Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Terminal change in EWR Newark to International

Old Feb 22, 19, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

We (family of 6) are flying domestic Southwest into Newark (EWR), which looks like it will be terminal A. Then on a separate ticket we're flying TAP international out of Terminal B. It'll be reversed on our way back to the states (TAP international into terminal B, then flying Southwest domestic Southwest out of terminal A). We won't have any baggage checked on any of these flights.
Questions: 1) is there a straightforward way of getting between terminal A and B without having to go through security again? 2) I have 3 hours between my southwest flight and TAP; is this a reasonable amount of time for both the outbound (domestic->international) and inbound (international->domestic) flights?
Thanks
Old Feb 22, 19, 1:37 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I have done it where I came in on Southwest and then left in the international B terminal at EWR.

There is no way to get from A to B without going back out and back through security, they are separate buildings.

I had a longer layover, so I actually walked, but the AirTrain will take you to that terminal. 3 hours should be enough time on the outbound. its a pretty easy terminal transfer. But having to go through border and customs on the way back makes it really difficult to predict whether it will be enough time. I usually end up staying overnight and flying out the next day when I have repositioned to EWR. If you have Global Entry, then it would be a lot easier.

But if its not a problem in Border Customs, then its a pretty easy transfer on the AirTrain between the two terminals.
Old Feb 22, 19, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MelloChatt View Post
We (family of 6) are flying domestic Southwest into Newark (EWR), which looks like it will be terminal A. Then on a separate ticket we're flying TAP international out of Terminal B. It'll be reversed on our way back to the states (TAP international into terminal B, then flying Southwest domestic Southwest out of terminal A). We won't have any baggage checked on any of these flights.
Questions: 1) is there a straightforward way of getting between terminal A and B without having to go through security again? 2) I have 3 hours between my southwest flight and TAP; is this a reasonable amount of time for both the outbound (domestic->international) and inbound (international->domestic) flights?
Thanks
1. No. The AirTrain that connects the terminals at EWR is land-side. (UA operates connecting buses air-side between its terminals, but you're not transferring to UA. Even if you were, unless your Southwest flight lands in the "finger" of Terminal A served by UA, you couldn't access the UA shuttle bus without re-clearing security: each finger at Terminal A has its own security checkpoint.)

2. I'm not sure that "reasonable" is the right standard for your particular itinerary. If, due to weather, lack of pilots, lack of aircraft, mechanical breakdown, etc., your Southwest flight were cancelled or significantly delayed, neither Southwest nor TAP would have any obligation to get you to your final destination. And, assuming that all of your TAP flights are on a single ticket, you would not only lose your outbound TAP flight, but your return flight, as well! That's a big risk to take!

​​​​​​
lougord99 and Often1 like this.
Old Feb 22, 19, 1:45 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
1. No. The AirTrain that connects the terminals at EWR is land-side. (UA operates connecting buses air-side between its terminals, but you're not transferring to UA. Even if you were, unless your Southwest flight lands in the "finger" of Terminal A served by UA, you couldn't access the UA shuttle bus without re-clearing security: each finger at Terminal A has its own security checkpoint.)

2. I'm not sure that "reasonable" is the right standard for your particular itinerary. If, due to weather, lack of pilots, lack of aircraft, mechanical breakdown, etc., your Southwest flight were cancelled or significantly delayed, neither Southwest nor TAP would have any obligation to get you to your final destination. And, assuming that all of your TAP flights are on a single ticket, you would not only lose your outbound TAP flight, but your return flight, as well! That's a big risk to take!

​​​​​​
The airside bus runs through Terminal C to Terminal B (request only) to Terminal A, but not in another direction. Also, Terminal B has different concourses just like Terminal A, and they are not connected airside either.
Old Feb 22, 19, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bitterproffit View Post
I have done it where I came in on Southwest and then left in the international B terminal at EWR.

There is no way to get from A to B without going back out and back through security, they are separate buildings.

