Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Who booked SWA Inaugural flight to HNL - 3/18 #0808

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who booked SWA Inaugural flight to HNL - 3/18 #0808

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA CP, HH DIAMOND
yay! I finally found an open seat on 2864/6808 DAL>OAK>HNL to switch to Sunday 3/17! i'll be part of the party now!!
expert7700 and bitterproffit like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by jeffro1975
yay! I finally found an open seat on 2864/6808 DAL>OAK>HNL to switch to Sunday 3/17! i'll be part of the party now!!
Lucky! A few seats were released today, but it is now completely booked. The only chance for someone to scoop in will be if there is a cancellation.
jeffro1975 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jeffro1975
Awesome news!!

Yesterday around 4 PST I found two more seats for sale on 3/17 to HNL and was able to book one for a friend.

Today he said he may not be able to get the time off of work. I will wait to cancel until he is certain but if so I would be happy to coordinate the cancellation with another FTer as it should open a seat back up for sale....
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: Aloha Airlines Ali'i Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by 737MAX8
Lucky! A few seats were released today, but it is now completely booked. The only chance for someone to scoop in will be if there is a cancellation.
I was checking religiously every hour or so and snagged a seat yesterday on 3/17 WN6808. I was originally booked on 3/18 HNL-OAK. Now I have to find a flight to OAK from HNL on 3/16.

As a former Aloha Airlines employee and fanboy I am VERY excited to finally welcome SWA to Hawai'i. The first flight being from OAK is perfect since Aloha was the pioneer of 737s between the West Coast and Hawai'i and HNL-OAK was their first route.

I have already booked OGG-HNL-OGG-HNL on 4/28. 737s flying interisland again is a dream come true!!

-Aloha!
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
Serve up some bags of Macadamia nuts in SWA packaging and pineapples!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:25 pm

Seats Available:

Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:55 pm

Or go Monday for $159

And come back on WED for $119:

ryw likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:45 pm

I was just able to book a ticket for $424.

I'd have to turn right back around a take a redeye back to SF-- any POV on if this is worth that amount of cash from those who have done it before?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Eric Snyder
I was just able to book a ticket for $424.

I'd have to turn right back around a take a redeye back to SF-- any POV on if this is worth that amount of cash from those who have done it before?
Well worth it in my book, there will only ever be one inaugural WN ETOPS flight to Hawaii.

I bought at a similar price and was able to refare lower over the last few days of watching price/availability...

Bummer on the immediate turn, especially since hotels are cheap(ish) on Sunday, and the 3/18 WN flight back to OAK is still selling cheap.

I *AM* very concerned about our group of 5 taking our connecting flight into OAK this Sunday. Not scheduled as a 737MAX but.... It is an early 6am time, presumably very lightly booked fight.... PRIME target for WN to cancel for operational reasons and move people to the next flight a few hours later (that will miss HNL).

If it were any other carrier I'd switch to Sat. PM and pay for an OAK hotel. But Southwest can't handle an overnight connection.... Sure I could ask CS to drop the first leg, but then I'd be liable for full fare tickets $300each for the first leg a day before. Not to mention that OAK-HNL would have been $50 cheaper a ticket than what the connection I bought.

Last edited by expert7700; Mar 13, 2019 at 8:29 pm
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:42 am
Suspended

Wasn't WN going to use MAX8's on this route?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
Well worth it in my book, there will only ever be one inaugural WN ETOPS flight to Hawaii.

I bought at a similar price and was able to refare lower over the last few days of watching price/availability...

Bummer on the immediate turn, especially since hotels are cheap(ish) on Sunday, and the 3/18 WN flight back to OAK is still selling cheap.

I *AM* very concerned about our group of 5 taking our connecting flight into OAK this Sunday. Not scheduled as a 737MAX but.... It is an early 6am time, presumably very lightly booked fight.... PRIME target for WN to cancel for operational reasons and move people to the next flight a few hours later (that will miss HNL).

If it were any other carrier I'd switch to Sat. PM and pay for an OAK hotel. But Southwest can't handle an overnight connection.... Sure I could ask CS to drop the first leg, but then I'd be liable for full fare tickets $300each for the first leg a day before. Not to mention that OAK-HNL would have been $50 cheaper a ticket than what the connection I bought.
Where are you connecting from? I promise nothing I have seen this weekend resembles lightly booked.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Betterthanyou
Wasn't WN going to use MAX8's on this route?
WN has stated from the very beginning the route would be launched with the 737-800 and later changed to the 737 MAX 8.

I personally believe this MAX issue will be solved before WN would have made the switch anyways.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by 737MAX8
Where are you connecting from? I promise nothing I have seen this weekend resembles lightly booked.
Coming from LAS on WN3075 3/17 655am

If las-oak delays or cancels ahead of time, the 5 of us (2 in our group have no Alist status) would have to luck out and find sests on the earlier las-sfo flight, then uber to OAK.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
Coming from LAS on WN3075 3/17 655am

If las-oak delays or cancels ahead of time, the 5 of us (2 in our group have no Alist status) would have to luck out and find sests on the earlier las-sfo flight, then uber to OAK.
It's going to be a full flight, so it won't be canceled due to being an easy choice from loads.

That being said, I'm pretty sure if you call, they could change your first leg to Saturday night.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:23 am

Just landed OAK!

Passed the following in row... Hawiian Airlines, Alaska Airlines in special Hawaii livery, THEN the fun one:

Southwest N8329B ETOPS

//was glad to see we have a spare/backup ETOPS aircraft N8327A at the right next to us. Southwest may have learned from the embarassing MAX Dallas triangle launch flight with Gary Kelly onboard.

If any FTers are joining in please say hi. I'm wearing a blue Hawaiian shirt with Southwest Tshirt, with my wife and 10yr old also wearing Southwest swag.

Talked to one if their Captains who flew the test flights. Very interesting conversation. He had the decompression event on the way to OGG, had to descend to 10k feet and divert to Hilo. It was a "surprise" but one of several scenarios they had worked through correctly on the table top exercises. (for avgeek the others included medical, lithium fire, bom...err... aircraft threat)

Southweet has only 4 ETOPS certified check pilots now. Whwn we land they will have 6 (Today and tomorrow one will fly to HNL to observe two and certify two additional pilots).
worldwidedreamer and ryw like this.

Last edited by expert7700; Mar 17, 2019 at 12:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.