Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Carry-On was taken without my knowledge. Looking for options.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-On was taken without my knowledge. Looking for options.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:01 pm

According to the title of the thread, the OP is looking for options. Pay $50 and get your bag FedExed to you or don’t spend $50 and let it stay where it is.
joshua362 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
None of this will be fully understood until the OP returns and selects one of the following I've culled from the hilarious responses & theories:

a) I placed my bag DIRECTLY under the seat in FRONT of me, and promptly fell asleep
b) I placed my bag ADJACENTLY under a seat in FRONT of me in my row, and promptly fell asleep
c) I placed my bag DIRECTLY under MY seat in by maneuvering it over bar designed to stop bags from sliding forward, and promptly fell asleep
d) I placed my bag on the floor under MY legs but NOT under the seat in FRONT of me and promptly fell asleep
e) I placed my bag DIRECTLY under the seat in FRONT of me, got up to use the lavatory possibly causing me to sit inadvertently in another row, and promptly fell asleep
f) I placed my bag DIRECTLY under the seat in FRONT of me, got up to stow another bag in the overhead possibly causing me to sit inadvertently in another row, and promptly fell asleep

Any others? I'll edit.

If the bag was taken off terminal to a lost & found center I could easy see why they would want to FedEx it back.
I'm going with A, E or F as the OP stated that the bag was placed under the seat in front. Notwithstanding the mysteries of where/how the bag was originally placed, maybe re-placed, or maybe OP move seats, moved by others, etc (that's all on the OP), a separate (but related) issue is why the FA removed the bag off the plane. Most here are focused on the actions of the OP but what about the FA?
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, the unforeseen disadvantages of an open-seating system. You have to pay more attention to what your seat is than on an airline where you can put your boarding pass in your packet and it has your seat number. Perhaps that sounds simple for someone fully conscious and aware of all their surroundings, but heavily sleep-deprived, etc, it may be a bit different.

Imagine this situation: You're originally seated in some row, and you remember the people seated next to you. While you get up to use the lav, those people move to an empty row one row up or one row back. Now, if your main memory aid as to where you're setting is the people next you, you may end up sitting in the wrong place.
strickerj and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by thestrauch
Edit: Hey everyone, it looks like responders are looking for more details in order to give me a proper response. Again, new here, and I did not expect so much activity so quickly! I will give all the details I can.
  • I put my bag under the seat in front of me. When I woke up, I asked the man seated behind me. He stated that he didn't know whose bag it was and handed it to the flight attendant. I did not mean to make it sound like the bag was "magically" underneath my seat; I do not know where it was. I just assume that if the person next to me paid any attention to it then it must have shifted around.
  • I was not on any sort of substance. The flight was later in the night, and I had gotten almost no sleep the night before. I was just waiting to crash as soon as I got on
I think the OP meant to do A), thought he did A) but really did C) if his actions was to ask the man behind him who admitted to removing the bag.

The man behind him boarded, saw a bag in "his" space and thought someone had left it behind from a previous segment and did the right thing by getting a FA. I would have nudged the sleepy OP since something similar once happened to me but perhaps the man & FA thoughts were more towards reuniting the bag with an assumed just departed passenger before the plane took off.

Lucky get in back for $50, I've stupidly done/lost/left behind more costly items repeatedly.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
One thing that could be in play is how one's mind works in a sleep deprived state. Upon finally crashing, often the last several minutes will not be committed to memory.

So it is very possible the OP does not even really know what he did with the bags.

I do know that I have never seen my bag stored under the seat in front of me try to escape backwards past my feet.
joshua362, NextTrip and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:37 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I can’t believe this thread is as long as it is!
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:41 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by exwannabe
I do know that I have never seen my bag stored under the seat in front of me try to escape backwards past my feet.
I have -- I pushed it back underneath the seat in front of me, and a few seconds later the person in the seat in front of me stood up looking somewhat disappointed and put a smallish bag in the overhead -- but I suspect you meant "... and subsequently underneath my own seat"...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.