Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

How to see which type of aircraft my Southwest flights will use? (737 MAX concerns)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to see which type of aircraft my Southwest flights will use? (737 MAX concerns)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
If Southwest erred on the side of passenger safety, they wouldn't taxi as fast as they do, and they wouldn't try to operate in inclement weather conditions that have caused many incidents in the past, from sliding off the runway, to a collapsed nose gear, to overrunning the runway. Not to mention Southwest's historical bare-minimum maintenance that caused them to get fined by the FAA as well as that incident with the un-contained engine failure due to a longer than average maintenance inspection cycle.

It's all about costs, and the risk vs reward. I'd imagine Southwest will keep flying them until told not to do so by the FAA or Boeing, or until an upgrade/fix is mandated.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by darrenpb
It appears Southwest is attempting to accommodate passengers that have concerns about flying on the Max8 planes. I'm not sure whether or not they are charging the fare differences for the rebooked flights.

It's only for a week, they won't reschedule if it's beyond that. We have a flight in April that I called to move it to a different plane yesterday and they wouldn't let us without a refare cost.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: Southwest Hilton Diamond
Mix of SW, Air Canada, and AA mostly.......
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: WN
11 hours later

737 MAX8, hours after FAA grounds them

Last edited by darrenpb; Mar 13, 2019 at 8:39 pm
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Is there a way to see hiatoric data?

For instance, I flew SMF-SAN (#4333) on Sunday, Feb 17. I must have been on either an 800 or a MAX8. Curious if there was a way to see what I flew.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: WN
Originally Posted by twitch76
Is there a way to see hiatoric data?

For instance, I flew SMF-SAN (#4333) on Sunday, Feb 17. I must have been on either an 800 or a MAX8. Curious if there was a way to see what I flew.
Flightaware.com has historic info. I checked. There was no southwest flight 4333 on Feb 17th and no flight 4333 ever during the past 3 months between SMF-SAN.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by darrenpb
Flightaware.com has historic info. I checked. There was no southwest flight 4333 on Feb 17th and no flight 4333 ever during the past 3 months between SMF-SAN.
Ha. That’s funny.

i wonder what flight I was on. I switched (using a-list standby) to that flight from a later flight. Then the fight I was confirmed onto got delayed 45 minutes (or so) because they gave our bird to a much-longer delayed SMF-LGB flight. The flight I was on was the next to last flight of the night. I thought it was #4333 because that was the number I gave the social media team when asking if there had been a CS gesture for the delay.

Thanks for checking! Sorry I gave the wrong number... not sure how to find it now.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by twitch76

Ha. That’s funny.

i wonder what flight I was on. I switched (using a-list standby) to that flight from a later flight. Then the fight I was confirmed onto got delayed 45 minutes (or so) because they gave our bird to a much-longer delayed SMF-LGB flight. The flight I was on was the next to last flight of the night. I thought it was #4333 because that was the number I gave the social media team when asking if there had been a CS gesture for the delay.

Thanks for checking! Sorry I gave the wrong number... not sure how to find it now.
Flight #4443 on 2/17 from SMF-SAN was operated by N8729H, a 737 MAX 8.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by 737MAX8
Flight #4443 on 2/17 from SMF-SAN was operated by N8729H, a 737 MAX 8.
Thanks so much!
Old Aug 7, 2023, 7:16 pm

Of course it is the safest airplane in the world according to Boeing and Southwest.

Originally Posted by Ditka
The Max8 is safe. You have better trained and experienced pilots flying it. No need for hysterics. Or to be rude on the internet when you’re asking people for help.

FALSE. Be nice. Jeez
That’s what the public was told after the first crash. The well trained pilot in the second crash followed the exact procedures. My family is boycotting this plane and we feel that we have the right

Last edited by ftnoob; Aug 13, 2023 at 11:27 am Reason: Move member's text into body of post (from "Reason for Editing" field)
Old Aug 7, 2023, 7:28 pm

Southwest hides the aircraft information

Southwest doesn’t want passengers to know if they are booked a MAX flight. They will show the aircraft type after booking and if you cancel 3 minutes later it’s “sorry, the booking was nonrefundable”
When we complained they told us the myth that the aircraft type can be seen after clicking the flight number- the problem is that nothing happens when clicking the flight number, not on the app nor on the website. Maybe it’s possible on a PC but most passengers in these days use IPhones or tablets. We complained years ago and nothing has changed, they know that most passengers don’t want to sit on a MAX, so they don’t tell them until after their nonrefundable booking.

Last edited by ftnoob; Aug 13, 2023 at 11:43 am Reason: Remove quote of (now deleted) post with no content
Old Aug 7, 2023, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by flyhi152
Southwest doesn’t want passengers to know if they are booked a MAX flight. They will show the aircraft type after booking and if you cancel 3 minutes later it’s “sorry, the booking was nonrefundable”
Southwest gives a full refund to your original form of payment if you cancel within 24 hours of booking, not just 3 minutes
jjbiv likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 8:30 pm

Southwest doesn’t want passengers to know if they are booked a MAX flight. They will show the aircraft type after booking and if you cancel 3 minutes later it’s “sorry, the booking was nonrefundable”.
This is absolutely false and should be deleted so other forum visitors aren't misinformed.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 8:34 pm

most passengers don’t want to sit on a MAX
Do you have anything to back this up, or are you just making stuff up?
screeton likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 8:45 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
MAX8 is quieter and is my favorite of Southwest's fleet. The A320 has wider coach seats and is superb with jetBlue's seat pitch. Any US mainline jet is far safer than driving. Especially the way I drive,
jjbiv and steved5480 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.