I had a longer layover, so I actually walked, but the AirTrain will take you to that terminal. 3 hours should be enough time on the outbound. its a pretty easy terminal transfer. But having to go through border and customs on the way back makes it really difficult to predict whether it will be enough time. I usually end up staying overnight and flying out the next day when I have repositioned to EWR. If you have Global Entry, then it would be a lot easier.

But if its not a problem in Border Customs, then its a pretty easy transfer on the AirTrain between the two terminals.
OK, this is very helpful, thanks. I do have the option of staying overnight on inbound and outbound, but with a family of six that is its own hassle . Based on the responses here it it probably the most prudent thing to do in this situation though.
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 19, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post

​​​​​​
Thanks for your help. My tickets are all one-ways, but even so I would not want to miss a flight and end up stranded with 4 children. So staying overnight in Newark both ways is probably best.
Old Feb 22, 19, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
The airside bus runs through Terminal C to Terminal B (request only) to Terminal A, but not in another direction. Also, Terminal B has different concourses just like Terminal A, and they are not connected airside either.
So there is no bus at all from Terminal B->Terminal A? So on the inbound we would arrive in terminal B, go through customs, exit security, walk to terminal A, and enter security?
Old Feb 22, 19, 2:04 pm

So there is no bus at all from Terminal B->Terminal A? So on the inbound we would arrive in terminal B, go through customs, exit security, walk to terminal A, and enter security?
Take the AirTrain. Its upstairs and travels between all terminals. Exit security into main B terminal, follow signs to Air Train, its upstairs above departures and ticketing. Get off at A terminal, go downstairs to ticketing and security.

If you do decide to spend the night, all the hotel limo shuttles pick up at the parking garage, and you will take the AirTrain there as well.
MelloChatt likes this.
Old Feb 22, 19, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would definitely overnight, especially on the outbound. You are putting your onward TATL tickets at risk and that is a lot more of a hassle to deal with than overnighting. Rather than relying on websites, I would check with local airport properties of your choosing about room layouts and connecting rooms.
MelloChatt likes this.
Old Feb 22, 19, 4:31 pm

If I had four kids in tow, I would consider the Residence Inn Newark. It was very nice with free transportation from the airport and free breakfast. The room I had was a suite, but there were larger rooms. It was clean and new. It was within walking distance to a couple restaurants and a big mall. Not much airplane noise, but some.

Good luck.
MelloChatt likes this.
Old Feb 22, 19, 8:02 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
There is (see my post - C-B-A), but international arrivals would place you at land side anyway after clearing immigration and customs.
MelloChatt likes this.
Old Feb 22, 19, 9:04 pm

Programs: Starriott PP, UA 1K, Hertz PC

When you come out of customs, don't go thru transfer desk and take the air tran to A and go back thru security there. Either way you are going back thru security after customs and immigration
MelloChatt likes this.
Old Feb 22, 19, 9:23 pm

To put it simply:

There is an "airtrain" that simply moves between terminals every few minutes. It is free and VERY simple to negotiate. BUT, it is outside security at each terminal.

I agree with the poster above concerning hotels. There are about a dozen either on or "just" off the airport grounds. All have frequent shuttles to the airport 24 hrs a day. While you "should" have no issues on the outbound, why risk your vacation? And on the inbound, you are at the mercy of customs AND the airline to make your connection...
MelloChatt likes this.
Old Feb 22, 19, 11:40 pm

Since you have four kids in tow, Iíll add that I noticed most reasonable food options were land side and finding a water fountain past security was harder than it should be.
MelloChatt likes this.
Old Feb 23, 19, 3:05 am

Programs: Delta Plat
In a nearly identical situation at LAX, I consider 3 hr outbound and 2-1/2 inbound as rational minimum times. But this is w/o kids that effects both transit time and pain of mis-connnect. So I agree with OP's decision to play safe.

BTW, the reason why I allow more for the outbound leg is that you have to consider how early you need to arrive for an international flight. This is more lost time than immegration on the inbound.
MelloChatt likes this.

Search this Thread