Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hawaii ticket sales start: $49 OAK, $29 interisland

Hawaii ticket sales start: $49 OAK, $29 interisland

    Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 17, 19, 6:41 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: DenverBrian
Wiki Link
Thought it would be fun to include the schedules for quick viewing here. Feel free to update as appropriate.

TO Hawaii:
WN808, OAK-HNL, 8:30AM-11:05AM
WN1456, OAK-HNL, 5:40PM-8:10PM
WN1474, OAK-OGG, 10:30AM-12:55PM
WN548, OAK-OGG, 5:40PM-7:55PM
WN538, SJC-HNL, 10:55AM-1:35PM
WN862, SJC-OGG, 12:40PM-3:05PM

FROM Hawaii:
WN1046, HNL-OAK, 9:30AM-5:45PM
WN1688, HNL-OAK, 3:30PM-11:50PM
WN4452, OGG-OAK, 9:15AM-5:20PM
WN588, OGG-OAK, 4:50PM-12:50AM+1
WN4587, HNL-SJC, 12:40PM-8:55PM
WN1475, OGG-SJC, 2:40PM-10:30PM

Interisland:
(Starts April 28 2019)
WN872, HNL-OGG, 7:00AM-7:45AM
WN874, HNL-OGG, 10:00AM-10:50AM
WN1792, HNL-OGG, 4:05PM-4:55PM
WN1459, HNL-OGG, 7:00PM-7:50PM

WN873, OGG-HNL, 8:30AM-9:15AM
WN875, OGG-HNL, 11:35AM-12:20PM
WN1791, OGG-HNL, 2:20PM-3:10PM
WN1793, OGG-HNL, 5:45PM-6:30PM

(Starts May 12 2019)
WN1503, HNL-KOA, 8:15AM-9:10AM
WN1457, HNL-KOA, 11:55AM-12:50PM
WN1471, HNL-KOA, 3:25PM-4:20PM
WN1794, HNL-KOA, 7:15PM-8:10PM

WN1039, KOA-HNL, 7:00AM-7:45AM
WN1504, KOA-HNL, 10:00AM-10:55AM
WN1458, KOA-HNL, 1:35PM-2:35PM
WN1470, KOA-HNL, 5:15PM-6:10PM
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Mar 4, 19, 11:18 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Blue Ridge, GA
Posts: 4,182
Originally Posted by azj View Post
Hawaiian will end up offering more cheap seats in the market than Southwest.
Then why is HA stock down 10% today?
steved5480 likes this.
LegalTender is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 19, 11:25 am
  #32  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: SAT
Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum; UA Gold MM; IHG Spire Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Posts: 23,527
WN needs to start flying redeyes from Hawaii to California, both for better aircraft utilization and to facilitate connections to points further east.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
SAT Lawyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 19, 11:25 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Programs: SWA CP, UA MP, Hilton G, SPG G
Posts: 69
itís got to do with the long term effects of competition thereís a finite number of seats. When another party jumps to the table, everyone else gets less pizza. BTW, LUV is down too.
Ditka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 19, 11:25 am
  #34  
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: California
Programs: WN CP & A-list preferred, just another shafted United Club Lifetime Member, Hotwire, Priceline, tent
Posts: 19,434
I almost made a rookie error. I delayed booking the companion tickets for an hour. I must have gotten one of the last seats, because one direction is completely sold out on a post-booking fare check. Whew! The direction that's not sold out is $100 more than what I paid. This is almost as crazy at tickets to a hot concert.
nsx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 19, 11:33 am
  #35  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Posts: 1,677
By the time I got 1 seat, the companion seats were sold out.
sggolf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 19, 11:44 am
  #36  
azj
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,464
Originally Posted by LegalTender View Post
Then why is HA stock down 10% today?
The stock is down, along with the rest of the sector because of speculation as to how this news will affect the other carriers. The point remains... when Southwest sells out of their artificially low and unrealistic fares, their two other fare categories are significantly higher than Hawaiian's lowest fares. Since Hawaiian offers roughly 175 flights/day within the market, with practically hourly and sometimes 3-4 times/hr service there will be more cheap seats offered by HAL than Southwest. And this is without HAL even lowering fares. The Hawaiian fare gouging is a fallacy.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
azj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 19, 11:49 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SEA
Programs: HH Silver
Posts: 2,226
Originally Posted by azj View Post
The stock is down, along with the rest of the sector because of speculation as to how this news will affect the other carriers. The point remains... when Southwest sells out of their artificially low and unrealistic fares, their two other fare categories are significantly higher than Hawaiian's lowest fares. Since Hawaiian offers roughly 175 flights/day within the market, with practically hourly and sometimes 3-4 times/hr service there will be more cheap seats offered by HAL than Southwest. And this is without HAL even lowering fares. The Hawaiian fare gouging is a fallacy.
Just curious, how do you know what the fares will be when the "artificially low" rates sell out. I have looked at tons of dates using 8 passengers, trying to find what the rates will go up to, and still the most expensive flight I can find is $59. The least expensive I can find on HA is $79.
tatterdema is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 19, 11:54 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Blue Ridge, GA
Posts: 4,182
Originally Posted by azj View Post
The stock is down, along with the rest of the sector because of speculation as to how this news will affect the other carriers. The point remains... when Southwest sells out of their artificially low and unrealistic fares, their two other fare categories are significantly higher than Hawaiian's lowest fares. Since Hawaiian offers roughly 175 flights/day within the market, with practically hourly and sometimes 3-4 times/hr service there will be more cheap seats offered by HAL than Southwest. And this is without HAL even lowering fares. The Hawaiian fare gouging is a fallacy.
Investors clearly aren't that smart.

