now! (was: Southwest refusing to accommodate people who afraid of MAX8)

Free changes now! (was: Southwest refusing to accommodate people who afraid of MAX8)

Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
It's being reported on some other message boards that they are now allowing no-charge changes off the MAX (and that United has quietly grounded theirs). Can anyone confirm?
I just heard from an industry source (pilot) that WN, AA, and UA have just voluntarily grounded their MAX fleets. Cannot confirm independently.

EDIT 945pm ET: Obviously this was not publicly confirmed Monday.

Last edited by BearX220; Mar 11, 2019 at 7:42 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
People can disagree, but there are legitimate concerns about this aircraft. People shouldn't be forced to fly on it or forced to pay a penalty.
If there was a legitimate concern, then the FAA would have grounded the plane type.

But nobody is being forced to fly on any particular airfcraft [unless, perhaps, when a passenger is being deported!]. I have seen passengers being removed from flights, but I have never seen any passenger being forced onto a plane.
König and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by jackvogt
You should be grateful they aren't charging a change fee!
We should be grateful to them for adhering to their own T&Cs?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: SWA CP, UA MP, Hilton G, SPG G
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
We should be grateful to them for adhering to their own T&Cs?
i think it’s the standard LUV fanboy response whenever you Say something good about another airline, or something bad about Southwest, they have to reply with something about change fees.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
I wonder how many people at the gate could identify a MAX parked there if they saw one?
Previously very few, now probably everybody.
screeton likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:57 am
jmw

I have four flights in the next month on MAX. Southwest better let me change it or I will make sure everyone at the gate area know that the flight is 737MAX that's crashed twice in Asia. WN can't possibly let this go on. It's none of my concern that Boeing, Southwest, and the FAA look bad because the Chinese acted first. Whether the Chinese acted due to politics or genuine concern for passengers doesn't matter to me either. I don't want to fly on 737MAX anymore and I will not be charged extra for changing flights.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
From SW fleet stats, it appears that all of SW MAX8 planes have tail numbers starting with N87, as in N87xxx. Knowing nothing about how these numbers are assigned, I don't know whether other types of SW planes might also carry the same starting numbers. Of course, making a travel determination based on the tail number of the plane you are waiting to board is truly waiting until the last minute.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton
Originally Posted by BearX220
I just heard from an industry source (pilot) that WN, AA, and UA have just voluntarily grounded their MAX fleets. Cannot confirm independently.
This is 100% false. 3 clicks on FlightAware will show you that WN, AA, UA and many others have MAX planes in the air right now. https://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/B38M and https://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/B39M
wavid, nancypants and dfw88 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton
Originally Posted by jmw
I have four flights in the next month on MAX. Southwest better let me change it or I will make sure everyone at the gate area know that the flight is 737MAX that's crashed twice in Asia. WN can't possibly let this go on. It's none of my concern that Boeing, Southwest, and the FAA look bad because the Chinese acted first. Whether the Chinese acted due to politics or genuine concern for passengers doesn't matter to me either. I don't want to fly on 737MAX anymore and I will not be charged extra for changing flights.
You think you're going to blackmail Southwest into letting you change for free? If the flights are within the next month, then you have ample time to re-book your flight. There's also a greater than zero chance that one or more of your flights gets switched to a different model. Good luck with your plan though!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mctrees02
This is 100% false. 3 clicks on FlightAware will show you that WN, AA, UA and many others have MAX planes in the air right now. https://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/B38M and https://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/B39M
CNN was reporting this a couple hours ago: USA carriers have grounded the MAX, with WN having 31 such aircraft, AA 22, and UA 21 in their fleets. Maybe the grounding is effective tomorrow or perhaps they're being flown back to hubs or airports with suitable maintenance or even just lots of cheap parking space for aircraft.
BearX220 and GalaxyChris like this.

Originally Posted by jackvogt
I know AA grounded some of theirs to fix an issue with the overhead bins. The airlines can't really make a decision as to whether these aircraft are able to fly until the FAA or Boeing release more information about the recent (2) crashes.
AA did not ground any MAX aircraft. The 14 737s that are grounded are of the 737-800 variety.
nancypants likes this.
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jmw
OT, but when did Africa get annexed into Asia?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by jmw
Since when is Ethiopia in Asia?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond
According to FlightAware, WN has only cancelled 92 flights today.....

By this time on Saturday, they had already cancelled 143 flights.

They are actually running better today than Saturday...although they still have the highest number of flights cancelled in the US by far.

United has cancelled 6 flights today in comparison.

If they ground the 737Max, Southwest's existing 'operational issues' are going to compound.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by mctrees02
What do you want them to do, shoot them down? They can be taken out of service on arrival at next station, or at the end of their duty day. There is heavy pressure from US airline labor groups to follow China's lead.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.