Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

How to see which type of aircraft my Southwest flights will use? (737 MAX concerns)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to see which type of aircraft my Southwest flights will use? (737 MAX concerns)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
The "new design" places the engines in a different location which reportedly increases fuel efficiency and thus profits. Boeing design engineers obviously understood that some system would be needed to mitigate this center of gravity imbalance. Hopefully a safe fix can be developed, sooner than later. I share the concern of others about whether the US Government (FAA) in the present situation/administration is willing to gamble safety; once the preliminary findings from the latest crash black boxes are analyzed, we will find out.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: SWA CP, UA MP, Hilton G, SPG G
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
That is patently untrue. We do know that two planes of the same type crashed shortly after take off. It is up to people to make their own determinations as to whether or not to fly on this plane--WHILE we wait for the details to come out. Many people will take the less risky option of flying on a proven plane type rather than potentially being in the third crash in the middle of investigating what happened with the first two.
what was the position of the flaps?
was autopilot on?
what was their AOA?
was their a fire? An explosion?
eyewitness accounts say they saw smoke and debris BEFORE it crashes.

when does MCAS operate? Do you know? Flap position matters. You have ZERO clue if these events were the same thing.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
[QUOTE=darrenpb;30874544 Why did the manufacturer design a revision to the older "safe" 737 series, resulting in the Max series, that took the original "safe" design and made it "unsafe" by shifting the center of gravity to what sounds to me as an out of balance location, having to add an additional automated system to mitigate the decrease in safety? Why did the designer not redesign the aircraft to shift the center of gravity back to a "safe" location that did not require an automated system to keep the new "unsafe" Max8 design "safe"?[/QUOTE]

It would require an entire redesign - an entire new airplane - which would be hugely expensive ( and just would not have happened ). They took a significant part of the 737 and simply made the changes necessary to achieve their goal.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:26 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by darrenpb
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of that. Being an engineer, I am aware, as are all engineers, that designs are not always necessarily perfect and am trained to question them at times. This info leads me to the question: Why did the manufacturer design a revision to the older "safe" 737 series, resulting in the Max series, that took the original "safe" design and made it "unsafe" by shifting the center of gravity to what sounds to me as an out of balance location, having to add an additional automated system to mitigate the decrease in safety? Why did the designer not redesign the aircraft to shift the center of gravity back to a "safe" location that did not require an automated system to keep the new "unsafe" Max8 design "safe"? Would that then result in an aircraft that could no longer be considered a "737", thus requiring pilot training for a new aircraft, making it harder to sell? I don't know. I'm just asking questions.
The new, more efficient engines have a larger diameter. It doesn't fit under the wing in the same position as the smaller engine. Therefore the designers moved it forward to maintain ground clearance.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
The new, more efficient engines have a larger diameter. It doesn't fit under the wing in the same position as the smaller engine. Therefore the designers moved it forward to maintain ground clearance.
Stall recovery being possibly made worse by the engine nacelles forward of the CofG.
screeton likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: WN
Originally Posted by nsx
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Stall recovery being possibly made worse by the engine nacelles forward of the CofG.
So . . . It appears to me then that they traded safety for lower operating costs via a larger, more fuel efficient engine . . . . that doesn't fit properly on the existing aircraft design.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
So . . . It appears to me then that they traded safety for lower operating costs via a larger, more fuel efficient engine . . . . that doesn't fit properly on the existing aircraft design.
There we go.

We have the issue solved and done.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
There we go.

We have the issue solved and done.
​​​​​​No, lol, but we have the core issue identified.

This of course led to Boeing introducing a new automated system to correct for these issues. But not telling anyone that the system existed or requiring any new specific training in the new system. A system that only came to light after the first 100% fatal crash, which was (apparently) caused by it.

To solve the problem (according to the FAA) Boeing will need to update the software on all existing Max aircraft, and specify new training requirements. This will now be mandated by April.

Hope that clarifies things.
​​​
ryw likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Smile

No, they could not find an engineer who knew how to run a slide rule, the tool upon which the original 737 was designed.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: WN
Okay. Please correct me if I am wrong here. My conclusion is based on what I am reading on this board.

It appears that we have a new aircraft whose aerodynamics were purposely designed to be unstable/unsafe to some degree to accommodate an engine too big for the aircraft . . . that an electronic correction system was added to the aircraft to monitor and counteract problems arising from the aerodynamic instability of the aircraft during flight . . . . . .when the correction system is working properly . . . . that is potentially catastrophic when it malfunctions.
joshua362 and screeton like this.

Last edited by darrenpb; Mar 11, 2019 at 9:04 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:09 pm

1. It's called a 737 MAX 8, there is no such thing as an 800 MAX

2. Plug your flight number in flightradar24, within a day or two of the flight is has the actual tail number assigned and updates pretty frequently. It's the best source outside of SWA.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Ditka

the problem is we don’t know anything. People are driving on fear, not information. They don’t know what MCAS is, how it works, what are the requirements for it to work etc. they’re making unfounded assumptions and speculation.
Despite that, if people want to make choices based on ignorance of information (or reaction to the lack thereof), they still have the right to make that choice.

Originally Posted by screeton
...center of gravity imbalance...
The center of gravity does not have to be balanced. Ideally a balanced CoG would improve handling characteristics, but aircraft can and do fly with the CofG imbalanced, and it's not unsafe. Some aircraft are designed this way. For example, the CRJ family all have the center of gravity in front of the wings (nose heavy). On flights that aren't full, passengers may be asked to move rearward so that the captain could have better handling characteristics while in the air. But, the aircraft needs to be designed to fly on an imbalanced center of gravity in order to be efficient while doing so. Cargo versions of aircraft for example, are designed to have their center of gravity closest to balanced. The cargo versions of the A330 have a hump where the nose gear used to be because the plane was originally nose heavy. They put the hump there to level out the aircraft so that the center of gravity is balanced at takeoff, and so that they're not going uphill when loading the aircraft.

It appears that we have a new aircraft whose aerodynamics were purposely designed to be unstable/unsafe to some degree to accommodate an engine too big for the aircraft . . . that an electronic correction system was added to the aircraft to monitor and counteract problems arising from the aerodynamic instability of the aircraft during flight . . . . . .when the correction system is working properly . . . . that is potentially catastrophic when it malfunctions.
The correction system was not to correct unstable aerodynamics. The aerodynamics are probably not unstable. The handling quality of the aircraft has changed from the previous models of the 737. A captain who is proficient at hand flying a 737-800, attempting to fly the MAX8 the same way, would pitch the nose up due to the change in center of gravity. The MCAS exists so that if the captain doesn't notice or understand why the nose pitched up when it should be business as usual, the system would put the nose down before the plane stalls. This system appears to be the one that malfunctioned on the Lion Air flight.

Now if you want to see a correction system that corrects unstable aerodynamics, look at the 787. They have a correction system that's active at all times to mitigate wing flutter due to the wings' flexibility.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by diburning; Mar 11, 2019 at 11:33 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by 737MAX8
1. It's called a 737 MAX 8
Actually it’s called a liability by many at this point.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:45 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
EASA just banned the 7M8 from the entire european airspace, now it just got real. 7M8 is toast.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
With the European Union grounding the MAX8, it seems inevitable that the entire fleet will soon be grounded, as well it should. Southwest could have led the carriers in this country in this regard and gotten good publicity by publicizing a corporate decision to err on the side of absolute passenger safety. I wasn't flying SWA back then, but wonder if this would have this have been handled differently in Herb days?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.