Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Carry-On was taken without my knowledge. Looking for options.

Carry-On was taken without my knowledge. Looking for options.

Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
Originally Posted by nsx

I hope this situation is different, and that the omitted facts support the complaint. Otherwise readers' time has been wasted answering the wrong question.
Very good point. Would also love to see some statistics on "one and done" FT posters.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The facts seem quite clear to me. Unless OP is lying, the bag was underneath his seat. It should not have been. It clearly did not belong to the passenger behind OP who noticed it, properly pointed it out to a FA who had it removed.

Hopefully WN / TSA / Airport police checked the bag for explosives before turning it over to L&F. There is no reason for WN to absorb the cost of rerouting the bag.

Good for the alert passenger and good for WN.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by nsx
I asked for more facts but the OP has not returned. In these forums it's sadly common for a poster to raise a complaint while presenting a favorably slanted view of his own role. In the AA account police thread almost every complaint of unfair enforcement contains lies by omission. Only rarely will the poster return to admit lying to readers.
If the OP's claim inquiry is $50-$60 to FedEx his bag, I don't see a "lying to the readers" payoff. Attention may be the goal. And we're all subject to that pitfall. If you smell hoax, lock the thread.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Bag was at OP's feet, shifted back into foot space of pax behind who may at that point not have boarded yet, when that pax boarded they alerted FA.

IMHO FA should have had the presence of mind to ask the pax in the seat ahead (OP) and this is a customer service failure. Of course pax behind was right to alert FA (or perhaps should have asked OP first, both options are acceptable to me), the FA should have evaluated the situation a bit more critically however.
MSPeconomist and jinglish like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by thestrauch
Hi everyone; I am new here on the forums.

Long story short...
Please post the long story so we might be of assistance.

Be thankful you are getting the back back! I once deplaned with large bag of expensive food (sushI) left under the seat IN FRONT OF ME) and knew exactly where I was sitting (exit row). Just got past security at a very small station (ISP) and TSA had closed up for the night. I found someone at the WN counter and asked if it could be retrieved before the plane left (I'm sure we/them were delayed). After a feeble (employee) attempt to call/reach the gate and 15 minutes later, I chalked it up to my own stupidity and left hungry...

Bag mysteriously shifting, leaving at one's "feet", bag jumping the bar under the seat, not able to wake the dead in midst of they ensuring commotion - just so much left out, misrepresented and embellished here. I'd bet OP was in the bulkhead row. I once sat (came very late) in row 2 (another airline) and found a bag in "my feet space" and said something to Mr. Row 1. He nicely asked to leave it there for takeoff, mumbled something about the FA "breaking his balls" and I was happy to help out for my fellow passenger.
nancypants and BSAChris like this.

Last edited by joshua362; Mar 1, 2019 at 9:34 am
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Had the FA only consulted his crystal ball he would have known that the bag belonged to OP and could have either woken OP and had OP deal with it or left him to sleep and placed the bag in an OH and told OP when he awoke. A very clear CS failure under FT logic .
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Had the FA only consulted his crystal ball he would have known that the bag belonged to OP and could have either woken OP and had OP deal with it or left him to sleep and placed the bag in an OH and told OP when he awoke.
Maybe the FA did that and there was no space in the bins. An argument ensued. Not backing down is a very familiar narrative. The "sound asleep" part seems invented. But a FedEx shipment fee is not much of a scam.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:20 am

If no one is claiming the bag then the assumption is it was just recently left their by a pax that just departed...so take it off the plane so that person can quickly get it back

Now about waking up Sleeping Beauty...
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
In the absence of additional info.... while the math just isn't adding up, we should also remember Hanlon's razor, with some additions, and:

"not (immediately) attribute to malice (or just negligence) that which is adequately explained by stupidity (or naivete or maybe just being inconsiderate)."

I mention "inconsiderate" because I was on an Aer Lingus flight back to the ORD last year where the lady in the bulkhead in front of me kept jamming her purse into my feet. After it was "gently" returned to her by said feet a couple of times, she told me that I needed to let her put it there because she didn't have any space ahead of her. Luckily the very helpful FA was right there and told her to put it up above.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the bag hadn't mysteriously slid back (while the aircraft was parked at the gate) and then been removed, OP would presumably have had the bag unsecured behind his lower legs during takeoff. This is a big safety violation and could have easily compromised the ability of others seated in his/her row to evacuate the aircraft quickly in an emergency.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:39 am

OP provided lots of details that took place while they were "sleeping" but no details of when they were awake
joshua362, wrp96, emrdoc and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
OP first and last activity = this post

Troll
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:00 pm
m44

Programs: USAir
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by nsx
Did you put the bag under your seat? Even if you were sitting in the front row, that's a no-no. I don't see how a bag can move all by itself from the row in front of you to the row behind you before the plane starts moving. Southwest apparently doesn't believe that happened. Yet it would have made sense to ask everyone if they recognized the bag. If you were drugged asleep (Ambien is powerful) you might have appeared to respond and not recall what happened.
Dear Moderator NSX - this is totally unacceptable speculation. It is not a joke either even if the post is by a trol. Shame on you.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: none
Good news, OP. It's not lost. They found it.
It's in the Lost and Found. Treat it just like any other item unclaimed on a plane.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Three words:

Alcohol was involved

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.