Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Free changes now! (was: Southwest refusing to accommodate people who afraid of MAX8)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free changes now! (was: Southwest refusing to accommodate people who afraid of MAX8)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I’d fly in a Max plane, certainly. I might think twice about sending family members. The chances of a problem are rather miniscule. And now Boeing will be under great pressure to come up with a good solution.
How can they come up with a solution to an incident that does not have an identifiable cause. Event happend yesterday.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton
Originally Posted by geo979
Southwest should do what is right. At minimum, until the MAX is cleared they should limit passengers on the MAX to those people with Emotional Support Animals.
Now this is something I'm sure we can all get behind. ^
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
No. As discussed in the crash thread, Southwest is using 737-800s for currently scheduled Hawaii flights, but has announced that they will use 800's and MAX aircraft on those routes.
Wait, did Southwest get etops certification for the 737-800s?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Troopers
Wait, did Southwest get etops certification for the 737-800s?
Yes. All proving flights were with the 800 and all Hawaii flights are 800's at this time. I don't believe they have ETOPS for the max yet.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
CNN was reporting this a couple hours ago: USA carriers have grounded the MAX, with WN having 31 such aircraft, AA 22, and UA 21 in their fleets. Maybe the grounding is effective tomorrow or perhaps they're being flown back to hubs or airports with suitable maintenance or even just lots of cheap parking space for aircraft.
UA has 14 7M9 in their existing fleet

WN has 35 7M8 in their existing fleet.

AA has 24 7M8 in their existing fleet.

[Non-contributory remark deleted]

Originally Posted by Lizie
Previously very few, now probably everybody.
Folks will also mistaken 738s and 739s as Max.
kennycrudup and nancypants like this.

Last edited by ftnoob; Mar 12, 2019 at 11:01 pm Reason: As noted
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by MrMan
How can they come up with a solution to an incident that does not have an identifiable cause. Event happend yesterday.
The event happened a few months ago with LionAir.

It's too early to say whether Ethiopian is the same, however Boeing should have released a software update to address the Lion Air crash by now.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Folks will also mistaken 738s and 739s as Max.
The safety information cards in the seat back pockets on Southwest 800s and MAX aircraft are the same, and list both models in big type on the front, which doesn't exactly help differentiate the two.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by jmw
I have four flights in the next month on MAX. Southwest better let me change it or I will make sure everyone at the gate area know that the flight is 737MAX that's crashed twice in Asia. WN can't possibly let this go on. It's none of my concern that Boeing, Southwest, and the FAA look bad because the Chinese acted first. Whether the Chinese acted due to politics or genuine concern for passengers doesn't matter to me either. I don't want to fly on 737MAX anymore and I will not be charged extra for changing flights.
You can go on the website and change your flights with no charge. Just pay the fare sifference for the routing you want. This is allowed according to the terms and conditions of your purchase. Easy peasy.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:42 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by twitch76

You can go on the website and change your flights with no charge. Just pay the fare sifference for the routing you want. This is allowed according to the terms and conditions of your purchase. Easy peasy.
Why should I pay difference in fare for a flight due to a mechanical? As far as I'm concerned, the 737max is broken. I'm perfectly willing to stand pat if they swap the aircraft with a proven bird. Maybe WN will have to bump passengers due to reduced seats or not have enough planes due to the labor dispute, but that's not my problem.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
The FAA is paid off by Boeing, nothing will happen until one crashes here in the US by AA, UA, or WN.

If we were talking about the A320 NEO crashing, the FAA would have every single Airbus aircraft grounded.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ryw
The MAX is a new line or generation of the Boeing 737. There are currently 2 models in commercial service, the MAX 8 and MAX 9 (with the first MAX 7 I believe scheduled to be delivered later this year). WN only currently flies the MAX 8. It does not fly the MAX 7 yet, but has several ordered, which will likely be delivered later this year. (From a passenger perspective, the major difference is in passenger capacity - the MAX 7 has a couple fewer rows of seats than the MAX 8; the MAX 9 has a couple more).

The previous line was the 737 Next Gen, or 737 NG, and includes the 737-600/700/800/900. Of these, WN currently flies the 737-800 and 737-700.

The 737-800 and 737 MAX 8 are two different planes. However, WN has them configured to have the same number of seats, and sometimes swaps them for each other in IRROPS, mechanical delays, or other times when they need to swap out a plane.
Since WN doesn't assign seats, having aircraft types with different numbers of seats to swap with each other should be fine unless the sear numbers require an additional FA. Obviously they're going to avoid assign a new aircraft to a flight if doing so would cause an overbooking/oversale situation unless this cannot be avoided easily.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
CNN was reporting this a couple hours ago: USA carriers have grounded the MAX, with WN having 31 such aircraft, AA 22, and UA 21 in their fleets. Maybe the grounding is effective tomorrow or perhaps they're being flown back to hubs or airports with suitable maintenance or even just lots of cheap parking space for aircraft.
No, they didn't. No CNN reporting to that effect.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I’d fly in a Max plane, certainly. I might think twice about sending family members. The chances of a problem are rather miniscule. And now Boeing will be under great pressure to come up with a good solution.
Given people's impressions that it isn't an issue because these are "third-world nations" and they don't know anything about safety, I guess the solution is to only allow "first-world nations" to fly the 737max.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:50 pm
Suspended

I am unaware that any airline includes picking a specific aircraft as part of their COC. Apparenly United wants to do a charm offensive..which is fine for them considering they have a varied fleet.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LegalTender
No, they didn't. No CNN reporting to that effect.
That's what they said on CNN early this morning. Apparently the story has been corrected since then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.