Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finally hit by RR devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
You should always get better than 1 cent per RR point. The refundability of points reservations also raises the value of points above the straight math in my mind.
Very good point. Since we often make and cancel or change reservations, keeping track of Travel Funds can be a challenge. When booked with points, they go back into the account. No tracking needed.

Side note - I have some travel funds that have been applied to multiple tickets and then back into Travel Funds. My notes are getting complicated - LOL!
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by username
I just applied for the RR credit card in anticipation of a big non-travel expense ($5000). So, I will get the 40K sign up bonus. However, I am now having second thoughts on where to charge the expense (merchant can't split the charges to multiple cards) as the valuation is not so great, it seems.

- Citi Costco Card gets me $50 back
- AMEX MR gets me 5000 MR points (I have no time to get a new card or force the 20% bonus with 20 charges on my Everyday card)
- RR card gets me 5000 points + the sign up bonus although I can achieve the sign up bonus through other means since $1000 for 3 months is not terribly hard to do.

I don't have the immediate need to use the miles / points.

Thoughts? If we determine I have applied the card prematurely, would I be able to call Chase and close it (as if I have never applied so I can get the bonus some other time)?

Thanks.
I will leave it to others to point out the values of WN points, but the Costco Visa earns 3% on travel,so your cash back would be 150.00,not 50

Sorry- I misread your post stating 5000 non-travel spending
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:26 pm

I just applied for the RR credit card in anticipation of a big non-travel expense ($5000). So, I will get the 40K sign up bonus. However, I am now having second thoughts on where to charge the expense (merchant can't split the charges to multiple cards) as the valuation is not so great, it seems.

- Citi Costco Card gets me $50 back
- AMEX MR gets me 5000 MR points (I have no time to get a new card or force the 20% bonus with 20 charges on my Everyday card)
- RR card gets me 5000 points + the sign up bonus although I can achieve the sign up bonus through other means since $1000 for 3 months is not terribly hard to do.

I don't have the immediate need to use the miles / points.

Thoughts? If we determine I have applied the card prematurely, would I be able to call Chase and close it (as if I have never applied so I can get the bonus some other time)?

Thanks.
Well you applied about 2 months early as the companion pass for 2020/2021 applications start in early Octobers but CP aside you should have got the 80K /$5K Southwest business card. That's a much better bang for your buck if you are going to spend the $5k on one card. The AF is higher but also includes 4 upgrades and at the end you would have 85K points vs 45K
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks to all the replies. I guess I will charge to the WN card it is (don't have a business so not sure if I can apply for the business card).

I am UA 1K now (where there is no fees for award changes or cancellations) but between losing 1K status next year and UA's drastic devaluation of MileagePlus miles, I figure I move my short haul flying to WN once I lose my UA 1K on 2/1. I used to fly WN a lot but moved away when RR 2.0 came out. Now everyone is going that way....
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:48 pm

Thanks to all the replies. I guess I will charge to the WN card it is (don't have a business so not sure if I can apply for the business card).
You can and it's a very simple process at Chase, basically if your personal credit is good you are almost guaranteed to be approved for the business card even if you don't have a business
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by flyer4512
You can and it's a very simple process at Chase, basically if your personal credit is good you are almost guaranteed to be approved for the business card even if you don't have a business
Huh? I have a real business with plenty of revenue and Chase asks questions.

What do you put on the applications?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Tanic

I have done maybe a dozen or more business cards over the past 5 or so years. Sometimes they ask questions, sometimes not. I just rattle off some numbers if they ask. Nobody has ever asked me for details like bills, ownership papers, etc. I have seen where a few people have gotten pushed on that Maybe they had something else in their credit history that made the bank nervous. Worse case - you are right back where you were, without that card. Not like they are gonna send you to jail - LOL!
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Tanic

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I have done maybe a dozen or more business cards over the past 5 or so years. Sometimes they ask questions, sometimes not. I just rattle off some numbers if they ask. Nobody has ever asked me for details like bills, ownership papers, etc. I have seen where a few people have gotten pushed on that Maybe they had something else in their credit history that made the bank nervous. Worse case - you are right back where you were, without that card. Not like they are gonna send you to jail - LOL!

When I use my real business they asked questions but it was always a short approval process

For my wife we used her name as the business name, zero ( or as close as possible to zero) for years in business , income as low as possible.................never had to call

I will be under 5/24 later this year and even though I have a INK card that has been open for years I may apply using my name as a new business as I plan on applying for a bunch of business cards in 2020 and that route seems like a easier path

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.