Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Carry-On was taken without my knowledge. Looking for options.

Carry-On was taken without my knowledge. Looking for options.

Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
...and on the part of the FA for not quickly realizing whose bag it was.
I'm disappointed that the FA did not make more effort to pair the bag with the owner...the bag obviously belongs to a passenger on-board.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
I'm disappointed that the FA did not make more effort to pair the bag with the owner...the bag obviously belongs to a passenger on-board.
I disagree. The bag does not "obviously" belong to a passenger onboard if it is under the seat in front of an unoccupied seat. But more likely belongs to a passenger that has just deplaned. Time is of the essence to get it reunited with that passenger by removing it from the plane before the passenger leaves the terminal or the plane takes off with the bag onboard.
nsx, wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by NextTrip
I disagree. The bag does not "obviously" belong to a passenger onboard if it is under the seat in front of an unoccupied seat. But more likely belongs to a passenger that has just deplaned. Time is of the essence to get it reunited with that passenger by removing it from the plane before the passenger leaves the terminal or the plane takes off with the bag onboard.
Then the cabin crew and the cleaning crew failed. Boarding should have not started. The crew working that flight failed to ensure that all passengers have their luggage with them and no luggage was left behind. The cleaning crew failed to notice bag and removed if off the plane. The new or same crew failed to ensure that the cabin was safe prior to boarding.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:15 pm

Then the cabin crew and the cleaning crew failed. Boarding should have not started. The crew working that flight failed to ensure that all passengers have their luggage with them and no luggage was left behind. The cleaning crew failed to notice bag and removed if off the plane. The new or same crew failed to ensure that the cabin was safe prior to boarding.
Oh please.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
The cleaning crew was probably too busy trying to keep out of the way of the thru passengers moving to the exit row and bulkhead seats...
joshua362, wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by NextTrip
Oh please.
Nice elementary response, way to go! Try again, you can do better.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:00 pm

The crew working that flight failed to ensure that all passengers have their luggage with them and no luggage was left behind.
Southwest has a lot of multi-hop flights. It is very plausible for the cabin crew to think the bag belongs to a through passenger - perhaps someone who went to the lav. It is only later toward the end of boarding that a new passenger discovers what they think is a forgotten bag.

Did the OP place a bag in the overhead bin? Perhaps the OP placed a bag under a seat, then moved slightly up or down the aisle to place a different bag overhead, and then failed to return to the exact original seat.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Velocipediste
Southwest has a lot of multi-hop flights. It is very plausible for the cabin crew to think the bag belongs to a through passenger - perhaps someone who went to the lav. It is only later toward the end of boarding that a new passenger discovers what they think is a forgotten bag.
If the FA thinks the bag belongs to a through passenger, as you suggest, why did FA remove the bag from the plane?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:01 pm

If the FA thinks the bag belongs to a through passenger, as you suggest, why did FA remove the bag from the plane?
The post you quoted is a hypothetical on how it could have been left there by the cleaning crew, defending the cleaning crew
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp
The post you quoted is a hypothetical on how it could have been left there by the cleaning crew, defending the cleaning crew
I guess I missed that as the other poster quoted about "the crew working that flight" and did not quote "the cleaning crew".

Yep, it's possible the cleaning crew assumed the bag to belong to a through passenger (assuming the flight continued on).
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:10 pm

sorry, "cabin crew" not "cleaning crew"
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp
sorry, "cabin crew" not "cleaning crew"
Gotcha, no worries. I still don't understand why the cabin crew removed it off the plane if the cabin crew left it there.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:25 pm

Southwest planes aren't cleaned by a "cleaning crew" in between flights, only overnight. The flight crew picks up in between flights
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Gotcha, no worries. I still don't understand why the cabin crew removed it off the plane if the cabin crew left it there.
None of this will be fully understood until the OP returns and selects one of the following I've culled from the hilarious responses & theories:

a) I placed my bag DIRECTLY under the seat in FRONT of me, and promptly fell asleep
b) I placed my bag ADJACENTLY under a seat in FRONT of me in my row, and promptly fell asleep
c) I placed my bag DIRECTLY under MY seat in by maneuvering it over bar designed to stop bags from sliding forward, and promptly fell asleep
d) I placed my bag on the floor under MY legs but NOT under the seat in FRONT of me and promptly fell asleep
e) I placed my bag DIRECTLY under the seat in FRONT of me, got up to use the lavatory possibly causing me to sit inadvertently in another row, and promptly fell asleep
f) I placed my bag DIRECTLY under the seat in FRONT of me, got up to stow another bag in the overhead possibly causing me to sit inadvertently in another row, and promptly fell asleep

Any others? I'll edit.

If the bag was taken off terminal to a lost & found center I could easy see why they would want to FedEx it back.
nancypants and ryw like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm going with E or F.

The style of the original post does not seem troll-like to me. It seems like a young, inexperienced flyer who also is perhaps not as articulate in writing as some others might be.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.