Of course SWA can fully allocate 175 of its seats for the majority of its inter-island flights against Hawaiian's 128-seat 717s.
LegalTender is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 19, 11:56 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond *Wood Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 368
Originally Posted by diver858 View Post
Unfortunate - Appears Hawaiian has not (yet) responded; traveling HNL-OGG during the first week in April, will spend the extra $$ for a reserved, preferred seat.

Appears initial service is limited to OAK-HNL, no SAN nonstops for early April, no availability to OGG, KOA. Cost of connecting return flight (HNL-OAK-SAN) is more expensive than AS nonstop, where I was able to instantly upgrade to first class.

WN may be holding back on its big promotional splash until there is a sufficient level of service to meet the anticipated demand.

Can't find anything direct from SAN on any future date, only OAK and the 2 from SJC. I'm hopeful they roll out non stop from SAN and cities other than OAK and SJC.

I'm also hopeful that this is the situation that gets Southwest to change their policy on single ticket bookings with long layovers. Having to book multiple reservations because your first flight arrives late in the evening and the next flight is early the next morning is getting old, and in some cases expensive.
WestCoastFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 19, 11:59 am
  #40  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MCI
Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LTPP, HH Diamond
Posts: 46,048
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
This is almost as crazy at tickets to a hot concert.
This.

Tons of flights that were $99 this morning are 100% sold out now. Whole weeks of OAK-HNL are sold out. I didn't look at every citypair but I'm guessing the result is the same on all routes.
ryw likes this.
pinniped is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 19, 12:00 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SFO
Posts: 2,632
Originally Posted by tatterdema View Post
Wow. Those $29 inter island fares are definitely a game changer. For the cost of just checking a bag on Hawaiian you get the flight and 2 bags on Southwest. Great for locals. I was really suprised there are that many flights per day between HNL and KOA. I can see a lot of Big Island locals heading to the city for the day, or even using them as a courier service.
I understand that locals tend to book "last-minute". The $29 WGA inter-island fares will be gone by then. The Anytime and BS fares are priced higher than HAL. Thus, I don't think WN will be capturing the local market.
Troopers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 19, 12:02 pm
  #42  
azj
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,464
Originally Posted by tatterdema View Post
Just curious, how do you know what the fares will be when the "artificially low" rates sell out. I have looked at tons of dates using 8 passengers, trying to find what the rates will go up to, and still the most expensive flight I can find is $59. The least expensive I can find on HA is $79.
We might be coming at this from different angles, but what I'm seeing is plain as day on the website, there are 3 fare options. When the cheapest one is sold out, one will only have the more expensive fares, which are both higher than HAL. Only Southwest and their revenue management system knows how many seats are available at the lowest fares.
azj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 19, 12:02 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SFO
Posts: 2,632
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
Tons of flights that were $99 this morning are 100% sold out now. Whole weeks of OAK-HNL are sold out. I didn't look at every citypair but I'm guessing the result is the same on all routes.
This is interesting as the Anytime and BS fares were ~$600 one way. Something else must be going on here.
Troopers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 19, 12:11 pm
  #44  
azj
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,464
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
This.

Tons of flights that were $99 this morning are 100% sold out now. Whole weeks of OAK-HNL are sold out. I didn't look at every citypair but I'm guessing the result is the same on all routes.
Originally Posted by Troopers View Post
This is interesting as the Anytime and BS fares were ~$600 one way. Something else must be going on here.
This proves my point. When the intro fares are gone, Southwest isn't the cheaper option.
bbbb likes this.
azj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 19, 12:13 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SEA
Programs: HH Silver
Posts: 2,226
Originally Posted by azj View Post
We might be coming at this from different angles, but what I'm seeing is plain as day on the website, there are 3 fare options. When the cheapest one is sold out, one will only have the more expensive fares, which are both higher than HAL. Only Southwest and their revenue management system knows how many seats are available at the lowest fares.
I have never understood WN to work this way though. Usually the Wanna Getaway fare just goes up, not goes away. That is like comparing apples to oranges comparing the different fare classes to HA.
LegalTender likes this.
tatterdema is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread