Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Who booked SWA Inaugural flight to HNL - 3/18 #0808

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who booked SWA Inaugural flight to HNL - 3/18 #0808

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:27 am

Flight 6808 OAK-HNL was a blast. Felt like a party with a great buzz. Hardly used my phone since we were all talking and having fun during the flight. Did do some messaging on fb and instagram and tv worked well. Loved the new pineapple-orange with spiced rum, had a couple. Was loaded up with giveaways on both ends of the flight. The dancers were a nice touch and fun announcements from WN leaders and great job by the crew.

Flight 6569 from HNL-OAK today was very quick, smooth, and more low key. WN still had live music and dance at the gate, did trivia, gave us gift bags with different content, and did gave leis again. Boarding outside in HNL was awesome. Got amazing pictures of the wing and Oahu on take off. Wifi was blazing fast the entire return flight, I had no issues. I sent and uploaded a lot of pictures and browsed SM the whole flight.

Great job on the launch Southwest!!!
worldwidedreamer likes this.

Last edited by 737MAX8; Mar 20, 2019 at 1:26 pm
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:07 am

Congrats to the first flyers! Must have been lots of fun. Question: does the WiFi work over the Pacific Ocean (a satellite system)?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: SWA CP, HH DIAMOND
WiFi over the pacific

SWA truly has gate to gate including entire flight over the pacific; however it was spotty at times.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
Having flown the last ~28 new city openings on the Southwest first day of service I would predict: posters, photo booth, Hawaiian entertainment/band at gate plus possible in flight. Maybe a hat, snorkel, flip flops, HNL coupon book at each seat. Some flight voucher giveaways, trivia. Snack trays/catering pre departure and at arrival.

Not Oprah show ($$$) giveaways but still a plane full of likely even 1/3 splits of happy employees, happy customers, and media/reporters.
Do you look up the opening of new routes, and then fly to a city just to fly the maiden flight? Do you stick around for a vacation or just fly right back? I hate flying, so I can't imagine going out of my way to take a flight just for the flight lol
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by jeffro1975
SWA truly has gate to gate including entire flight over the pacific; however it was spotty at times.

​​​​​​Thanks, I'd been curious about that.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:28 pm

I used social media and TV for the entire duration of my flights. Honestly the 4-5 hours flew by.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by oreocookies
Do you look up the opening of new routes, and then fly to a city just to fly the maiden flight? Do you stick around for a vacation or just fly right back? I hate flying, so I can't imagine going out of my way to take a flight just for the flight lol
We position the night before if required. We stay overnight maybe 60% of the time, flying right back on same flight works ok for domestic but can be difficult on international flights.

Some of us only relax when flying (or at airport lounges)

//"Last year, I spent 322 days on the road, which means I had to spend 43 miserable days at home." -Up in the Air, 2009
joshua362 and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by 737MAX8
I used social media and TV for the entire duration of my flights. Honestly the 4-5 hours flew by.
Was live TV available the entire flight?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by mdword
​​​​​​Thanks, I'd been curious about that.
For what it is worth, my wife flew OAK-HNL on Friday and had quite fast wifi the entire flight. Remember: the system was not designed to handle 1/2 of passengers having A+ status.

Also of note: on her return HNL-OAK the agent at the United Club (closest lounge to WN HNL gates) said that she thought my wife might well have been the first Southwest passenger who had used the lounge with a WN boarding pass. Anyone else earlier? (Would be nice bragging points for the Mrs.)
steved5480 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Was live TV available the entire flight?
Every time I checked live TV was working well

I didn't keep watching too long as I was busy texting ex girlfriends and stuff haha.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by 737MAX8
Every time I checked live TV was working well

I didn't keep watching too long as I was busy texting ex girlfriends and stuff haha.
Very cool. Didn't know DISH had that capability over the ocean.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Didn't know DISH had that capability over the ocean.
I don't think they do; the Echostar footprint stops about 100 miles offshore. Live TV over the Pacific appears to be streaming video with a lot of artifacts and a couple of blank screens. Very acceptable for the price charged!

Perhaps Dish re-transmits their channels to the WiFi satellite provider. Is it still Row 44?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.