Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

How to see which type of aircraft my Southwest flights will use? (737 MAX concerns)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to see which type of aircraft my Southwest flights will use? (737 MAX concerns)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Could we at least wait until the investigation in the Ethiopian crash points to the MCAS system that was in cause in the Lion Air crash before we all become experts in aircraft manufacturing, certification and operations?
You know, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to note that the two crashes are eerily similar:
1. Take off.
2. Gain altitude.
3. Lose altitude, then gain, then lose, then gain.
4. Nosedive and crash.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these are undisputed facts. Isn't that enough to want to avoid the plane for awhile, until we know for sure?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: SWA CP, UA MP, Hilton G, SPG G
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
You know, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to note that the two crashes are eerily similar:
1. Take off.
2. Gain altitude.
4. Nosedive and crash.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these are undisputed facts. Isn't that enough to want to avoid the plane for awhile, until we know for sure?
wow! You should apply for a job at the NTSB!
did they both have autopilot on? What was the position of the flaps? Did you know if the flaps are down then MCAS is off?
We don’t know anything.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:48 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
1. Take off.
2. Gain altitude.
4. Nosedive and crash.

Didn't want to get into the specifics as I am not a pilot but pilots discussing the incident here (https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/...wn-africa.html) point out that the Ethiopian flight was not in a regime (AP mode, climb rate, speed, etc.) where the MCAS system involved in the Lion Air crash would be functioning. So no, those are not undisputed. Nothing is known until the investigation takes its course. I know that is anathema in the age of instant 'information' on social networks but that is how it goes.

As for China grounding the fleet, until the FAA and EASA do it, this is as much about Huawei and trade wars as flight safety.

Don't get me wrong, I have concerns about using the original 737 type certification and modifying it until you get to a 7M8 that is not really the same airplane as decades ago. I also work in machine learning and know that you can't do statistics with two events and extrapolate, no matter how alike they seem until I have all the data.

But the choice is yours of course, not trying to change anyone's mind.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ditka

wow! You should apply for a job at the NTSB!
did they both have autopilot on? What was the position of the flaps? Did you know if the flaps are down then MCAS is off?
We don’t know anything.
But what we do know makes people think the risk of flying that particular model is higher.
Risk assessment is about gauging the unknown. It may still be negligible enough for ntsb/faa not to take any action but it is definitely higher than two days ago.
Some believe you should only buy "certified organic" some you should not fly 737max
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: SWA CP, UA MP, Hilton G, SPG G
Originally Posted by azepine00
But what we do know makes people think the risk of flying that particular model is higher
the problem is we don’t know anything. People are driving on fear, not information. They don’t know what MCAS is, how it works, what are the requirements for it to work etc. they’re making unfounded assumptions and speculation.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
1. Take off.
2. Gain altitude.
4. Nosedive and crash.
I've been on flights that have done three out of the four. I suppose I'm just playing the odds....
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I will play it safe and book away from the MAX until it is demonstrably safe. The sooner the better. So long as the investigation is thorough.
net222 and flying_geek like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
I will play it safe and book away from the MAX until it is demonstrably safe. The sooner the better. So long as the investigation is thorough.
Same here - I will avoid the aircraft as much as I can till we have more information.
net222 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Could we at least wait until the investigation in the Ethiopian crash points to the MCAS system that was in cause in the Lion Air crash before we all become experts in aircraft manufacturing, certification and operations?
So wait until 2022 or so?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: WN
I do not know the exact reasons why they crashed and am not an expert in aircraft manufacturing, certification, operations and crash investigations, but what I do know is that two new Max8 planes crashed within a relatively short period of time and that rather than wait until the experts complete their investigations and tell me the plane is UNSAFE to fly before I stop flying in them, I am going to wait for the experts to complete their investigations and tell me the planes are SAFE to fly before I resume flying in them again. . . . . . even if it takes until 2022.
net222 and flying_geek like this.

Last edited by darrenpb; Mar 11, 2019 at 12:42 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:43 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by darrenpb
BTW, I'm done flying MAX8 planes until they address the AutoTrim issue like maybe disengaging it permanently. Older model 737's have been safely flying for years without an AutoTrim feature that the MAX8 version has.
Autotrim is needed. The plane has a different center of gravity than earlier models and would be unsafe without automation. Lion Air showed us that the system needs to be more foolproof, with backup information sources. Relying on pilots to act properly when the system failed was not sufficient. If the Ethiopian pilots failed to act properly after having been informed in detail post-Lion Air, then human pilots need to be bypassed entirely for this function. But you cannot dispense with the function.
MSPeconomist and ursine1 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:08 pm

It appears Southwest is attempting to accommodate passengers that have concerns about flying on the Max8 planes. I'm not sure whether or not they are charging the fare differences for the rebooked flights.

Last edited by darrenpb; Mar 11, 2019 at 1:17 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Autotrim is needed. The plane has a different center of gravity than earlier models and would be unsafe without automation. Lion Air showed us that the system needs to be more foolproof, with backup information sources. Relying on pilots to act properly when the system failed was not sufficient. If the Ethiopian pilots failed to act properly after having been informed in detail post-Lion Air, then human pilots need to be bypassed entirely for this function. But you cannot dispense with the function.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of that. Being an engineer, I am aware, as are all engineers, that designs are not always necessarily perfect and am trained to question them at times. This info leads me to the question: Why did the manufacturer design a revision to the older "safe" 737 series, resulting in the Max series, that took the original "safe" design and made it "unsafe" by shifting the center of gravity to what sounds to me as an out of balance location, having to add an additional automated system to mitigate the decrease in safety? Why did the designer not redesign the aircraft to shift the center of gravity back to a "safe" location that did not require an automated system to keep the new "unsafe" Max8 design "safe"? Would that then result in an aircraft that could no longer be considered a "737", thus requiring pilot training for a new aircraft, making it harder to sell? I don't know. I'm just asking questions.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by darrenpb
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of that. Being an engineer, I am aware, as are all engineers, that designs are not always necessarily perfect and am trained to question them at times. This info leads me to the question: Why did the manufacturer design a revision to the older "safe" 737 series, resulting in the Max series, that took the original "safe" design and made it "unsafe" by shifting the center of gravity to what sounds to me as an out of balance location, having to add an additional automated system to mitigate the decrease in safety? Why did the designer not redesign the aircraft to shift the center of gravity back to a "safe" location that did not require an automated system to keep the new "unsafe" Max8 design "safe"? Would that then result in an aircraft that could no longer be considered a "737", thus requiring pilot training for a new aircraft, making it harder to sell? I don't know. I'm just asking questions.
Time and therefore cost.
ryw likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Ditka

The problem is we don’t know anything.

That is patently untrue. We do know that two planes of the same type crashed shortly after take off. It is up to people to make their own determinations as to whether or not to fly on this plane--WHILE we wait for the details to come out. Many people will take the less risky option of flying on a proven plane type rather than potentially being in the third crash in the middle of investigating what happened with the first two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.